Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
berklon
berklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Touch: Indented paragraph formatting issue

I've been having this issue with the Kobo Touch regardless of the firmware version.

Basically when an epub has an indented paragraph (the whole paragraph), the lines show up ridiculously short - with only 2 or 3 words per line. The only thing that works is to set the font to the smallest size, but then I find the font is much too small for reading.

Screenshots for a better explanation... one shows how it's supposed to look in Adobe Digital Editions and the other how it actually shows up on the Kobo with average font size (excuse the distorted picture):

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/adesj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/kobo.jpg

Is there any real simple solution to this? It's quite annoying.
berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
I've been having this issue with the Kobo Touch regardless of the firmware version.

Basically when an epub has an indented paragraph (the whole paragraph), the lines show up ridiculously short - with only 2 or 3 words per line. The only thing that works is to set the font to the smallest size, but then I find the font is much too small for reading.

Screenshots for a better explanation... one shows how it's supposed to look in Adobe Digital Editions and the other how it actually shows up on the Kobo with average font size (excuse the distorted picture):

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/adesj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/kobo.jpg

Is there any real simple solution to this? It's quite annoying.
We'd have to look at the source of the book. It looks to me as thoug the indentation might be defined in Pixels, in which case, the Kobo is probably doing exactly what's it is supposed to do.

There might also be nested <blockquote> elements if the book has been grinded to and from Mobi in Calibre a few times. That is much more troublesome to fix.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
berklon
berklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
We'd have to look at the source of the book. It looks to me as thoug the indentation might be defined in Pixels, in which case, the Kobo is probably doing exactly what's it is supposed to do.

There might also be nested <blockquote> elements if the book has been grinded to and from Mobi in Calibre a few times. That is much more troublesome to fix.
I forgot to mention that this has happened with a lot of books with indented paragraphs... not just this particular one.
berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My initial diagnosis from afar is the same as rashkae's. The fact that it happens on multiple books either means they are formatted the same, or there is a problem. I do have books that I know have indented paragraphs and they do not appear like yours. But, have fiddled with a couple and made them look like this before getting the indent right.

The only way we can be sure is to see the book. Any chance of that? The code that does this plus the stylesheet might be enough if you can't post the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote