Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
akapulko2020
akapulko2020 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,iPod Touch
Transfering B&N ebooks to Sony reader

I wanted to download some free ebooks from B&N and then transfer them to my PRS-300. Turns out I need the B&N software in order to download them.

That's 3rd software piece (in addition to the Sony software and my beloved Calibre) that I must install on my PC for the sole purpose of transferring ebooks to the device.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance
akapulko2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can download the books without their software by going to 'My eBooks Library' on the B&N website, but they won't work on the Sony with their DRM intact. B&N's DRM is different than the more or less standard Adobe Adept DRM most sellers offer ePub books with.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by akapulko2020 View Post
Is there any way around this?
Yes: refusing to buy DRM-locked ebooks.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
akapulko2020

Thanks Worldwalker, I didn't realize that the free B&N ebooks are also DRM-protected. I'll indeed rather have them in non-DRM protected format.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
akapulko2020

So, it means I won't be able to read them on the Sony reader ? Well, no reason to download them then... Thanks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can download the books without their software by going to 'My eBooks Library' on the B&N website, but they won't work on the Sony with their DRM intact. B&N's DRM is different than the more or less standard Adobe Adept DRM most sellers offer ePub books with.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by akapulko2020 View Post
So, it means I won't be able to read them on the Sony reader ? Well, no reason to download them then... Thanks !
Not without removing the DRM, no.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, sony 300