Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
sea_los
sea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 / Kindle on iPhone / Sony Reader PRS-505 / eReader on iPhone
Snow Leopard + Calibre 0.6 = CRASH! :(

Looks like Calibre 0.6 isn't compatible with Snow Leopard. Upon Calibre opening, it immediately crashes and shut down.

I can send you the crash report if that helps.

Cheers,
Sealos
sea_los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I didn't think Snow Leopard was out til September?

(I realise that's no actual help with your problem, but it is possible Kovid doesn't have a beta copy of it to test on)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
sea_los
sea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enough

It hasn't been released. But it is available to developers. So I had hoped that Kovid had it by now.

Sealos
Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Crash reports are always useful and no, I don;t have a copy of Snow Leopard and I don;t in general support OSes before they are released.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
caphector
caphector began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone (Current), Sony PRS-505
Just as a note, Snow Leopard is still considered pre-release software by Apple and, as such is covered by the NDA and confidentiality agreements that all Apple developers signs before getting pre-release software.
caphector is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
sea_los

Kovid,
Where can I send the crash report.

Also, I see you are in ABQ... how long have you been there? There is a wonderful breakfast chain (family owned) called Wecks. If you haven't gone, do yourself a favor this weekend and check it out. My recommendation is the carne adovado breakfast burrito.... spicy and very good.

Cheers,
Sealos
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
sea_los

Caphector,
How is my message saying that Calibre doesn't work with Snow Leopard any different from software developers releasing software now that states that their software is Snow Leopard ready or supports Snow Leopard?

Also, it isn't Snow Leopard that isn't working, it is Calibre that isn't compatible with Snow Leopard.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think there is a difference in that an Apple developer is likely to be eager to get his hands on a copy of Snow Leopard and test against it. Calibre on the other-hand is a cross-platform package whose main development is on Linux. Therefore there is less incentive to test against a OS that is still pre-release (and thus subject to changes), especially if you have go the NDA route to get hold of a copy.

Another point it is that as Calibre is Open Source the ideal way forward is for someone who is already using Snow Leopard to find the cause of the crash and submit the patch to fix the issue. Such a developer is more likely to be used to interpeting OSX crash reports. This leaves Kovid free to work on new features and fixing bugs that affect all platforms. The crash could well be in one of the 3rd party libraries that calibre uses - in which case one will have to wait anyway for the author of that library to fix the problem.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can get the crash report by running Console.app

I've been in abq for about a month now, thanks for recommendation, I'll check it out!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
sea_los

Actually, I wanted to know where I should send the crash log.

PM it to you?

Also, the Balloon Fiesta in the fall is really a lot of fun. Full week of activities and it is a pretty big event every year for the city.

Cheers,
Sealos
Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

PMing is fine
Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
sea_los

Seems that you have to open Calibre using Rosetta checked and everything works. Otherwise it just crashes if you try to run natively under Snow Leopard.

Hope this helps others who are also running Snow Leopard.

Cheers,
Sealos
Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
WarumIch
WarumIch began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
With Rosetta Calibre did not crash, but it will not convert anything...

Will this Problem be fixed in the next Update of calibre?

Strange is, that calibre works first fine with Snow Leopard. I did not know what happens (or what I changed), but now it crashes anytime if running native, or refuses to convert if started with Rosetta.
WarumIch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre will not officially support snow leopard until at least a month after snow leopard is released.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-18-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I guess that means that I will not use Snow Leopard until a month after it is released.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote