Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No advance to next page

With several of my ePUB's (have not checked them all of course) I have the problem that after the cover, titlepage and usually a kind of pologue, the reader will not advance to the next page. Not with a swipe and not with the button. If I open the ToC and select the next chapter, it works without a problem.

I checked the ePUB, but I cannot find anything strange with it. There is no strange code and the opf is fine. Anybody else got this?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, I have seen this problem too. I think it may have occurred on a file that I downloaded from Project Gutenberg. I do the same as you suggest which is to advance the pages via table of contents navigation. After that the rest of the file is ok.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just had a thought, would it be connected to being a short chapter, not even filling one page?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Just a random thought - have you edited the file with Sigil? If not, try that. There was a problem in another thread where the end of the chapter was "missing", and it was caused by a mismatch (on some <div> tags from memory). Sigil fixed that automatically when it opened the file.

Can you share one of your problem epubs so some other eyes can look at the structure?

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This may be a complete red herring, but I have had page turning issues on Sony readers with a couple of retail epubs where the .opf file contained a reference to a page-map.xml file in the spine section i.e. .opf file contains
Code:
<spine page-map="page-map" toc="ncx">
I believe I got round it by simply hand-editing the line to
Code:
<spine toc="ncx">
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard

I create all my books in Sigil and there is really nothing special in the code. There are just standard paragraphs. There is also definitively no page-map in it.
So far they only thing I can think of is the size of the xtml file, but haven't tested it yet.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
So far they only thing I can think of is the size of the xtml file, but haven't tested it yet.
Running an epub-epub conversion in calibre would make sure the xhtml files were correctly sized. If the problem is gone in the conversion then that was the problem.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

ePUB to ePUB conversion in Calibre is creating redundant and very ugly code. It can also change the layout of your book and should be avoided. I would never ever recommend that to anyone.
I know of the size issue with ADE and I don't mean that the files are too big. I mean that the file is too small. I have a feeling that it is caused by a file which doesn't fill a complete page.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I wasn't suggesting you use the converted epub, merely that a conversion could be used to troubleshoot a 'file too big' size problem. Anyway, as you know this is not the problem, I'll retire from this thread.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
mhr
mhr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
With several of my ePUB's (have not checked them all of course) I have the problem that after the cover, titlepage and usually a kind of pologue, the reader will not advance to the next page. Not with a swipe and not with the button. If I open the ToC and select the next chapter, it works without a problem.

I checked the ePUB, but I cannot find anything strange with it. There is no strange code and the opf is fine. Anybody else got this?
I have the same issue with my device. Maybe a firmware update will
help. I have to check that for myself later.

For the time being I usually solve that problem in changing the font size.
That seems to help for my .epub books (which are done by SIGIL).
mhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have had two books out of 200+ that were like that. Both read fine on my other Sony readers but not the T1.

I had previously converted them in calibre but did it again and it worked for one. I convert all of my books using calibre because I like the formatting to be a certain way. Don't really care about how the code looks inside generally as long as the book looks good on the reader.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

The formatting will change after conversion via Calibre.

Anyway, the issue indeed seems to be that the page is too small. But, it is a bit more complicated than that. The size includes pictures and so on. It is the whole package. So, a small page with only text will be 'stuck'. A page with one line and a large image will not be stuck.
Lets see if I can create a bug-report to Sony. Probably they won't do anything with it, but still.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
evolutionary
Enthusiast
evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Google Nexus 10
I was being puzzled by just this problem on my PRS-T1, until I saw this thread. Does anyone know what the 'size limit' is under which this problem starts to occur?
evolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

I am working on a test ePUB to figure this out. What makes it strange, that if there is an image it will work fine. So, in my test I will also include fake pictures of different sizes. Perhaps this weekend I will know more.
I sent a bug report to Sony and they claim they will work on it. However, I don't expect a fix...
Old 06-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
evolutionary
Enthusiast
evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Google Nexus 10
Good idea, I'd be very interested in the results. I'm working on a poetry collection, which I intend to upload to the forum here when done, and I'd like to have each section introduced by a page with just one word on it - hence my running into this problem.
evolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote