Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #196
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleclockwork View Post
What does all this do for the Kindle 4 NT? Im assuming it adds extra features.. Does anybody have step by step instructions?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148850 Coolreader3
one post above yours to run it. that post to get it.

Did you mean that?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #197
matchamp
matchamp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle nt4
This may sound completely superfluous, what is the best way of going about making it possible to rename the HOLD_ON_START_UP(or whatever it is) to ENABLE_DIAGS , internally. there fore making it possible to switch the diagnostic page on (on next boot up) from the kindle without a PC.
matchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #198
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@matchamp: Unless you happen to have a terminal emulator, which we don't on a K4, I can't see an easy answer to that question.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #199
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I would use KUAL + dedicated script for that.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #200
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dsmid: Duh. I'll go back to sleep now ;p.
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #201
matchamp

Thanks @Dsmid I will have a look at that.

This may sound just a bit silly but i was thinking of altering the script from a function i rarely use to do the job. for example finding the script that executes when i select the "Legal" option in my kindle settings menu, Then entering in an appropriate phrase in it( via ssh and vi). So when i select the legal option it goes into all that jargon but also renames the appropriate file.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #202
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchamp View Post
Thanks @Dsmid I will have a look at that.

This may sound just a bit silly but i was thinking of altering the script from a function i rarely use to do the job. for example finding the script that executes when i select the "Legal" option in my kindle settings menu, Then entering in an appropriate phrase in it( via ssh and vi). So when i select the legal option it goes into all that jargon but also renames the appropriate file.
And repeat every time your Kindle receives an over-the-air update?

KUAL "buttons" (scripts) live in the user's USB storage, which is untouched by Amazon system image updates.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #203
matchamp

@Knc1 Ah yes now i hadn't thought of that. good point.
I do like to keep things as small as possible, Kual looks good, when I'm in places where i have acess to a computer, but its a bit big to keep on my kindle when i'm traveling with it. when i could fill that space with different stuff!.
hum It's never as simple as you think its going to be is it?, maybe ill have to disable updates. i would like to be able to use the diags to monitor my kindle as im traveling around. Also keep the mnt/us bit as clean and tidy as i can. but maybe Kual is the simpliest way.
Thanks guys ill tell what i end up doing.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #204
matchamp

oh and a thing i stumbled upon in the ssh. If you type the command usbnetwork in to the terminal it will turn off the usb network and put your kindle into normal mode. Then all you need to do is unplug the usb and plug it in again and the kindle reads as a storage device. not sure if that is useful but it saved me a few resets.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #205
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Knc1 Ah yes now i hadn't thought of that. good point.
I do like to keep things as small as possible, Kual looks good, when I'm in places where i have acess to a computer,
You do not need access to a computer to use KUAL.
Quote:
but its a bit big to keep on my kindle when i'm traveling with it. when i could fill that space with different stuff!.
128Kbytes out of the 1,000,000Kbytes (or 2,000,000Kbytes) of available storage is too big?
Quote:
hum It's never as simple as you think its going to be is it?, maybe ill have to disable updates. i would like to be able to use the diags to monitor my kindle as im traveling around.
The Kindles are "dual boot" (two operating systems installed) machines.
You can't use the "diags" system to "monitor" the "main" system.
Quote:
Also keep the mnt/us bit as clean and tidy as i can but maybe Kual is the simpliest way.
Then you will want the KUAL "clean-up" button.
When you delete a document through the Kindle GUI, it does not remove the index and other supporting files of that document.
There is a KUAL button (set) for that.
That will earn KUAL's 128Kbyte storage requirement the first time you use it.
Quote:
Thanks guys ill tell what i end up doing.
It all depends on what you want to "monitor".
Give us a list - we may already do it.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #206
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
oh and a thing i stumbled upon in the ssh. If you type the command usbnetwork in to the terminal it will turn off the usb network and put your kindle into normal mode. Then all you need to do is unplug the usb and plug it in again and the kindle reads as a storage device. not sure if that is useful but it saved me a few resets.
There are several ways to switch back and forth between USB storage and USB networking modes.

Probably the easiest is to use the KUAL menu button controls and/or the search bar commands.

Note: Our USBnetworking package allows ssh access over Wifi -
so you can leave the device in USB storage mode if you wish.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #207
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Note that the button will *NOT* let you do that while plugged in, because it causes a vast amount of weird issues on various different devices .
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #208
knc1
Going Viral

^^Spoiler^^

People who like to re-invent the wheel deserve a few flat tires along the way.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #209
matchamp

i've been playing with Kual and it fun and useful. Thanks. i just like to strip things down to their simpliest form. but that dossent always work. yep i did just experience a vast weird issue with the usbnetwork thing i stated, maybe don't use that.

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack