Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Daily edition vs the touch edition

Hi all,

About a week ago, I bought the touch edition (PSR-600.) Stopping at my local best buy today, I saw that they had the Daily edition in stock.

Since I'm within the return policy of my first e-reader, is the daily edition worth the extra money? How well does the 3G work? (I'm in south jersey.) I absolutely love the form factor of the touch, is the Daily too big?

I'll go pick up the Daily edition tomorrow if I can be convinced its worth the extra money.

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
The extra real estate and EPUB justification support made it worth the extra money for me. I keep the wireless switch in the off position though
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I believe the 900 is worth the extra money because of the extra screen real estate, additional features, and improved readability compared to the 600.

Take a look at these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02lJJU0QIDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BdwwOGBGc
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
jissa
Tsarina of All Hedgehogs
jissa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I third the sentiments that the 900 is worth the extra money--I find pdf's pretty much unreadable on the 600, but the 900's extra screen real estate and contrast really make all the difference in the world.

The wireless features are nice, and I may use them more in the future but for right now I've found subscribing to the periodicals to be not worth the money. It is fun to browse through the books Sony has available for free if you're stuck somewhere random and bored, but definitely not a deal breaker.

It also appears that Sony is focusing on the 900 and 300 as the way of the future, leaving the 600 behind a bit. Currently this means that the 900 has top of the line epub support and firmware, while the 600 does not.

If you are mostly planning on reading drm free regular ebooks and find the current readability of your 600 acceptable, none of these issues probably matter to you, as you can convert any drm free regular ebook into a pretty nicely formatted lrf using Calibre (although I understand that calibre itself is backing off future support of lrf). However, if you want to read the books from the sony store, or any other drm store (with the obvious exception of Amazon. There you are stuck breaking the drm if you want to do anything), you may very well want the extra epub support.
jissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
the 3g is a standard AT&T cellular connection. do you live in an area with good AT&T reception? if not that might rule it out for you. the larger screen size is a personal preference. i have a 600 and am happy with the screen size. as for the display, there are plenty of conflicting reports that the screen is more or less readable than a 600. i would imagine if they had made any improvements to the 900's screen that they would have applied those to currently produced 600's as well (like a change in materials used for the touchscreen).
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jissa View Post
It also appears that Sony is focusing on the 900 and 300 as the way of the future, leaving the 600 behind a bit. Currently this means that the 900 has top of the line epub support and firmware, while the 600 does not.
Sorry, but where do you see evidence of this? The 600 was just released a few months ago, how has Sony stopped supporting it?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
the 3g is a standard AT&T cellular connection. do you live in an area with good AT&T reception? if not that might rule it out for you. the larger screen size is a personal preference. i have a 600 and am happy with the screen size. as for the display, there are plenty of conflicting reports that the screen is more or less readable than a 600. i would imagine if they had made any improvements to the 900's screen that they would have applied those to currently produced 600's as well (like a change in materials used for the touchscreen).
I've used the 600 and I find the 900 much more readable. It's so much better that I only have to use the small font size (I'm very nearsighted with astigmatism; my vision is shot). For periodicals I use medium. Why it is, I don't know; perhaps it's due to having more shades of greyscale. Shades of greyscale should, in theory, only effect images. When I purchased my 600 it was a savings of $183 compared to the 900. That savings was not enough to keep me away from the 900 once I tried one at a local SonyStyle Store.

Last edited by SCION; 02-02-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Edit: Savings of $163 not $183
Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

Actually more grayscale levels would give text a better appearance with subpixel rendering. But I can not find any evidence this technology is applicable to eInk displays.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Good thing is, it appears you will find a number of members who have had both, me being one of them

I have definitely found it to be an upgrade and worth the extra money. Here's why:

Accessories:

You get the Hard Case
Soft leather cover
AC Adapter

These alone could run you around $75

Hardware Features:

Removable battery, you could get a backup battery if you fear long times in between charges. unfortunately Touch Edition does not offer this.

Wireless, I live in Central NJ and signal has not affected me. I subscribe to the NY Post, it is nice to know wherever I am, that morning Pub is loaded in there. I could just as easily connect to my laptop every morning to download it directly, but grab and go with wireless is excellent. PLUS, someone suggests a book? Heh heh I could download it on the spot.

Extra Screen Real Estate, as mentioned over and over, it is really nice to have. I was a little nervous it would add to much to the overall size, but I was wrong. They shortened the hard button area so it only really adds about an inch to height. It really has made a difference in more content in reading area, and less page turns. For some reason, to me it appears to improve the contrast a bit.

Software Features:

Better accessibility to Dictionary, I don't have to tap a word to bring up the small version to activate the full dictionary, it's in there.

Better Landscape functionality, no more grayed out areas on the top or bottom of the screen plus the 2 page view option.

Wide margins, I like that you can fill in the margin spaces with more reading material, or you don't have to so you have that left over space for notes.

More size options plus you can zoom in on areas of each page.

And for your pleasure, here is a little photo comparison thread I put together:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70457

Good luck with your decision......let us know what you decide.

Last edited by DougFNJ; 02-02-2010 at 09:19 PM.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

If you do get the 900, make sure you get the hard case that should be included.

See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71419
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The 900 was worth it to me and I don't even use the 3G connection so far (if only the Wall St Journal price was 2/3rd what it is...).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Actually more grayscale levels would give text a better appearance with subpixel rendering. But I can not find any evidence this technology is applicable to eInk displays.
I don't know if 16 levels is enough to make anti-aliasing effective. I know I don't miss it at all on the 300 (200 ppi is plenty for my eyes) but I know different people have different thresholds. This is just a gut-feel guess on my part, no hard evidence to back it up.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
I don't know if 16 levels is enough to make anti-aliasing effective. I know I don't miss it at all on the 300 (200 ppi is plenty for my eyes) but I know different people have different thresholds. This is just a gut-feel guess on my part, no hard evidence to back it up.
The 505 also uses anti-aliasing with only 8 levels. Anything more than 2 levels and you have a good reason to anti-alias things. The more levels you have, the less harsh it looks. Higher DPI improves readability as well, and makes anti-aliasing harder to spot.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
300 like 505 doesn't have touch screen that is why it is so clear and has a good contrast without any additional improvements
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Well I ended up picking the 900 today without taking the 600 back. I'll try them both once it is charged.

So far I do like the new unit, except for how much thicker it is. After class, its time to play!

Thanks for the advice guys!

---dcross981
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote