Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
darly85248
darly85248 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wink Greetings from Arizona!

Hello to all! I was introduced to this site while I was perusing Amazon.com
& read about the new Kindle. I knew Sony had an E-reader but I never seriously looked into any device. I'm a lazy reader that wishes I did it more & the thought of downloading a book without having to shop or having numerous hardcovers accumulating dust, made owning a "Kindle" more attractive.
I had no idea the devices had been out for awhile; I remember only seeing them recently. I'm curious to find out (since I'm a newbie) what devices are recommended. I'd like to try a system out (but I'm timid & leery about shelling out bookoo bucks).
If anyone has the time or inclination to give me their thoughts(QUICK thoughts..no lectures PLEASE), I'd appreciate the input.
I'm glad I found the site and look forward to reading the discussions!

Darly
darly85248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Well...tell us what you like to read That's a good start.

I lubs my Reader, but I know a certain member from Arizona who loves her Kindle just as much
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
darly85248

I like history, biographies, mysteries, P. Cornwell, Janet Evanovich, mysteries based on true history etc...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir

Oh, my God, another reader in Arizona! LOL.........

Actually, I am so glad someone else close to me has posted. This is a world wide forum, but no one else that I know of comes from our area.

Should you be in the Surprise area I would be happy to show my Kindle!

I got mine last June, and yes, it was a lot of money, but I bit the bullet, did without some other things, and haven't been a bit sorry.

Whichever device you get, I"m sure you'll be happy with it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by darly85248 View Post
I like history, biographies, mysteries, P. Cornwell, Janet Evanovich, mysteries based on true history etc...
Well if a lot of those tend to be hardcover bestsellers then maybe a Kindle would be better (they have the better prices by $2-5). Ooh did you read Devil in the White City?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I downloaded the first three Evanovich books (in one novel) for $9.59.

Have you researched whats available on Kindle books that you like to read?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
darly85248

The book you mentioned was GREAT!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
darly85248

I just started looking into the devices and haven't quite made it to the books....Sorry I'm not in your area....closer to Chandler,AZ
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Hello to all! I was introduced to this site while I was perusing Amazon.com & read about the new Kindle. I knew Sony had an E-reader but I never seriously looked into any device. I'm a lazy reader that wishes I did it more & the thought of downloading a book without having to shop or having numerous hardcovers accumulating dust, made owning a "Kindle" more attractive.
I had no idea the devices had been out for awhile; I remember only seeing them recently. I'm curious to find out (since I'm a newbie) what devices are recommended. I'd like to try a system out (but I'm timid & leery about shelling out bookoo bucks).
If anyone has the time or inclination to give me their thoughts(QUICK thoughts..no lectures PLEASE), I'd appreciate the input.
I'm glad I found the site and look forward to reading the discussions!

Darly
Hello Darly & welcome to MobileRead. There an entire section of the forums where you can read past discussions on which reader is a good fit for a particular person. As you read the pros and cons and recommendations, compare the issues/concerns to your own interests and that may help you make a decision.

Quote:
I just started looking into the devices and haven't quite made it to the books....Sorry I'm not in your area....closer to Chandler,AZ
Many of us would say that researching the books will help you make a decision on which device to buy. At this time, the very best prices for current releases is at Amazon.com -- but their books can only be read on a Kindle. If you buy the Sony Reader, you won't be buying your books at Amazon. If you buy the Sony Reader, it's likely you'll be buying most of your books through the Sony store -- unless you want to learn how to use format-shifting software. So, the availability of books and the prices for them are key components of choosing your hardware.

When it comes to the classics, you'll be able to find those right here at MobileRead -- in almost all the popular formats.

As far as hands-on goes, the Sony Reader is carried in most Target stores and the larger Borders bookstores. You can probably make some phone calls around your area to see if there's one in stock before you drive over. You can also check the Kindle discussions at Amazon for the "See a Kindle in your City" thread. I see several messages from Arizona (Mesa, Phoenix, and Flagstaff just in the first 6 pages of discussion). Or you could buy a Kindle and just invoke Amazon's 30-day return policy if you decide you don't like it.

There are other eBook readers as well. Check through the forums here for the various brands and where to buy them.

Regardless of which device you finally decide on, welcome to MobileRead. We're glad you found us.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Darly and welcome to the Forum. I have a Sony 505 and like it a lot. But I expect you'd be as pleased with the Kindle.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
darly85248

Thanks so much for your input! I'll be sure to check out the forums!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
darly85248

Thanks so much for your input! Illbe sure to check out the forums