Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
kheber
kheber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Books/Periodicals and sub-folders

I am interested in publishing a periodical for the Kindle (and by extension any other reader that recognizes the mobipocket format).

I have read the threads here and here that discuss how to mark my file as a periodical and set the author field in the metadata as the title. I appreciate all the info I got from those two threads.
Here is my question: once I do that, and then open the file, the banner across the top only has the name (i.e. The Washington Post), but unlike the newspaper subscription, my file doesn't then have the name or date like a newspaper subscription.

For example, I have a couple issues of The Washington Post. On my home page, I see:
The Washington Post Nov 6, 2008.

If I open that grouping, I see all the issues I have (which happen to be Nov 3-6, 2008). When I open one to read, the banner across the top of the screen reads:
The Washington Post November 6, 2008 edition.

What can I change in the metadata to overwrite the "November 6, 2008 edition" or does the kindle just read that from the date of publication field?

My periodical is published quarterly, and I would like the banner to read something like this:
My Periodical, Isn't it Grand Winter 2008 (4:4).

Does anyone know if this is possible?

(sorry for the double post, I had meant to originally post in this forum)
kheber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I answered in your other thread as well.

Use MobiPocket Creator (installed as the Publisher's Edition) and you can fill in all the metadata fields with whatever you want during creation.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
kheber
kheber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I answered in your other thread as well.

Use MobiPocket Creator (installed as the Publisher's Edition) and you can fill in all the metadata fields with whatever you want during creation.
I already use MobiPocket Creator. What I need to know is does the banner only take the Title and publication date (which requires a mm/dd/yy) format, or is there a way to get it to display something else?
kheber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't know. I haven't yet had a need to do anything like what you need. Have you tired it? You may have to experiment.

Edit: Can't you just make the title (not date data) read "My Periodical, Isn't it Grand Winter 2008 (4:4)" ?

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-21-2008 at 04:15 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote