Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Gary King
Gary King began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4
Question Latest Calibre gives me the error "'calibre.app' is damaged and can't be opened."

I was using Calibre from July 20. Today I updated it to the latest version. Now when I try to open it, it says "'calibre.app' is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

I tried downloading older versions of the app, with the same error message. Any version released on or before July 20 seems to work, while those that are version 0.9 or above don't work.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this? And is there any way to get this to work without having to enable "Allow applications downloaded from anywhere" if possible?

Last edited by Gary King; 10-22-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Gary King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary King View Post
I was using Calibre from July 20. Today I updated it to the latest version. Now when I try to open it, it says "'calibre.app' is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

I tried downloading older versions of the app, with the same error message. Any version released on or before July 20 seems to work, while those that are version 0.9 or above don't work.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this? And is there any way to get this to work without having to enable "Allow applications downloaded from anywhere" if possible?
MAC?
There are specific instructions (on the download page) on HOW to install.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
Gary King

Yep, Mac. I've already followed those instructions. The latest OS X version, Mountain Lion, adds Gatekeeper to prevent unsigned apps from running. I had to change the setting to allow all apps to run in order to run Calibre; normally this isn't necessary, and I can just force open the app.

So, something is really broken with the Calibre app for Mac lately.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is signed and works with Gatekeeper just fine. Make sure you are downloading it from the official calibre download site.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Gary King

Yep I am downloading it from the official site (I normally download it from the "New update detected" dialog that Calibre pops up every time I open the app, considering there's a new version about once a week). The latest version appears to be busted because as I said, earlier versions were not signed as an "identified developer" and so I had to right-click -> open, but now I can't even do that. I can still download the older versions and do that, too, so something changed in the past few versions.
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me and the ~ 30,000 people that have downloaded the dmg for 0.9.3 so far. http://code.google.com/p/calibre-ebook/downloads/list

And the calibre dmg has been signed since version 0.8.61 which was released in July. I happen to know that since I had the unmitigated pleasure of paying Apple for the privilege of developing signed applications for their OS.

So if you're having trouble with the dmg, I suggest you investigate your machine for the cause.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote