Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 09-14-2004, 11:07 AM   #16
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
While my intention wasn't to bash Sony, I think the right questions are being asked in this thread, and they are all right On-Topic. Bob raises some interesting scenarios that I have been thinking about for a long time as well.

Here's a small anecdotal example:

I bought MegaBowling and Billiards when I owned my Clie. MegaSoft2000, the developer, offers free lifetime upgrades. When I bought my Zodiac and sold my Clie, I tried to migrate these two games to my Zodiac, but I kept getting a "You need the Zodiac version" message (something along those lines). I contacted MegaSoft2000, and they told me I had to contact Tapwave, as they own the rights to the Zodiac optimized versions (and the only compatible versions) of those games. Tapwave told me I had to buy new versions of the games or take it up with MegaSoft2000.

In the end, I had to write a rather pointed email about their "free lifetime upgrade", and they conceded and sent me the Zodiac optimized versions for free. If it wasn't for the "free upgrade" policy that I have in my email receipt, I would have been out of luck.

I can see the same type of scenarios with ebook, movies, music, etc as Bob mentions. As consumers, this whole DRM and "fair use" direction the industry is heading is NOT good news.

Sony has just signaled with these two announcements that they are not just heading down that path, Sony will be the trailblazer.

-Brian G.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:08 AM   #17
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I too used to be a big Sony fan. Now I'll steer clear. I'm wondering if part of it has to do with differing attitudes in Japan and the US/Europe. Are Japanese consumers more at ease with the restrictive nature of Sony's products? And then once established in Japan they just carry over to the rest of the world?
Actually, in Japan, they don't have as much copy protection. They have CD rental stores, like our blockbusters. Minidisc's are huge there because they can make a copy of the CD they rented and return it, plus last I heard, most consumers there don't own computers, so MP3's aren't as prevelant as here in the US.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:19 AM   #18
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Japanese ClieClub has tons of picture showing the VZ90 from any possible angle.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:50 AM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
At least Sony can now claim to bring the world's most expensive Palm.