Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Restarting/Unlocking after a crash

I've been loving calibre and using it daily. Very rarely, though, it will crash - no problem, it happens. The problem I'm having, though, is restarting.

If I try to open calibre from the Apps folder (I'm on a Mac), I get an error about another user having the program open. Is there a lock file that doesn't get deleted because of the crash? From the Finder, I haven't been able to restart calibre until I reboot.

I can launch calbre (after a crash) from the terminal, but then I have no icons/graphics at all - no book covers, no icons in the tool bar. The error message I see in the terminal is "QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap"

So, basically I'm wondering if there's a file I can delete after a crash to allow me to run calibre without rebooting?

Thanks.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What is the exact error message, it sounds like the old instance of calibre is not shutting down completely. Try using your OSX process maanger to locate the calibre process and killing it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
That did it - I assumed (always dangerous) since I had received the standard "app has crashed" message from the OS, that all the processes were stopped.

Much better than rebooting.

thanks
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I'm getting the same message when I run start calibre from Terminal, but when I check Activity monitor, I don't see any processes that are obviously calibre. Starting the from the icon in the Applications folder causes nothing to happen. A reboot didn't seem to fix it. Re-downloading and copying to my Applications folder seemed to do the trick.

Last edited by ahintz; 03-22-2009 at 02:11 AM.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote