Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
bonjurkes
Enthusiast
bonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kİndle Touch v5.3.2
Buying Kindle out of US

Hello to everyone first,

I am planning to order Kindle touch by a friend living at US who is going to visit me soon. I googled some stuff about using Kindle out of US. Found some workarounds but I am still a bit worried and trying to understand if there is any other catch.

1-) I will order myself the Amazon Kindle from the Amazon's site, marking it as a gift, so I can connect it to a new "fake" account that I will create with US address and US credit card (by card generator) but I will use gift cards to order ebooks. I heard that Amazon makes IP check when you login to their site so I will use a vpn or proxy to bypass this issue also.

Most likely I will just read some pdfs that I will install from my pc to Kindle. And I think I can download the paid kindle books to my pc and send it from there.

2-) I heard that I can read some US newspapers via Whispernet of Kindle. But I also heard that Whispernet is only for US (I won't order the 3g version). So I am not really sure how can I create a "US" wifi connection. I think I can create a adhoc point using internet via vpn or something else. Didn't really sorted out the topic yet. Maybe someone have an idea about it?

Is there any other "catchs" I am missing to trick Kindle and Amazon? Btw I am from Turkey so Amazon really don't offer anything for my country.
bonjurkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
daerelibom
daerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
I think you will need a valid US Credit Card for subscription, you can't subscribe with just gift card balance CMIIW

I registered my kindle with a fake US address, without any cc information (+ wifi AP connected with US VPN) and buy book with gift card sent from my real account from my real country ~_~
daerelibom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
bonjurkes
Enthusiast
bonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshesbonjurkes can read faster than his screen refreshes

I didn't know that newspaper subscriptions "not" free of charge so probably I wont subscribe any.

Do I need a US credit card to order Kindle from outside US. Shipping address will be in US, but I don't have real US cc. Can I order it with my local cc or do I need to order via gift card?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
daerelibom
daerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Not sure, I bought mine in a local shop here (by my calculation it ends up more expensive if I buy direct due to custom, shipment, etc) but I guess you can, just make sure to register the kindle with US address (with different account) afterwards.
daerelibom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjurkes View Post
Do I need a US credit card to order Kindle from outside US. Shipping address will be in US, but I don't have real US cc. Can I order it with my local cc or do I need to order via gift card?
It's not a problem to order with a non-US credit card. Just use the US address and mark the Kindle as a gift.
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Um no, the credit card companies may not allow this rather than Amazon! Their usual rule is that goods may only be ordered online for delivery to the actual credit card billing address -- it's a sensible rule to prevent misuse of your credit card if stolen.

You may be able to get away with buying something as a gift -- I've not tried that. Alternatively if you want to go through the hassle you may be able to convince your CC company to waive the 'original billing address only' rule, but certainly the times I've tried it it's been a pain!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Just wanted to add that I have personally never had any problems ordering for delivery to a US address with a non-US credit card on Amazon (I've done this at least 20 times in the past 10 years). I ordered my Kindle like this just last Christmas.

I have, however, had problems trying to do this on other websites, but never with Amazon.
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
Just wanted to add that I have personally never had any problems ordering for delivery to a US address with a non-US credit card on Amazon (I've done this at least 20 times in the past 10 years). I ordered my Kindle like this just last Christmas.
Ditto, and I do this all the time. No worries! At the moment I have seven different shipping addresses associated with my cc in the Address Book, inc. four in the US, and you can apparently add as many as you want. I also bought my Kindle this way, as I was going to the States anyway.

One website in particular where this does seem to be a problem is eBay, in my experience. Some sellers simply refuse to send anything to an address not associated with your cc.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
One website in particular where this does seem to be a problem is eBay, in my experience. Some sellers simply refuse to send anything to an address not associated with your cc.
One of the reasons why eBay, as much as it tries, will never be like Amazon. I like the convenience of buying gifts on Amazon and having them sent directly to the recipient.

bonjurkes - there is no need to worry about an IP check - one of the selling points of the Kindle for US residents is that it can be used worldwide.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
They are very wise. Unfortunately credit card fraud is very widespread, and using stolen card details to buy goods online is commonplace. I am a credit card merchant myself and my merchant agreement says that if I ship to any address other than the billing address of the card, the full liability is mine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
bonjurkes
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for answers

I think I will stick with paying with giftcard option. I already created a new account with real US address and fake cc added (just the number). I think I will calculate the total amount of the order and buy same amount of gift card.

I also read that Whispernet is only for visiting store and Wikipedia and downloading ebooks which I bought over amazon and they charge .99$ for it. So anyways it will be waste of money because I can download it to computer and send it via USB. So it looks like no need for Whispernet.

Last question:

Like I said I created a new account with US info. Should I choose register the device while I order it from that account, or should I mark it as gift and activate it from here? Because I am not sure If I can login to my US account for activation via Turkish IP.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I also read that Whispernet is only for visiting store and Wikipedia and downloading ebooks which I bought over amazon and they charge .99$ for it. So anyways it will be waste of money because I can download it to computer and send it via USB. So it looks like no need for Whispernet.
No, you're mistaken. The only charge is for sending your own documents over 3G to the Kindle. There is no charge for downloading books you've bought from Amazon, and no charge for downloading anything via WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
bonjurkes
Enthusiast

thanks a lot HarryT for correcting me up
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Thanks a lot for answers

I think I will stick with paying with giftcard option. I already created a new account with real US address and fake cc added (just the number). I think I will calculate the total amount of the order and buy same amount of gift card.
In order to avoid any future problems, you might want to remove the fake CC number from your account. If you use gift cards to fund your purchases, you won't need a CC number on your account in any event.

After purchased, it makes no difference if the Kindle is sent to you pre-registered or as a gift, because all IP's are allowed at time of activation.

Last edited by JoHunt; 04-07-2012 at 10:10 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote