Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sure, I agree. But mechanical switches are prone to failure. I've had several failures of the power switches on monitors, for example. And the Kindle's page-turn buttons are very cheap plastic switches.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #47
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure, I agree. But mechanical switches are prone to failure. I've had several failures of the power switches on monitors, for example. And the Kindle's page-turn buttons are very cheap plastic switches.
Very true, mechanical switches are more more prone to break. I suspect if the touch screen fails to allow page turns, you likely have a bigger problem that won't allow page turns with the mechanical buttons either.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #48
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
While I can appreciate some of the conveniences that touchscreens offer, my reason for preferring physical buttons is not "oh my goodness I have to move my thumb, whatEVER shall I do?", it is similar to the reasons Piper stated above, I find myself having less "accidental" page turning or misapplied commands.

My hands aren't even particularly shaky, but traveling on Transit or being a passenger somewhere, (with portability being one of the selling points of e-readers), it differs from just lying on the couch still where I control the movements. I get a little bit better control.

I also like to read in bed, and many is the time that I've fallen asleep and woken up with my e-reader, having brushed against the blanket, turn it on from the sleep mode - open to books I didn't even select and "remembering" chapters I didn't read, but apparently the blanket or whatever it touched as I dropped it in the covers, did. Not so with my Kindle 4.

The fact that it is MORE work to turn a page is a bonus for me. Touch screens aren't for everyone, and I can appreciate that buttons aren't for everyone too.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #49
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
my Kobo Touch did not convert me.
I want buttons for page turning.
For everything else the touch is ok, although it is still way easier to mark a word on my Kindle keyboard then it is to mark one on my Kobo Touch.
Funny enough it is easier to write something on the Kobo Touch then it is on the Kindle Keyboard.

All in all, Touch is not bad, but for page turning I want buttons.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
my Kobo Touch did not convert me.
I want buttons for page turning.
For everything else the touch is ok, although it is still way easier to mark a word on my Kindle keyboard then it is to mark one on my Kobo Touch.
Funny enough it is easier to write something on the Kobo Touch then it is on the Kindle Keyboard.

All in all, Touch is not bad, but for page turning I want buttons.
Sony it is for you then.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony it is for you then.
The page turn buttons are very poorly positioned on the T1 and T2, to my mind. I wouldn't want to use them.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The page turn buttons are very poorly positioned on the T1 and T2, to my mind. I wouldn't want to use them.
Maybe so. I've only used then 2 or 3 times.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #53
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I like the position, find it comfortable for either hand with T1 and my 350. When I read one-handed, I use the buttons. I've been known to keep reading while unloading groceries at the checkout line.

The buttons are also great for flipping through pages fast. I very much like having both touch AND buttons.

Each to their own, however.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I like the position, find it comfortable for either hand with T1 and my 350. When I read one-handed, I use the buttons. I've been known to keep reading while unloading groceries at the checkout line.

The buttons are also great for flipping through pages fast. I very much like having both touch AND buttons.

Each to their own, however.
I like the buttons on my 350, but not on the T1. As you very rightly say though, this is an area where what works for you is what counts.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #55
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I like the buttons on my 350, but not on the T1. As you very rightly say though, this is an area where what works for you is what counts.
Yeah, it's very much an individual thing, makes me glad there are different readers available to suit many people, that's for sure!

I do admit that I don't like to use the buttons for long periods, but that applies to ANY button on ANY device, including my computer keyboard. Old RSI injury. One of the reasons I started in with a touch e-reader in the first place (Nook) and then went to Sony.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #56
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I started using the Sony buttons, 'cos I found the touch facility annoyingly unresponsive - until someone mentioned they thought I was using too much pressure.
Correct .....
I now rarely use the buttons - but I'd rather have them than not - and a very light swipe, or taps, etc.. have made me a touch fan.
So I'd now put up with not having the "comfort" factor of buttons, should they eventually get evolved out ...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #57
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I'm adaptable. If in the future, physical buttons got completely obsolete, I'd either adapt, switch to calibre, or read the paper kind of books in bed.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #58
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Hmmmmm......

I like reading on my iPod Touch because it's convenient -- it fits in my purse.

I LOVE reading on my old-fashioned Kindle (the last model that came out before they started all the new lines). I don't really analyze why, but mainly it's because it has a low contrast e-ink screen that is easy on the eyes, and the buttons mean interaction is limited (good for immersive reading), and overall, it's really designed to be a BOOK, and not a million other things.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE reading on an iPad. It's too big, it's too bright, it's too interactive. I love it for other things (like watching Amazon Prime videos).

So, I guess I'd say that I am fine with touch screens for everything else, but for reading, I prefer old-fashioned buttons.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #59
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I'm adaptable. If in the future, physical buttons got completely obsolete, I'd either adapt, switch to calibre, or read the paper kind of books in bed.

Buy a Cybook Opus or Pocketbook 360 both have ergonomically designed buttons and are easy and light to carry.
I prefer page buttons too, but on my Sony 350, my only touch reader, I usually swipe....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #60
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I use a 650. I use button and touch to turn pages, but I use buttons more. Sometimes using the touch-swipe is more conveniant. So ideally an ereader should have buttons and touch.

At this stage only sony and nook seem to keeping the buttons. Removing the buttons is to keep prices down. It worries me that in the future I will not be able to purchase an ereader with buttons as well as touch (i.e. if sony stops making them) because of market forces.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote