Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Dencarwill
Dencarwill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Exclamation Page Error!

Can someone help me with my Sony Reader. It is usually wonderful, but I am now having a problem opening a book. The book is OK on my computer and appears to be OK on the reader until I try to open it - it just shows Page Error. This has never happened before. I downloaded 2 books at the same time, the other one is fine.
Dencarwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I've had this issue once too and never found out what the cause was (didn't try very hard either). What I did was to open it in Sigil, run "Validate ePUB" and then save it. After that it worked fine.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
it is most likely caused by the book not being split in to chapter files. you get page error if 1 of the component files is too large. it is easy to fix in sigil / calibre. try "converting" epub to epub in calibre then see it the result opens OK on your reader.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I had this happen once, I deleted the book, d/loaded it onto PC, reloaded it, all OK.

Dunno why ...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Which model Sony reader do you have? Some of the older ones got the page protected error for a few different reasons.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I've also seen an error (sorry, I don't recall the exact wording but I think it might be "invalid page") on my T1 when I try to re-open a book after I modify it (in say Sigil). I've tracked this down to the entry for the book in the "current_position" table in books.db on the device pointing to an invalid location. The actual location in the book is stored as a reference like "OEBPS/Text/asimov-youthebook-3.html#point(/1/4/104/1:252)" and if that position no longer valid you get the error with no way to recover on the reader itself.

There's two ways around this. First, as carpetmojo said, just delete the book from the reader and reload. The second is to use one of the SQLite tools and find your book's ID in the "books" table in the books.db, then delete the entry for that ID that from the "current_position" (remembering that the book ID column is called "content_id" in the "current_position" table). Needless to say I usually use the first option .

I think, but am not sure, that my old PRS-350 simply went back to the start of the book if it got confused by where it thought your current position was rather than this annoying behaviour on the T1.

I've been thinking of raising a feature request in Calibre to handle this, but I'm still not sure what the right thing to do is. The sledgehammer would be for Calibre to always remove the "current_position" entry for any book that it replaces, but that also removes where you're up to if the location in "current_position" is still valid which would be annoying. The correct thing would be for the reader itself to behave the way I recall the PRS-350 working - if it's confused, just go to the start of the book instead of putting up an error.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote