Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Brother Cadfael Mysteries

Wondering what everyone thinks of these. I know I will be in the overwhelming minority here, but, I'm just not that impressed. I read the first book (A Morbid Taste for Bones) because I've seen rave reviews on here, and, I was left pretty underwhelmed.

I will also say that, because of the style of writing, it's not as breezy a read as you might expect.

Don't kill me, please.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
I have read several of them, and yes, they aren't bad.
But when you have read some of them, their plots become rather obvious and so they lack the surprise element.

But when I'm in the mood for something light and entertaining, I must admit I don't hesitated to read them.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've rather enjoyed to several that I've read, but that's as much for the background, the descriptions of life at the time and the characters, as for the mystery.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
I enjoyed them all when the Mystery Press paperbacks came out in the 1990s. Now I am just waiting for ebook versions to re-read them. I would also love to see Edith Pargeter's (Ellis Peters is a pen name) other books in ebook form.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I read the series a while back - at its initial publication, the plot concept was quite unique. And the scholarship was quite accurate for the historical period. But like any genre series, later volumes in the series tend to get a bit "stale" and the series loses its punch.

Should these ever get picked up & published as ebooks, I'd certainly revisit & reread the first several volumes.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Thoroughly enjoyed the TV series and the books are not too bad really.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Wondering what everyone thinks of these. I know I will be in the overwhelming minority here, but, I'm just not that impressed. I read the first book (A Morbid Taste for Bones) because I've seen rave reviews on here, and, I was left pretty underwhelmed.

I will also say that, because of the style of writing, it's not as breezy a read as you might expect.

Don't kill me, please.
Japes, I'm with you. I read two of them and found myself pushing to get the the end and be done with them. While I did enjoy the cultural accuracy, the plots just seemed weak.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
That's actually exactly how I felt. I had to push myself to continue. I probably won't be reading any others....cultural accuracy or not.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Yes, I'd have to agree with most of the comments here - the idea is good, but they can get a bit twee at times and repetitive. The TV series was actually better because the plots suited TV drama and Derek Jacobi is a great actor!
There is a site:http://themedievalbookclub.blogspot.com/ which lists quite a few writers in this genre and might give you a starting point to search your local library an sample a few.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
I would also love to see Edith Pargeter's (Ellis Peters is a pen name) other books in ebook form.
Me too! Her other books are rather epic.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I very much enjoy them, and have them all in paper. I would definitely buy the eBooks if they became available.

As a side-note, Shrewbury Abbey, where the books are set, is not very far from where I live, and has a beautiful stained-glass window dedicated to Ellis Peters, featuring scenes from the "Brother Cadfael" books. The Abbey receives a percentage of the income from the books, and it's an important source of revenue for them. They also sell a little book of "Brother Cadfael" walks, which take you around the various locations in the books (which are all real places).

Last edited by HarryT; 07-28-2011 at 05:35 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Hmmm ....

I found them rather "studied" and, if anything, a bit too accurate - which sounds odd, even to me , but by that I mean he was almost pushing it in front of the storylines, which I found a bit ho-hum.......
But I did give up after a couple, I must admit.

So many books, .....

[ But the TV series, well, with Derek Jacobi, they could do little else but be good.. but again, it got a little tired I thought. ]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a side-note, Shrewbury Abbey, where the books are set, is not very far from where I live, and has a beautiful stained-glass window dedicated to Ellis Peters, featuring scenes from the "Brother Cadfael" books. The Abbey receives a percentage of the income from the books, and it's an important source of revenue for them. They also sell a little book of "Brother Cadfael" walks, which take you around the various locations in the books (which are all real places).
Perhaps you might offer a 'Brother Cadfael "Literary" walk' for people. I used to do something similar but centered around the poet Robert Frost. There is a 'Robert Frost Memorial Trail' in the mountains of Vermont where he spent so many of his later years, with wooden tablets inscribed with many of his poems along the trail. The trail is close to the house where he lived and was one of his favorite walking spots. You can stand in the actual spot where he got the idea for 'The Road Not Taken,' and look down the path and see just "where it bent in the undergrowth." It really makes the writing come alive! We would walk the trail, and at each intersection read another of his works. Great fun!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have read a few and they were, as some people have commented, okay.
My mother used to read them a lot, along with other historical/religeous fiction. She seems to have gone of them since I gave her a Kindle for her 85th birthday.

Now it is all Jack Higgins, James Patterson, Elmore Leonard etc. with an occasional Margery Allingham or Rex Stout thrown in.

According to her (she lives in a very small town) she didn't know where to get the (quote) interesting books.

To think I could have been mailing her a box a month

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
when you have read some of them, their plots become rather obvious and so they lack the surprise element.

I really have to agree here. I read the first five of the series, and while I really enjoyed the first two, the next three I found to be very formulaic and predictable.

I do have to admit though, that these were among the very few pbooks that I have read since I began ereading, and the format shift may have had something to do with my lack of patience.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote