Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which science-fiction book will spark our imaginations in August?
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke 13 27.08%
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs 8 16.67%
Lost Horizon by James Hilton 11 22.92%
Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks 15 31.25%
Roadside Picnic by the Strugatskys brothers 15 31.25%
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 12 25.00%
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card 18 37.50%
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds 13 27.08%
Solaris by Lem Stanislaw 11 22.92%
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis 19 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #46
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
No, don't worry about it, all will become clear!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I've started this and have a question. I'm towards the beginning, and they are speaking "middle english?", am I supposed to understand this when someone speaks it? I'm getting a little hung up on it, and I find it a very minor distraction to the story.
You can understand it just as much as the character hearing it. Don't worry about it.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've started Doomsday and am about 100 pages or so in, and one thing that has really struck me so far is how dated certain things in the "near future" feel despite the book being written relatively recently. I expect it of old sci-fi books and films, or even those 70s ones (I even just watched a really fantastic 70s German sci-fi film about virtual reality called "World on a Wire", but I digress), but one from the 90s? It's a little jarring!

In the author's defence though, near-future sci-fi would have to be the easiest fiction to become quickly dated, and we can't expect her to have predicted the absolute dominance of mobile phones and the internet. But it is the phones in particular that are so funny about this future, mainly because they're such an important plot element over and over again these first 100 pages. I find it entertaining though, and I basically imagine this as an alternate history where mobile phones and the internet as we know it never happened, a sort of unintentional nouveau-steampunk maybe ("landlinepunk"? ).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #49
Gabriel Morcan
Gabriel Morcan began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Hahaha... I also kept thinking about mobile phones while I read that part and how she couldn't predict them. The lines are often times engaged, a thing that also happens with mobile phone, but hey, they do have video calls.

O.S. Card did a better prediction. In "Ender's Game"'s near future, internet forums play an important role in everyday life.
Gabriel Morcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #50
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Perhaps leave this for the discussion thread?
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #51
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Is there a reason for waiting so long before we can put up comments? I assume it's so as not to spoil things for those who haven't read it yet, but surely in that case those people could simply not look at the thread until they were ready?

I'm going away for 10 days early tomorrow morning Australian time, so won't be able to make any comment until I'm back. By that time there probably won't be much point, so I shall just say here that I enjoyed it and gave it four stars.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Is there a reason for waiting so long before we can put up comments? I assume it's so as not to spoil things for those who haven't read it yet, but surely in that case those people could simply not look at the thread until they were ready?

I'm going away for 10 days early tomorrow morning Australian time, so won't be able to make any comment until I'm back. By that time there probably won't be much point, so I shall just say here that I enjoyed it and gave it four stars.
We've been through this before, and the reason for waiting until the 20th is indeed to have a target date when everyone can start the discussion at the same time; not only the slower readers, but the faster ones as well. Speed readers can wait until the day before the discussion date to read the book if they want the book to be fresh in their minds, while slower readers don't have to worry that all the important points will have been made by the time they're ready to begin the discussion.

But since it is now the 20th, you can add your comments in the August 2013 discussion thread of Doomsday Book by Connie Willis:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220478
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #53
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Ah, thank you Tom. Sorry - I was thinking the thread would be going up on 20 August your time, rather than UK time.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote