Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #16
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle
Footnotes was just an example. You can put them inline in the text, or at the end of the chapter, or at the end of the book. You automatically get hyperlinks both to the footnote and back again.

Another example is the TOC formatting. An eBook may well need a different TOC format to the printed book, e.g. No page numbers. Perhaps an extra level of hierarchy. The plugin lets you choose to use the TOC in the book, or replace it for the export with a different TOC it makes itself with different structure and formatting.

RTF export. Thanks for that. It is obvious once you realise you can only export a story to RTF, not the whole document.
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

It isn't just me that has the font size problem - see this news item:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19759117
Old 09-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
It automatically gives you both the mobi7 and KF8 versions (packaged together). And it does give you all the kindlegen source, in a zip file. It is quite easy to unpack and then unzip, make any changes, and then put the revised version through kindlegen again. But once it is fully debugged that should not be necessary.

I don't know enough about using InDesign to make an epub and then converting that for Kindle to say how it compares. What additional work is needed if one uses this method? Does it support all the KF8 features as well as the usual - toc, images, footnotes, hyperlinks, styles, fonts etc.

A publisher can produce the printed book in InDesign, and then also have the Kindle edition as well with no additional work whatsoever.
I assume you use a script to extract the zip? I just wish Amazon's tools would offer that option.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #19
Tugger
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I assume you use a script to extract the zip? I just wish Amazon's tools would offer that option.
MobiUnpack to extract the zip file from the .mobi. WinZip to take it apart.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
MobiUnpack to extract the zip file from the .mobi. WinZip to take it apart.
The 7-Zip program will allow you to unzip the source portion of the mobi produced by the ID plugin (or Kindlegen, for that matter) directly. You could technically skip the MobiUnpack step ... if all you're after is the source package.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #21
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
This may not be the correct place to post this, but Amazon hasn't answered my query, so I thought I'd ask here. I convert many books (epub to KindlePreviewer) to mobi format... but I'm having just one pesky problem... Chapter Headings... everything else is wonderful. When I tweak the epub (in Sigil) to show my Chapter Headings in the correct size (just a skosh bigger than the 100% body text), they look fabulous on the Previewer for all Kindle devices (of course not the iPad and iPhone)... however when I get them to my KindleFire to preview on an actual device, the 'skosh' bigger than 100% bodytext (or Normal) has suddenly gotten to be about 115% and bold. Why would this be? Is Kindle Previewer being accurate in its preview? It's a small thing, but I'm a perfectionist and my clients expect that from me!
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
Tugger
Connoisseur

You can't trust the previewer - either the online one or the PC one. I have learned this through painful experience.

But I suggest you start your own thread with your problem, which is quite different to the one discussed here.