Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You are wrong.
An aGPS system has two separate functions.
The first is a traditional GPS satellite system, that works that same as other GPS systems.
The second is a cell-tower based system, which is used when GPS lock has not been achieved.
It is true that cellphones generally have smaller, poorer, antenna than dedicated GPS units, but that has nothing to do with the aGPS function, it is a hardware difference.
These devices can be used as GPS units with no SIM cards installed, so no cell connection.
Assisted GPS can also mean that you download data from the net to help get the first fix.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #47
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
murraypaul
You are wrong.
An aGPS system has two separate functions.
The first is a traditional GPS satellite system, that works that same as other GPS systems.
The second is a cell-tower based system, which is used when GPS lock has not been achieved.
It is true that cellphones generally have smaller, poorer, antenna than dedicated GPS units, but that has nothing to do with the aGPS function, it is a hardware difference.
These devices can be used as GPS units with no SIM cards installed, so no cell connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Assisted GPS can also mean that you download data from the net to help get the first fix.
aGPS seems to mean various things.
ie OneStar can be assisted (You have someone on the line assisting you)

Originally it meant a cellphone used towers to locate itself and out of tower range had no bearings at all. There are many interesting stories about people trying to navigate with these aGPS devices.

I will say this one thing.
If your device says aGPS only, then it most probably is cellphone oriented.
If it says GPS it has a chip.
Now can a device with a cell connection and aGPS also have a GPS (standalone) chip. Of course.

Some of the good GPS units (not cell phone) actually use something akin to an inertial guidance system. It doesn't have spinning gyroscopes, but it can tell if it is slowing down in a tunnel system and estimate how fast it is going even without satellite connections. It does that by remembering how fast it was going when it entered the tunnel, and since it knows the tunnel's dimensions, and has an idea of the speed of the vehicle RELATIVE to the initial speed, it can tell you where you are.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Originally it meant a cellphone used towers to locate itself and out of tower range had no bearings at all. There are many interesting stories about people trying to navigate with these aGPS devices.
Well, no it did not mean that originally. Check the Wikipedia page for A-GPS for more information. And I had a Nokia phone with A-GPS before there was phones that use the towers to locate themselves.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #49
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Eric Schmidt: Ha ha, NO Google maps app for iPhone 5

Quote:
Google has not made a maps app for the iPhone 5, its chairman Eric Schmidt said this morning - and his company is not working on one.

The search engine supremo's snub will come as a blow to fanbois who "upgraded" to the latest Apple smartphone, or installed the new iOS 6 operating system on their fruity gadgets, and found Google's maps app replaced by Apple's less-than-brilliant satnav-like alternative. Many punters have urged Google to produce a new replacement map app.
Source

Maybe the wait will be longer than some anticipated.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #50
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Assuming you mean "Google" rather than "Goole" (which is a town in Yorkshire, England), you can already use Google Maps in iOS6. You just have to use it via Safari, rather than as an App. But iOS lets you put any web page as an icon on the home page, so there's really little to distinguish it from an app.
Except the Safari shortcut is slower and more awkward to use, plus it lacks streetview. I use streetview constantly.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #51
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I generally like Apple things but I have to say it...

iOS 6 maps now include a reality distortion field.

I can't believe I'm the first person here to think of this.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #52
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch

LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #53
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post

I don't think you are the first! I totally agree

it has been said on this thread before,

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #54
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I have installed the G-Whizz (Google) app and its does a reasonable job of giving me the old Google Maps back on my ipad (after sorting out what google things you want)
Its pretty good as you can access gmail (if you have it) and YouTube as well as Maps (google) but I don't think you can get street view (??)

.... PS
Thanks to the person on this thread that shared this idea first
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
I have installed the G-Whizz (Google) app and its does a reasonable job of giving me the old Google Maps back on my ipad (after sorting out what google things you want)
Its pretty good as you can access gmail (if you have it) and YouTube as well as Maps (google) but I don't think you can get street view (??)

.... PS
Thanks to the person on this thread that shared this idea first
That would be me. I am not sure what you mean by street view? I can see streets just fine. You can tap the upper right corner and use the layers to show what you want to see. You can even switch from mobile view to desktop view if you wish. The app Google Earth is also available still.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That would be me. I am not sure what you mean by street view? I can see streets just fine. You can tap the upper right corner and use the layers to show what you want to see. You can even switch from mobile view to desktop view if you wish. The app Google Earth is also available still.

Dale
"Streetview" is the ability to see "real world" photographs of a street, Dale. Eg, attached is the Streetview view of my house . You switch to it by dragging the little yellow man from above the zoom in/out slider onto a street.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harrys_house.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	92913  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #57
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Thanks for that. I had forgotten the name.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #58
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Streetview" is the ability to see "real world" photographs of a street, Dale. Eg, attached is the Streetview view of my house . You switch to it by dragging the little yellow man from above the zoom in/out slider onto a street.
Ah, British summer?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not raining in the picture. What more do you want?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #60
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Finally tried out the maps app. I don't really use maps like this much and have never used the GPS/turn by turn stuff on my old phone so I doubt I will on my new one. I use apps like this when I'm doing genealogy research sometimes to locate towns my ancestors came from. For what I would use it for it's completely worthless at this time. It can find the general area OK, but other than the 'main town' in the area (pop abt 4,000) it dosen't show anything of use to me. Now granted this is a pretty rural area of Sweden and Google maps isn't complete here either, but for me these are the kind of areas I'd really like to be able to use the app if I ever get a chance to visit Sweden.

I'll just stick to paper maps for the most part which I do now, although it's be nice to be able to do look ups when I'm not at home with my maps.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote