Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #46
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
This may sound silly but dont knock it till ya try it! After my son was born someone bought us a Boppy Pillow......he didnt use it long and one day i found myself wrapping it around my midsection and resting my forarms on it while i was reading.......it converted my couch to THE MOST comfortable reading chair!!! It works so good....it is like having my very own portable reading chair.....in any chair!!!
That actually sounds like a good idea. We still have my son's boppy, i should try it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #47
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Leather sofa, goose down stuffed, with foot rests and reclines. The best
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
We have Stressless in the TV room, and these in the sun-porch ... Dutalier Gliders ....
We have an older model of one of their chairs. It's quite nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I prefer to read in bed, on the couch, in the hammock, and once we've finished the lounge, I'll also have a hammock chair:

Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #50
eugeneL
eugeneL began at the beginning.

Device: none
Very interesting I would like to have this one.
eugeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #51
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I unhesitatingly recommend the Ikea "Poang" - don't know if it's available Stateside, or if you have Ikea. You must have......? [/U]

Anyway, it isn't your classic "sink in & snuggle" chair, but has a kind of flowing ergonomic wooden structure, with choice of fabric upholstery (removeable) inc. leather if you're feeling rich.
It initially doesn't look comfortable, but I can assure you it is the bee's knees !

In fact, I've discovered the only problem is a tendency to drop off to sleep at the end of one of "those" sort of days - 'specially with a relaxing Laphroig/Sauvignon/Guinness inside me ..........

[Even more so if you go mad like I did, and get the matching footstool -
fatal !]

I also recently got a brilliant "proper" floor-mounted reading light there for £30, which is excellent for focussing the light area - but it hasn't made a great difference to the sleep/read proportion !

Agreed. We got a Poang a few months ago. It's basically my home theater chair. They look like this (I have mine with the black-brown finish but it's just like this otherwise).

The only thing I find is that it needs a slightly bigger head pillow for me. I normally tuck a pillow behind my head - I need to velcro something on there or something.

I tend to like laying down on the couch with a pillow though a lot also.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #52
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
I don't have a designated reading chair, so I just read wherever there's a chair. Most often, it's my desk chair which I got from Ikea. It's plastic, and small, and would probably be more comfortable if there was a cushion or 2. Also isn't really a good back support. One of these days, I'm really going to go shopping at IKEA for a comfortable reading chair.

One of these days...
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #53
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Speaking of IKEA, I'm in love with my Jappling--it's a leather arm chair, no footrest, but it's pretty excellent for long periods of sitting and reading.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #54
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Agreed. We got a Poang a few months ago. It's basically my home theater chair. They look like this (I have mine with the black-brown finish but it's just like this otherwise).

The only thing I find is that it needs a slightly bigger head pillow for me. I normally tuck a pillow behind my head - I need to velcro something on there or something.

I tend to like laying down on the couch with a pillow though a lot also.
I actually bought a Poang chair a year ago for $20 on craigslist. Thought it would be a great solution, and it is almost a great reading/watching TV chair, the problem is the angle. Like you said, you need a pillow, because if you lean your head back against it, your head will be looking up towards the ceiling. I never found a good solution for this chair, because my neck has to crook so far down, it makes it pretty uncomfortable. It's not as bad for TV, as the eyeline is a bit higher. But still not great.
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #55
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
Now this is one of the best and most on topic (forum-wise) threads I've seen here in a long while (I've gotten used to blabbering about everything and nothing in the Lounge lately ).
First off, I don't know how tall you are, but I'm pretty sure I'm taller, as I'm 208cm (about 6´10" for you Yanks and Brits who use unwieldy units which you can't even add or multiply properly cause they're non-decimal, yuk ! ), and I still have a chair that fits (though I wouldn't say I can completely rest my head on it).
My favorite chair is a kind of comfy office chair, with six sheels and a pretty soft cushioned leather seat and back, with hard plastic arm rests to the side (the seat has no sides). It's ultimate comfort, though may be too much, because depending on various factors (the fullness of your stomach, the amount of clouds in the sky, the exhaustion or lack of sleep you may be suffering from, and the intensity of the mental labor you're trying to accomplish) it may lull you to sleep, especially if you lean way back.
This is pretty much what it looks like :

except the arm rests are much more horizontal, like this :

But I most often read in bed (during the day), turning from one side to the other (never on my back).
I forgot to note my current solution:
I have my computer desk next to my bed (small NYC apartment!) with a chair similar to the ones above. When I'm ready to read, I rest my feet on the bed, which is relatively high as it is on risers, and recline back a little, like so:

Can you tell I am bored?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #56
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I can tell your artistic skill can just about match mine, which on a scale of 1 to 10 would be a -347^2*π.
According to the color scheme, you're an Indian throwing up ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #57
dhume01
Connoisseur

Just wanted to follow up. Found this chair on Ikea and it's not bad.

It allows one to stretch out while still getting back support. Also the fact that it's designed to bend the knees makes it more comfortable for long reading stretches. Need to have a good head rest to go with it. Recommended for tall people....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60075257/
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Wow: This thread started in May of 2011, and I'm just now discovering it. What a great idea for discussion. 'Scuse me now, while I catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Quite a while back I broke my neck in a horrific accident. It was operated on and still carries a metal plate and screws and a lot of bone overgrowth. As result I have constant neck pain and need a chair with a very upright back that goes all the way up to the back of my head. So I have an office chair bought with that in mind.

But I also like an 18th-century high-backed wing-armchair with a footstool. This sort of thing:

My grandmother on my mother's side had all Victorian furniture, including a Victorian sofa. No high-back stuff, though. I found her furniture to be excruciating uncomfortable, but extremely durable. She never changed any of the pieces at any time until her death in the mid-70s, at which time they went into the hands of an uncle and later an aunt. I have no idea how old they were, but I do know the bed she slept in dated to the Civil War. For those of us who have been fortunate enough not to have sustained any debilitating neck injuries, I wouldn't recommend Victorian, but I'm glad it works for you. High back chairs, though? Absolutely.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I read pretty much everywhere in the house, but this is the space that I have specifically set aside for reading:

That looks interesting. I tend to sit in chairs like a 13 year old teenage girl on the phone. One leg may be stretched out, the other may be tucked under my butt, while the rest of my torso rests in some godawful angle on one arm. That just might fit the bill.

My favorite place to read is outside in the gazebo, where I use this Zero Gravity Lawn Chair. Unfortunately it's been too hot to read outside during the day this summer, and the few late afternoons where it has been cool enough have been ruined by mosquitoes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zero Gravity Lawn Chair.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	91618  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-31-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrybuck View Post
I have lower back problems, so sitting still for long periods of time is a problem for me. The one chair that doesn't hurt me is the Relax the Back Perfect Chair. The darn things are expensive, but I can stay in it for hours with no problem. They come is sizes for tall and short people as well.
Expensive is right! I just checked the pricing. The one that most appeals to me would cost around $2,300 with the options. But what a chair! I'd love to own two (my wife would need one!), but I suppose I'll have to wait for the right lotto numbers to hit.