Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Canadian reader
Canadian reader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Adding Books to Calibre

I ordered my new Kindle 3 from Amazon on Thursday, but since I live in Canada, delivery estimate for my product is shown as January 21 to February 9th. In the meantime, I downloaded Kindle for PC from Amazon and bought a couple of books.
Having spent some time reading reviews I came across the article on Calibre and downloaded that as well.
What I am not able to do seamlessly in Calibre is to Add books. My "Amazon Library" under documents on my pc desktop, and opening the file only shows "Kindle for PC" - not the individual books themselves.
In calibre it shows as 1 author - kindle for pc and if you click on that it just opens the Kindle for PC library which has all the books there.
My workaround to get Kindle books I’ve downloaded into Kindle for PC application is to do the following:

Open Desktop Document Folder, click on Amazon Library.
Highlight PC for Kindle and drag to Calibre desktop shortcut file.
Once Calibre opens – highlight Kindle for PC document.
Click on Edit Metafile (top of page).
Under Title top of Page – it will show Kindle for PC – Overwrite that name with name of book.
Under Author, add name of author
Under Publisher – type in name of Publisher.
(Note: In kindle for pc when you open whatever book it is that you’ve downloaded there – click on Go to – Location – and at bottom of screen you’ll see something like – 0-10418 (which presumably is end of book).
Click on that and it will take you to end of book.
You should find who the publisher is and the ISBN number.
You don’t need to input the ISBN number in the Edit Metafile data – it will generate itself.
Click on Fetch metadata from Server.
Over on the right side of screen under Book Cover
click on: Download cover
Click OK once the cover has downloaded.

I have to repeat this process each time to overwrite pc for kinde once in Calibre.

Can anyone here offer an easier solution?

Last edited by Canadian reader; 11-20-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Adding an additional comment
Canadian reader is offline   Reply With Quote