Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Decided on a Netbook

I have decided that I will be reading on my netbook for awhile; at least until things are decided in the ebook world. Why I can read books from kindle, barnes and noble, sony and MSreader etc. All have programs that will run on my netbook.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm doing the same for now, Chuck. I still want something with a tablet form factor, though.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Well that's still nice. personal preference i should say.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I've seriously considered buying a netbook to use as an ebook reader. It would be nice to have a big display, plus be able to read any format without restrictions. The main thing holding me back is the screen technology; I want to be able to read in daylight, which is rather difficult with a transmissive LCD. Right now I'm waiting to see if and when some manufacturer will incorporate a Pixel Qi screen into one of their netbooks.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
Well that's still nice. personal preference i should say.
Oh, definitely personal preference. I know LOTS of people who won't read on an LCD. It doesn't bother me, but some people it does. Just all depends on what works for you. I do love the ability to read any format though, with very little to no conversions. That's the biggest attraction to reading on a netbook, in my opinion.
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I'm doing the same for now, Chuck. I still want something with a tablet form factor, though.
Ask and ye shall receive - the Touch Book:
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm

Specs:
  • 9.7" x 7" x 1.3" for around 3 lbs (with keyboard)
  • ARM Texas Instruments OMAP3 chip
  • 1024x600 8.9'' screen
  • Storage: 8GB SD card
  • Wifi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth
  • 3-dimensional accelerometer
  • Speakers, micro and headphone
  • 8 USB 2.0 (4 internal, 4 external)
  • 10 hours of battery life

Price is $299 tablet only or $399 with keyboard. Sounds like they are backlogged though and are not immediately shipping.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
Ask and ye shall receive - the Touch Book:
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm

Specs:
  • 9.7" x 7" x 1.3" for around 3 lbs (with keyboard)
  • ARM Texas Instruments OMAP3 chip
  • 1024x600 8.9'' screen
  • Storage: 8GB SD card
  • Wifi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth
  • 3-dimensional accelerometer
  • Speakers, micro and headphone
  • 8 USB 2.0 (4 internal, 4 external)
  • 10 hours of battery life
Price is $299 tablet only or $399 with keyboard. Sounds like they are backlogged though and are not immediately shipping.
LOL, thanks, Mike. Yeah, I already checked this out. I should have said in my post that not only do I want a tablet form factor, I want Windows and some serious hardware. Yep, I'm picky .

For example: My netbook has Windows 7, a 250 gig HD, and 2 gigs of RAM. If I could find a tablet with those specs for the same price I got the netbook, I'd be delirously happy. However, what I'm finding is they all either have small SS drives, (nothing wrong with SSD's they just don't have the room I want), or the ones with the specs I do want are hideously expensive. The Archos 9 came closest, but I decided to wait til next year when *maybe* there are a few more devices like that on the market and we know more about them.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yeah, if battery life isn't a serious concern, netbooks and tablets are much better choices for most people, especially if they plan to read and use a variety of documents.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yeah, if battery life isn't a serious concern, netbooks and tablets are much better choices for most people, especially if they plan to read and use a variety of documents.
Hm, I'd guess most who went with a reader, did so because of the screen technology, not because of battery life.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Hm, I'd guess most who went with a reader, did so because of the screen technology, not because of battery life.
How do you hold a netbook to read comfortably? A tablet might work, if it is very light and doesn't get hot. Two very big "if's".
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Battery life was a factor for me. Though some netbooks now can run for up to 10 hours, which is quite adequate.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
For me it's a combination of three factors: screen clarify, light weight, and long battery life. Battery life is definitely a factor: anyone who, as I did, bought the original 1st generation CyBook, which would, if you were lucky, give you 90 minutes of usage between charges, I'm sure will testify to that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The screen I have is an LED screen and it does very well in the bright sunlight. Not as good as a eink but good.
I am with you on LCD screens that would not work at all.
And yes it is a personal choice and I am not saying everyone should do the same.
Chuck

Last edited by cvkemp; 11-27-2009 at 12:31 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LED screen? What device is that? I've not seen an LED screen in, it must be at least 20 years!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LED screen? What device is that? I've not seen an LED screen in, it must be at least 20 years!
Yeah, what netbook?

I have an Acer Aspire and don't care for it for reading ebooks any more than reading them on my desktop. I want to hold the book, like a book and be able to hold in one hand and change pages, while in bed, walking curled up on a couch or chair, I want to throw it in my backpack and not have to worry about bringing a charger along etc. etc. etc.

Edit: I think he means this:
http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/n...s=audhs1&s=dhs

Says it has an LED display.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-27-2009 at 01:21 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote