Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Bob Rose
Bob Rose began at the beginning.

Reader To Alleviate A Medical Problem: Opinions Please ?

Hi,

Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about these readers, but think that one of these might help alleviate a medical problem.

A friend of mind has a neurological disorder, and cannot move their eyes very well.
This results in their being forced to only be able to read books or newspaper columns that are pretty narrow; perhaps 2 or 3 inches wide at the most.

Tried to see the Sony ebook unit at Best Buy and Circuit City, but neither has one in the store. CompUSA went out of business in our area.

So, can I please ask the following:

a. What are the screen dimensions ? It's only listed in their Specs as "6" diagonal"

b. Is it possible to easily re-format what the screen shows to a narrower width; the 2 or 3 inches range ?

c. Looked at the Sony Connect store, and see that most of their titles seem to be in the $ 15-18. Wow ! Is this typical ? Are their cheaper places to download from ?

d. Any way to get daily newspaper news from the NY Times, or perhaps our local paper, the Boston Globe ? Or other sources ?

e. Are there other units by others than Sony I should consider ?

Thank you very much; appreciate your help and time,
Bob
Bob Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rose
a. What are the screen dimensions ? It's only listed in their Specs as "6" diagonal"
90x120mm

Quote:
b. Is it possible to easily re-format what the screen shows to a narrower width; the 2 or 3 inches range ?
If it's your own content - yes. Commercial content - no.

Quote:
c. Looked at the Sony Connect store, and see that most of their titles seem to be in the $ 15-18. Wow ! Is this typical ? Are their cheaper places to download from ?
There's a virtually limitless supply of free books available from numerous sources - eg Project Gutenberg

Quote:
d. Any way to get daily newspaper news from the NY Times, or perhaps our local paper, the Boston Globe ? Or other sources ?
There are RSS feeds which can be easily converted into Reader content. What's available, I couldn't say.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rose
Where in MA are you located? I'm Not far off the Orange Line on the T. If you like, I can show you my Reader so you can see if it might be appropriate for your friend.

Jon
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Anything available with no DRM should be easy to process to meet your friend's needs. I'd bet that one of the volunteers providing eBook conversion software would be willing to cons up a switch that would put output into a narrow format. With that done, he'd be able to use any convertable format. SF & Fantasy from Baen. Older books from Project Gutenberg. News feeds and RSS off the web in general.

If the reader's screen seems good enough except for width, you should venture over to the Reader Developer's Corner and ask the folks there to support "narrow column" mode.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Can he move his head and his hands?

If he's got good eyesight there's always the iPod Nano. And you can have any ebook formated for it at this place. And many ebooks come directly in this format too! ex. Steve jordan books
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
Anything available with no DRM should be easy to process to meet your friend's needs. I'd bet that one of the volunteers providing eBook conversion software would be willing to cons up a switch that would put output into a narrow format. With that done, he'd be able to use any convertable format. SF & Fantasy from Baen. Older books from Project Gutenberg. News feeds and RSS off the web in general.
Using RTF and simply setting suitable left/right margins is probably the easiest way to do it.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well Bob, here is a photo of the Sony Reader with a large size font, and about a 2 inch column. I hope this helps you decide if it will be good enough for your friend. Also remember, that I could have editied the margins to be smaller and the font to be larger if need be.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060103.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	3855  
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Your all to be commended on the help you give to help the disabled.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
Your all to be commended on the help you give to help the disabled.
We'd try to help disabled or not. That's what we do.

Jon
Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We'd try to help disabled or not. That's what we do.

Jon
Yeah, we try not to discriminate against the non-disabled around here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Possibly a PDA is a better Reading Solution for your friend, because the Displays are less wide.

Best Regards

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #12
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I highly recommend an old monochrome Palm with AAA batteries. They are so easy to find eBooks for, easy to find batteries for and the screen is just the right width. You can use large bold fonts too if needed. See other posts here on the suitability of a Palm for reading. You can get them cheaply refurbished.

I got my M125 for $29.

Last edited by mogui; 06-17-2007 at 01:40 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Then I would recommend an Handera 330. It has an higher Resolution (240x320) than the old Palms (160x160), has PalmOS and runs from AAA. I got mine for 25 EUR.

tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If believe the original questioner said, in a different thread, that he has bought a Sony Reader!