Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
splendor
Enthusiast
splendor began at the beginning.

Device: irex
is the daily edition good with PDF?

as a student, I read a lot of A4 size PDF articles, is daily edition good at it? can it take note or highlight PDF? thanks
splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
What sort of PDFs do you read? Do they include a lot of figures? Do they tend to have two columns of text or just one?
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
PDF - NO !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
as a student, I read a lot of A4 size PDF articles, is daily edition good at it? can it take note or highlight PDF? thanks
The PRS 900 has a bug, whereby, if you have both PDF and ePub books on it, it jams up from time to time.

Thus, at the present moment in time it is NOT PDF compatible.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast
Dipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The PRS 900 has a bug, whereby, if you have both PDF and ePub books on it, it jams up from time to time.

jamming does not mean it is not compatible. Anyway, that seems to be the first I've heard of that.
Dipaksomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:

Are you referring to reports that an ePub and PDF of the same titled book cause issues?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What is this bug? The only problem I've come across concerns Library books and the library software Overdrive where Sony can't handle borrowed Library PDFs and ePubs simultaneously... other PDFs and ePubs co-exist with no problems... even Library PDFs and non-library ePubs and vice-versa...

Quote:

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PDF Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What is this bug? The only problem I've come across concerns Library books and the library software Overdrive where Sony can't handle borrowed Library PDFs and ePubs simultaneously... other PDFs and ePubs co-exist with no problems... even Library PDFs and non-library ePubs and vice-versa...
If you have both PDF's and ePub's on the same PRS 900 and bookmarks, when you attempt to sync with your PC or download from the Sony Store, you run a chance of the Protected Page Error on Shutdown which requires certain maneuvers to recover from a lock on the device. Even a reset does not make it recover.

To recover, one must open a different book at the cover page and then page down. All bookmarks, highlights and notes on all books are then lost. I reported it to Sony and it will be fixed on the next firmware upgrade.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Hmmm...? sirmaru's sidebar lists "Kindle" and no Sony. I wonder if this is a legitimate post or just Sony bashing? Anyone else seen this error? I'm seriously considering getting a 900 for PDF reading and would like an honest opinion. I mostly would read PDFs that are 8.5 x 11 inches in format and single column. My 300 is a bit too small for this, and converting really doesn't create good documents. I'm also considering the Kindle DX and possibly the iPad though I doubt the iPad will last the advertized 10 hours on a battery charge. (My iPod touches--1st and 2nd gen--both drain the batteries uber fast even with WiFi and BT turned off and the screen backlight on a low setting.) I also have serious reservations about the iPad and eBooks as Apple has a long history of limiting their hardware to run only what they want you to run.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Hmmm...? sirmaru's sidebar lists "Kindle" and no Sony. I wonder if this is a legitimate post or just Sony bashing? Anyone else seen this error? I'm seriously considering getting a 900 for PDF reading and would like an honest opinion. I mostly would read PDFs that are 8.5 x 11 inches in format and single column. My 300 is a bit too small for this, and converting really doesn't create good documents. I'm also considering the Kindle DX and possibly the iPad though I doubt the iPad will last the advertized 10 hours on a battery charge. (My iPod touches--1st and 2nd gen--both drain the batteries uber fast even with WiFi and BT turned off and the screen backlight on a low setting.) I also have serious reservations about the iPad and eBooks as Apple has a long history of limiting their hardware to run only what they want you to run.
I can't recommend the 900 for the primary purpose of reading PDFs. The zoom feature is wonderful and gets the job done, but it resets when you go to the next page. You would have to set the zoom to the optimal level again for each page turn. Changing font sizes is not an ideal option, that's what the zoom is for. Almost forgot, there is a margin crop feature that's great for PDFs (gets rid of all that white space in the margins).

The iPad would be great for reading my trade publications in PDFs and magazines because I'm in the market for a netbook alternative. The lack of handwritten annotation ability gives me reason to not pull the trigger.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
i had this freezing problem on my prs 505 it was the same book only in different formats
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I went ahead and purchased a 900 today at Best Buy. Best Buy had a tiny display set up with a 300 and a 600, neither of which was turned on. They had the 300 and 600 models locked away. Over to the side they had a cheap cardboard didplay for the 900 and two boxed 900 models. Not a salesperson in sight, not that they would have known anything about the 900.

At any rate I'm currently charging it up and hope to test it out with my PDFs later this afternoon. I briefly played with it and viewed an ePub that was included and it seems rather impressive. I think the screen is better than the 600. The feature set and the included accessories certainly are better and worth the extra $100 over the cost of a 600.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I went ahead and purchased a 900 today at Best Buy. Best Buy had a tiny display set up with a 300 and a 600, neither of which was turned on. They had the 300 and 600 models locked away. Over to the side they had a cheap cardboard didplay for the 900 and two boxed 900 models. Not a salesperson in sight, not that they would have known anything about the 900.

At any rate I'm currently charging it up and hope to test it out with my PDFs later this afternoon. I briefly played with it and viewed an ePub that was included and it seems rather impressive. I think the screen is better than the 600. The feature set and the included accessories certainly are better and worth the extra $100 over the cost of a 600.
Hope it meets your expectations!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
jeeka
jeeka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition
I have been reading PDFs on my daily reader. I have been mostly satisfied with it.. the pdf files I've been reading are predominantly text with an occasional picture thrown in. Instead of the zoom feature, sometimes I found viewing them in landscape mode to be very useful. Also, like scion mentioned, the margin crop feature was also pretty cool.

I've been trying out the two page layout... of course, you cannot use it for all PDFs... but a neat feature nonetheless...

Good luck with the PRS-900, this is my first e-reader and I'm quite happy with it so far !
jeeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

PDF's OR ePubs

Quote:
I went ahead and purchased a 900 today at Best Buy.
You can avoid the problem by only using PDF files and delete all ePub files.

The problem only occurs when BOTH file types are on the PRS 900 AND one syncs with a PC or downloads from the Sony Reader Store AND also has bookmarks in the ePub files.

Since I deleted my PDF's and only use ePub files, I have no problems.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've been reading some PDFs on my PRS900, but the problem with PDFs in general on a screen this size is that the text is often small. If I want to read something of any length, which doesn't reflow passably well (straight text does OK), then I convert into another format. Sideways-on is OK, but there are too many page turns for my liking reading a third of a page at a time.

I found that synching with the reader took forever and I can't access the Sony store from the UK - so I'm using calibre. Hopefully, I can't get this bug then (fingers crossed!)
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote