Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
super16
super16 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Web browser on Nook STR

If you type in a URL under Search on the Nook Simple Touch, it launches a web browser. I'm not sure if this is an oversight or a feature that they're going to refine, but it's good to know given that the lack of a web browser seems to be a deal-breaker for some. I didn't notice anyone else bring it up, but if it's already been discussed here, please disregard.
super16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Good to know! Unfortunately B&N has delayed shipping mine till the 13th but at least they sent me a nice automated apology email.
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by super16 View Post
If you type in a URL under Search on the Nook Simple Touch, it launches a web browser. I'm not sure if this is an oversight or a feature that they're going to refine, but it's good to know given that the lack of a web browser seems to be a deal-breaker for some. I didn't notice anyone else bring it up, but if it's already been discussed here, please disregard.

This is an interesting discovery. Hopefully those that have theirs can comment soon.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Awesome! I can confirm this does in fact work as well. Searching goes to whatever URL you specify, and then a web browser opens where you can click on links OR type in another URL if you wish.

... Interesting, indeed.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Awesome! I can confirm this does in fact work as well. Searching goes to whatever URL you specify, and then a web browser opens where you can click on links OR type in another URL if you wish.

... Interesting, indeed.
Interesting. I wonder if you can download ePub's with the browser, say from DropBox, and if said downloads will go into the right folder on the STR.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
That's great news!

Could I trouble someone to try and go to a google calendar? If it works well, I'm sold..
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
I need to try this. Will report back when I do. Exciting!
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Does web browsing work via USB or wi-fi only ? Microwaves do tire my brain, and I want to avoid slowly developing a brain tumor over the next 30 years.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The web browser is somewhat buggy, which is probably why they didn't release it, but it's faster and nicer than the K3 browser.

If you tap the upper-right corner that looks like an outline, you get a series of menus for various settings, including a Recent Downloads page...

I got a Notification in the title bar that a .pdf had downloaded, and it appears in the Downloads list, but I cannot locate the downloaded file.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-07-2011 at 02:47 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
The web browser is somewhat buggy, which is probably why they didn't release it, but it's faster and nicer than the K3 browser.

If you tap the upper-right corner that looks like an outline, you get a series of menus for various settings, including a Recent Downloads page...

I got a Notification in the title bar that a .pdf had downloaded, and it appears in the Downloads list, but I cannot locate the downloaded file.
Plug it into your computer and start searching through memory...
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Quote:
I cannot locate the downloaded file.
I did, of course - I'm not an idiot.

It's not visible via USB.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Did you look in Library > My Files to see if there was a Downloads subfolder like the NC works?

This whole thread is very interesting! Maybe it's evidence that B&N is planning a future firmware update, but they couldn't get it ready and tested prior to product launch.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
It could just be an artifact of using Android. The Android search functionality will take you to the web to find things so maybe this is just that. Unless it's not the native Android browser...
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
EldRick
Evangelist

Just to re-affirm for all - I am not an idiot; Yes, I explored ALL of the directories visible (as well as hidden/system) on the STR, and THE DOWNLOADED FILE CANNOT BE FOUND THERE VIA USB.

If you want to know more, try it yourself.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
I went to the local store after reading this, and tried it out on the nook there. The 'tech' guy was standing with me, and was as excited as I was. He thinks it's either A) something in the product that lets it download books (in other words, the internet access that allows book downloads) but not supposed to be visible with the UI directly, or B) evidence that they meant to do more but are still working on it. We found that we could access all the google web apps (calendar, notes, gmail, etc) fairly easily- which is the seller for me. But you seem to have to know the web address you want. You can get to google.com easily, but when you try to 'google' something you get knocked out of the browser.
I hope it's B! But anyway this shows me that the device can do everything I wanted- B&N is either going to play nice or it will get rooted, lol.

The tech guy said he did get the feeling that they rushed release to have it out by Father's Day- so maybe more is coming on an update..
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote