Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
ccosner
ccosner began at the beginning.

Device: All
mobi endnotes

Hello,
I am creating the epub by export from InDesign, then epub-->epub in Calibre. Then creating mobi from Calibre and viewing in Calibre and Kindle Previewer.

In the epub and mobi, the endnotes are hyperlinked.
In epub they go right to the note.
In mobi, they go to the first note, no matter which one is clicked.

The underlying xhtml in the epub looks like this:
reference:
<span class="superscript"><a href="#anchor-65-anchor">3</a></span>
endnote:
<li class="nt-numbered-with-overrides"><a id="anchor-65-anchor"></a>

The endnotes are an ordered list, i.e., <ol>.

Any ideas how to approach this?

Thank you.
ccosner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
ccosner

In testing I've isolated the problem to the fact that the notes are set up as a list (<ol>).

If I create embedded endnotes in Open Office, export to html, then convert to epub and mobi, it works fine. It works fine if the anchor is a <DIV> or an <A>, whether then NAME attribute or ID is used. If I wrap each note in a <li></li> and the whole thing in <ol></ol>, it fails as described in the first post.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
open a ticket and attach a test case and I will take a look at it when I have the time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
ccosner

Okay, I found a solution pre-Calibre.

To save InDesign cross-references without <ol><li> tags:
In the export dialog: Bullets and Numbers-->Numbers: Convert to Text. (The other two options in this dialog produce ordered lists that fail to link once Calibre converts to mobi.) The resulting links still work when the file is converted to mobi and Kindle.

Note that if you have *real* footnotes in InDesign (not cross-references), there is no problem with the exported file and the above setting has no effect.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Visuddhi
Visuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
open a ticket and attach a test case and I will take a look at it when I have the time.
This was from a few months ago, I'm having the same problem now,
Just wondering if the ticket was opened or need to open a ticket? (sorry I'm not able to access the calibre site from work to check myself)
Visuddhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
ccosner

Visuddhi,
I didn't open a ticket. It turns out that in the InDesign export to Digital Editions dialog, the setting "Bullets and Numbers-->Numbers: Convert to Text" solves the problem (for my purposes).
Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Visuddhi
Visuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 3
ok thank, it seems to be a bug though, i guess it would be the same for other links too.
Visuddhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visuddhi View Post
ok thank, it seems to be a bug though, i guess it would be the same for other links too.
It most likely is a bug, but someone needs to open one and provide a reproducable test case:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre

Note based on the original post this should only effect links in ordered lists, but it's possible there are related issues.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, endnotes, kindle, mobi