Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I need to learn more about encryption and DRM

The maker of my ebook reader has told me that I can not use ebooks sold by Barnes and Nobles because their books are encrypted for use by the Nook and Pandigital Novel. They went further to say that Sony and Amazon do the same thing. Does this mean that these three companies use DRM? I take it to mean that I can not buy ebooks from Amazon, Barnes and Nobles and Sony unless I have their reader. They went further to inform me that I can buy books from any company that does not encrypt their products, is the company using the term encryption as a synonym for DRM? Would someone please list some web store sites that do not encrypt their products. I have seen the thread on this forum that gives some links to such sites already.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-20-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: cleaned up some spelling mistakes
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
http://www.bewrite.net/

http://www.smashwords.com/

http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/1...ee-publishers/

Amazon books only work on a Kindle. B&N books will only work on their suported readers. I think you can get books at Borders and Kobo. They use Adobe epub drm. I think that works on an, Aluratek. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

I like Bewrite Books and Smashword for DRM free books.
Hope this helps.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Some sources of books available in my sig. line .... ( DRM stinks, but can be removed :coughs: ).
Not all purchased books carry DRM, the multiple-format range at fictionwise (for example).

you are correct, DRM = encryption

It's not the end of the World, just a long road to travel, via a mountain, two streams and an avalanche crossing. You can ( I am told) download from Amazon to the "kindle-for-pc" software [similarly for others]
and take the resultant books 'apart' and read them on other readers.

Not all of us have a kindle/iPad etc....

Last edited by GeoffC; 10-20-2010 at 09:01 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ahve noticed that there are a lot of ebook stores that talk about which format you want to use. Does this mean that their products are not DRM?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I ahve noticed that there are a lot of ebook stores that talk about which format you want to use. Does this mean that their products are not DRM?
The overwhelming majority of eBook stores sell books in ePub format with Adobe's ADE DRM mechanism. B&N use their own DRM mechanism for ePub, so their books can only be read on a nook. Amazon use a completely different format (again with DRM) for the Kindle.

What formats does your reading device support? It's one that I'm unfamiliar with.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard

epub and PDF. Most people are not familar with my Aluratek, I bought it becuase its a great quality reader at $100 price tag. Don't get me wrong I am not against the Kindle or Sony, its that Aluratek sold me the reader for the price I wanted to pay for it.

Last edited by jbcohen; 10-20-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
A lot of the big publishers / distributors do still use DRM, however many authors have also opted out (eg, on Amazon, when we upload our eBooks we get to choose if we turn DRM on or off).

Also many independent authors provide DRM-free content. So, if you're looking for DRM-free content then you may find yourself spending more time amongst the independent writers, at least for the next few years.

Paul
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard

Probably won't worry about this much it seems that Borders tends to be the lowest cost provider for the type of books that I tend to read and the ereader that I have came from Borders. However, I am rather interested in widing the range of competant bidders (government speak for a provider who can provide the product you want). If you want a kindle and the store offers a Sony that's not a competant bidder.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I think the Aluratek can be flashed with the Jetbook firmware, which will allow you to read books from Barnes & Noble. Also you should be able to read books from every other bookstore except Amazon (in other words, Adobe Digital Editions).
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have an Aluratek Libre and can purchase and read books from Sony, Kobo, and Borders just to name a few. If your local library has ebooks they will use the Adobe DRM and can be read on the Libre.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The overwhelming majority of eBook stores sell books in ePub format with Adobe's ADE DRM mechanism. B&N use their own DRM mechanism for ePub, so their books can only be read on a nook. Amazon use a completely different format (again with DRM) for the Kindle.

What formats does your reading device support? It's one that I'm unfamiliar with.
A quick correction. Jetbook and Pandigital also support the eReader DRM. Furthermore, Adobe supports it as well... many readers (Sony, Kobo, Pocketbook, Bookeen most prominently) that otherwise support Adobe, have not yet opted to support the eReader DRM option.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
you are correct, DRM = encryption
To expand on that idea a little.

DRM, at least modern DRM is based on the encryption. Essentially the book is encrypted, often for the specific reader you are using, and then the ebook reader (or in the case of B&N ereader DRM you) provides the decryption key which allows you to ultimately read the book.

Now, this also points out why DRM is never going to be effective at stopping pirates. The decryption key needs to be available to whoever purchased the book. Unless a company can completely hide the method of decryption (exceedingly unlikely) there is no way that a good programmer will not be able to develop a tool to permanently decrypt the ebook.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
A quick correction. Jetbook and Pandigital also support the eReader DRM. Furthermore, Adobe supports it as well... many readers (Sony, Kobo, Pocketbook, Bookeen most prominently) that otherwise support Adobe, have not yet opted to support the eReader DRM option.

--
Bill
Ah, this is disappointing news.

I was of the impression if you introduced a PC into the equation, a PC running Adobe Digital Editions, that you could purchase a B&N eBook, bring it into your Adobe DE running on your PC, and then side-load the B&N eBook onto the Sony Reader via USB.

I got that impression from this page
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
I was of the impression if you introduced a PC into the equation, a PC running Adobe Digital Editions, that you could purchase a B&N eBook, bring it into your Adobe DE running on your PC, and then side-load the B&N eBook onto the Sony Reader via USB.
No. It is the other way around. If you buy an Adobe DRM ePub you can side-load it onto a Nook. In other words the Nook supports both B&N DRM and Adobe DRM for ePubs.

The good news is that Adobe and B&N and Kindle DRM can all be defeated. This is probably legal in the US providing you only do it for personal use (e.g. to read ebooks you bought on a different device). See Apprentice Alf's Blog for a summary of the state of play. Note that Kindle for PC is the best way for an ePub reader to get access to Kindle AZW (MOBI) ebooks. Once DRM-free you can format shift them via Calibre, and there is a Calibre plug in to strip the DRM from K4PC ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetotree View Post
Amazon books only work on a Kindle.
And on Kindle for PC, or Mac, computer software. And iPhone, Blackberry, and Android phones.

Kindle books only work on supported Kindle software, which is available on a number of different platforms.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote