Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #946
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
sadly k3flasher's only for linux, but a lil easier to use than atk.
k3flasher is built against libusb -
so it should build for Windows also (one of the reasons for using libusb).

When you get it built for Windows, please post a copy (binary and any source patches you had to apply).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #947
PabloEr
PabloEr began at the beginning.

Device: K3wifi
Colleagues - on steps pls...
Concerning battery - I will charge the battery in other Kindle. It isn't charged in the USB Downloader mode. I lcharged in 2 days - voltage became 3.2 volts. Now I charging in other Kindle (simply I opened a cover and I inserted).
PabloEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #948
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEr View Post
It isn't charged in the USB Downloader mode. I lcharged in 2 days - voltage became 3.2 volts.
Known, and well documented here.
Quote:
Now I charging in other Kindle (simply I opened a cover and I inserted).
Old 12-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #949
PabloEr
PabloEr began at the beginning.

Device: K3wifi
Colleagues - step by step manual please... I`m real noob in Kindle development.

Merry XMAS, dear !!!!
PabloEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #950
Mariodood
Mariodood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
What happened to this thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2202022

The link is broken...

Also, why is debricking Kindles such a big deal? I'm new to Kindle homebrew, in what situation will your Kindle get bricked?
Mariodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #951
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariodood View Post
What happened to this thread?

The link is broken...

Also, why is debricking Kindles such a big deal? I'm new to Kindle homebrew, in what situation will your Kindle get bricked?
That URL is broken because is contains ellipses ("...") inside it. You need the original URL, which is probably a "showpost" URL like this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2202022

You mignt not be able to view the full URL in the forum posts, in which case you need to press the QUOTE button and copy it from the edit box, or you need to click it and copy it from the web browser URL address.

EDIT: Personally, I prefer to link to "showthread" instead of "showpost", so that you can see it in the context of surrounding posts:

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-25-2012 at 03:36 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #952
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
Couple of questions:

1. Will this help my Kindle 3 Keyboard (WiFi & 3G) that keeps freezing?

2. Will this restore to pure stock firmware (no jailbreaks / hacks)?

Cheers

Stewart
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #953
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
Couple of questions:

1. Will this help my Kindle 3 Keyboard (WiFi & 3G) that keeps freezing?

2. Will this restore to pure stock firmware (no jailbreaks / hacks)?

Cheers

Stewart
1) Tell us why your K3 keeps freezing and we could answer that one.

2) Sort-of. Some of the images have the jailbreak installed. But of course you can always uninstall whatever the image has pre-installed after you write it to the device.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #954
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) Tell us why your K3 keeps freezing and we could answer that one.

2) Sort-of. Some of the images have the jailbreak installed. But of course you can always uninstall whatever the image has pre-installed after you write it to the device.
For some reason it keeps freezing after a couple of days of being Idle, and it doesn't respond to the Power Switch (the green light flashes, but nothing happens on screen till I charge the device).

Once I actually get the device to turn on, after a bit of charging (5 minutes or so) it does a full reboot, with the progress bar along the bottom.

When it does turn on, the battery is still almost fully charged, so it doesn't seem to be a battery problem?

I have posted about it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200523

Hmmm, upon looking into it, it maybe is a battery problem!

Last edited by StuMcBill; 01-03-2013 at 09:16 AM.
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #955
knc1
Going Viral

Yup - battery problem.

The firmware only tests the "terminal voltage" of the battery - NOT the battery's capacity to store a charge.

For Li-Ion - the "aging effect" is to lose storage capacity - it will always re-charge to the full rated terminal voltage.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #956
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yup - battery problem.

The firmware only tests the "terminal voltage" of the battery - NOT the battery's capacity to store a charge.

For Li-Ion - the "aging effect" is to lose storage capacity - it will always re-charge to the full rated terminal voltage.
The portion of lithium in the battery that no longer takes a charge is referred to as its "rock content". That increases over time, even if stored new in the box. It increases faster with abuse, such as by discharging it too far (leaving it in diags mode, for example). It also increases as you use up its limited number of charge/discharge cycles, so for maximum lifespan you should only charge it when it shows a low battery (i.e. not every night).

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #957
WhiteDwarf72
WhiteDwarf72 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B
On Geekmaster's request I'm posting a fragment of our PM.

WhiteDwarf:
Quote:
I've just tried to unbrick my K4 black from its demo mode, but every time I'm doing, press power button+home and after LED goes off release power. My kindle just restarts and returns to its demo mode. My Win7 discovers the HID device and when I run mfg tool in the A panel I have this message: Kindle Internal Storage USB Device. I think it is not as it suppose to be. My kindle is still in it's happy demo mode.
geekmaster:
Quote:
The K4 magic key is the 5-way pad down button, not the home key.
It realy works on my K4 but I've stuck now with driver.

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-06-2013 at 06:24 PM.
WhiteDwarf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #958
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDwarf72 View Post
It really works on my K4 but I've stuck now with driver.
You need to install libusb-win32, as discussed in the "select boot" thread/

If you are running a 64-bit windows, you need to boot into "allow unsigned drivers" mode.

Or, you can instead run imx_usb_loader from the command line, instead of MfgTool. It is cross-platform, but simpler to run it from linux, so you do not need to deal with windows device driver issues like you do with MfgTool...
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #959
WhiteDwarf72

I've done the "no integrity checks" yesterday, after you've mentioned it. So I hope the checks are inactive until I change otherwise. I've seen a post with similar problem somewhere on the forum. There were even a screen shots, but I can't find it right now:/

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-06-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #960
WhiteDwarf72

For progress loging purpose:
I've used inf.wizzard suplied in libusb. I've created specific driver for my machine and it worked.

Ok, I've moved a bit. I flashed the diags but failed to flash diags kernel as it says file too large.

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-06-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Tags
debricking