Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Folder Support

I'm going to be purchasing a dedicated ebook reader to complement my N800.

The N800 is perfect for carrying around with me but the new reader will be mainly for home use and not for travel, so screen size needs to be at least 6 inches as the 5 inch readers are not much of an improvement on the 4 inch screen on the N800.

One of the main features I needs is the ability to organise the books in the device as I have a habit of carrying around alot (typically in excess of 100 books, closer to 1000 on occasion), so a function like folder support would be ideal.

Trawling through this forum does not seem to highlight how the readers organise the books. As far as I can see, the majority will have them in a long list organised by author. I really need to be able to filter this to a much smaller list.

I typically would like to filter by author and then series (in there are any) and reduce the number of entries displayed with each selection, hence folder support being a good option for this.

Can anyone tell be which readers have this capability (or a similar method) so that I can decide which to get.

BTW, I live in the U.K., so that rules out readers tied to specific countries like the Kindle.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Sony's have "collections", but not folders.

The next firmware update for the Bookeen Cybook will have folders (they are already on the 5" Opus). The Hanlin V3 (BeBook) has folders. The Cooler and Elonex 600EB both have folders.

The iRex iLiad and DR1000S have folders, although on the iLiad they come with an iRex-specific metadata overlay.

If you like FBReader on the N800, note that OpenInkPot uses FBreader and CoolReader. It currently runs on the Hanlin V3, but it does not use FBReader's library interface. Standard Desktop FBreader is also available on the iRex iLiad and DR1000S.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a lot fit my bill, any idea how Sony's "collections" work?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Sounds like a lot fit my bill, any idea how Sony's "collections" work?
They're like single level folders. Kind of like a playlist on an MP3 player. They come in handy if you're a big 'series' reader as you can put the series in order.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru

I don't tend to read many 'stand-alone' novels I mostly read series.

This doesn't rule out the Sonys' then, which is good as I'm liking the PRS-600 which is meant to be coming to the U.K. in a couple of weeks.

This gives me plenty of food for thought.

Thanks Guys.
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
If you have a lot of books, this will sound like a lot of work, but ...

I actually rename all my series books like this:

HH 1: On Basilisk Station

Where HH is a series (Honor Harrington) and 1 means its the first book in the series. Now, one reason for this is because I use a Kindle and it doesn't support folders. However, even with folders there could be a problem because I don't know what order to read the books in. Many books (e or otherwise) don't list the series on the cover and many times the e-covers are too small to read. In paper, I used to solve this by looking at the 'other books by this author' listing at the beginning of the book. However, this is usually left out of ebooks. As a result, it can be difficult to figure out the order for reading a series.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote