Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #151
sengian
Zealot
sengian doesn't littersengian doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1;PRS-650;PocketBook Touch Lux 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw View Post
Hi again sengian,

I think I'd like to try the latest PRS+ now to see if I can replicate the problem - bugs are always way easier to fix if you can replicate!

Can you give me a pointer to the PRS+ build you're using? Hopefully I'll be able to give that a try this weekend.

Thanks.
I have PM you the file.
sengian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #152
sengian
Zealot

I have a question, I investigated this further and I am wondering if there is another modification than the opened attribute.
I tried various things manually but the results don't make sense for now.

So I am a little bit put out about what happen here...

EDIT: the other think I see is that calibre replace ' by "'"

Last edited by sengian; 01-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #153
kpw
Connoisseur
kpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Galaxy Note 8, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengian View Post
I have a question, I investigated this further and I am wondering if there is another modification than the opened attribute.
I tried various things manually but the results don't make sense for now.

So I am a little bit put out about what happen here...
For the actions involving the unread collection, the only update that should be happening is to set/unset the "opened" attribute. If you are also manipulating the Books List, then those actions will also update the timestamp for the book records that are to appear on the Home Page. But I think you are only using the unread actions, if I read your descriptions properly.

I'll install the PRS+ driver you sent me ans hopefully I'll see the same behaviour. Then I should be able to figure out what is happening.
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #154
kpw
Connoisseur
kpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
EDIT: the other think I see is that calibre replace ' by "'"
I have noticed discrepancies between ' and "'" characters as well, but I've never bothered doing anything about it as it never seemed to cause any grief. But I'll keep it in mind as I look at this more.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #155
sengian
Zealot

I think the major problem is the number of attributes set.
With 5, I have no problem, with 3000+ there is.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #156
kpw
Connoisseur

Quote:
I think the major problem is the number of attributes set.
With 5, I have no problem, with 3000+ there is.
That's interesting. I've only got 550 or so books on my reader, so that might not be enough to be problematic. Out of curiosity, how long have you waited after setting the attributes and rebooting the reader? Perhaps it takes the reader some time to process all the record changes? Just a guess...
Old 01-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #157
sengian
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw View Post
That's interesting. I've only got 550 or so books on my reader, so that might not be enough to be problematic. Out of curiosity, how long have you waited after setting the attributes and rebooting the reader? Perhaps it takes the reader some time to process all the record changes? Just a guess...
Yes I thought so also but with the unmodified firmware within let say max. 10 min it was Ok and I waited longer for PRS+, even one night but it was during a not so clear test, but I have waited at least 30min.

EDIT: Yes, for me the key is the number of book your are settting with this attribute.
If you set for example 3000, it will crash, then you plug it to calibre when rebooting remove the attributes, unplug it and then all is working perfectly. Works also for low numbers of books (5 in my case but I didn't try to test the limit).
So it is a pure PRS+ problem, sorry to have bothered you with this.

Last edited by sengian; 01-07-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #158
kpw
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes, for me the key is the number of book your are settting with this attribute.
If you set for example 3000, it will crash, then you plug it to calibre when rebooting remove the attributes, unplug it and then all is working perfectly. Works also for low numbers of books (5 in my case but I didn't try to test the limit).
So it is a pure PRS+ problem, sorry to have bothered you with this.
No problem. Good luck with the issue.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #159
sengian
Zealot

I will post the answer to this anyway: seems to be a memory problem.
A possible workaround is to invert the logic and use read books as unread.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #160
kpw
Connoisseur

Quote:
I will post the answer to this anyway: seems to be a memory problem.
A possible workaround is to invert the logic and use read books as unread.
Thanks for the update (I read through the thread on the PRS+ forum too).

I can suggest one more possible workaround, but it depends on what the Sony reader firmware is doing when it manages the unread collection. If only the changed records are being managed (i.e. perhaps the reader software runs out of memory when it is managing 3000+ records in one shot, but maybe not when it incrimentally handles smaller numbers one after another), you might be able to get away with doing the update in 2 or 3 batches (i.e. updating 1000 or 1500 books at one time only). That would mean you'd need to do the partial update, reboot to let the reader process them, and then repeat until you've done them all.

That's not optimal since rebooting multiple times is a pain in the butt. But if it works, you'd at least be able to get the reader in the right starting state. Then you'd probably need to flag individual books manually as you read them after that.

Of course, it's possible that the reader software might load everything regardless of how many records have changed. If that's the case, then this will probably not be an option.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #161
Eugenie
Enthusiast
Eugenie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch edition PRS-650
Qt5 Version for calibre 2.3

Dear kpw,

I love your plugin Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List. I used it all the time.

Now that I've upgraded to calibre 2.3, your plug-in will not work. It has to be updated for the Qt5 graphical toolkit that calibre 2.x now uses.

Will you be working on a Qt5 version that will function on calibre 2.3? I hope the answer is yes. I miss this plug-in already, and I've only had calibre 2.3 for barely a week.

Moderators suggested that I post here so that you will be aware that users are interested in your plug-in and would love to see an updated version.

Much thanks.
Eugenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #162
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
Moderators suggested that I post here so that you will be aware that users are interested in your plug-in and would love to see an updated version.

Much thanks.
It might be faster to send a PM to kpw.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #163
Eugenie
Enthusiast
Eugenie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch edition PRS-650
Advice taken. Thank you.
Eugenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #164
kpw
Connoisseur

Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List plugin update v1.2.9 - Migration to Calibre 2.x

Hi Eugenie (and anyone else who may be using this plugin),

First I'll apologize publicly for not migrating this plugin right away. To be honest, I didn't think anyone was using it any longer (I guess that will teach me to assume). In any case, I've been set straight.

I've posted an update (version 1.2.9) that has been migrated. I got my Sony 650 back this weekend so I could test the changes out, and things seem to be holding together correctly.

It's very probable that I haven't extensively tested out all execution paths, mainly because it's been a while since I've looked at this code and I don't really remember it like I used to. But the main stuff seems to work fine. Please let me know if you run into any problems and I'll see what I can do to fix them.

As it's been a while, I don't really remember the process to get the plugin registry updated with the latest version information, so the changes won't show up in the "User Plugins" view just yet. I'll need to look around to figure out how I get that done. In the mean time, if you don't want to wait, you can just download the plugin zip file and use the "Load plugin from file" option in the Calibre Preferences view.

Thanks.

Karl
Old 09-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #165
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Thank you, thank you!!
I use it all the time as well and have a portable copy of calibre 1.48, just to use the plugin on my 350/650s. I'm very happy to just use calibre 2.4 now!
Great work and thanks again!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote