Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Snauzoo
Enthusiast
Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Question Using Sub-Categorization Scheme

Three options - disable, first letter and partition.

I created a custom column, #genre, so I could set up sub-genres in the tag browser. The sub-cat scheme is currently set to disabled. (it set itself, actually) but I do not understand what that means, since it is rather counter intutive since I have sub-categories. Some of the books came to us with genre:subgenre, but I had to figure out the #genre stuff first, by visiting calibre.com help. Gradually I am changing them to genre.subgenre (colon versus period naming scheme).

I would like to be able to show authors grouped by first letter of last name, so editing them would be a bit simpler. I have 2175 due to the fact that my husband's friends at work all give him their books and he dumps them into one big mess of a library which has become my life work to clean up (forget reading...) I am assuming that I need to set Sub-Cat Scheme to first letter to do this? Will this mess up my genre subgroups? And what, pray tell does partition mean? Just started using this program a week ago. Very powerful, wish iTunes had half the power for sub genres etc.

Last edited by Snauzoo; 06-29-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Snauzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You might want to read http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#tag-browser and http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_...roups-tutorial, although it seems as if you have already read the second.

Using calibre terminology, genre is a 'category' that contains 'hierarchical items' (sub-genres). Sub-categorization affects how categories are displayed in the tag browser. It does not affect the display of hierarchical items.

Selecting 'by first letter' or 'partition' will create openable sub-categories within the tag browser. This is solely for convenience of organizing and viewing within the tag browser. It does not create or change hierarchies. 'First letter' creates a sub-category for each first letter. Partition creates a sub-category for a number of books.

Which of partition or first letter you use depends on what is more convenient for you, how you think, and how you search. Partition gives you a controllable number of sub-categories containing a fixed number of books, which can be easier to navigate because they (can) take up fixed amounts of screen space. First letter gives you as many categories as there are first letters (not always 26), with each subcategory potentially very large because names do not fall evenly across the alphabet. For example, you have 2175 authors. If you use first letter, you will have between 1 and several hundred authors per letter. If you use partition and set the category size to 100, then you will have 20 subcategories with 100 authors in them, and one (the last one) with 75 authors in it.

The best thing to do is try them to see which you like. The choice is completely non-destructive.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert