Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
pfisterfarm
pfisterfarm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Converting pdf or Word to mobi with formatting

Is there a good way to convert pdfs or Word documents to Mobipocket? I've tried a bunch of things and they all throw the formatting out the window. It's not that complex... a cover image and then the text. I just want it to maintain line and page breaks. Everything I've tried seems to extract just the text. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
pfisterfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisterfarm View Post
Is there a good way to convert pdfs or Word documents to Mobipocket? I've tried a bunch of things and they all throw the formatting out the window. It's not that complex... a cover image and then the text. I just want it to maintain line and page breaks. Everything I've tried seems to extract just the text. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Well, Mobipocket Creator does an 'adequate' job, but BookDesigner will at least let you re-insert chapter breaks. And why in heck would you want to keep line and page breaks when every time you select a different font size (or font in those devices which allow multiple fonts) you're going to get all your formatting thrown out the window?

Derek

P.S. The four pictures are:
#1 My normal font size in Constantia
#2 Same font "size" but changed to Verdana
#3 Verdana font again but upped by one font size
#4 Now same size but changed to GaramondNo8

Notice how the text flow changes to fit the new font family/size. This is why hard-coded line and page breaks are not a 'good thing' under Mobi.

P.P.S. The ebook, "Fledgling" is by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee, but Francis Turner and Chris Dolley have taken - with M&L's permission - the weekly chapter posts of the (very) rough draft and bundled them into .mobi files. Unfortunately, I've not yet taken this ebook apart and re-formatted it to show the proper author names.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4485.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	20205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4486.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	20206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4487.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	20207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4488.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	20208  

Last edited by delphidb96; 12-31-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added pics
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
pfisterfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Well, Mobipocket Creator does an 'adequate' job, but BookDesigner will at least let you re-insert chapter breaks.
I've tried BookDesigner in the past, but didn't get too far... I thought it was a llittle bit hard to use (BookDesigner 4.0). I've tried it again just now, and I think I've finallly got something that's reasonably usable.

Can you not open Word or RTF in BookDesigner if Word isn't installed? I'm using Open Office 3.0 and I had a hard time finding something it would even open. Any version of Word I save the file in, it gave a series of very similar dialogs, mostly along the lines of "check your MS Word installation" (it even said this when I wasn't opening Word files, like a PDF). The only thing I could open was HTML. It didn't do too bad a job, with a little work, but things like italicizing was gone.

Is there a newer version than 4.0?

As for formatting, I wasn't wanting to stick strictly to the input file, but I wanted things like:

- the cover scan
- a page break before each chapter (I found an option in BookDesigner that seem to almost do that, but it missed them at seemingly random intervals, so I had to go through and add them in manually)
- a page break putting title pages, etc. on their own pages

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisterfarm View Post
Is there a newer version than 4.0?
Yes. Install the the latest update version on top of 4.0, see Wiki: Book Designer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
pfisterfarm

OK, that's what I had installed... thanks!
Advert