Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
How would you change the Kindle DXG?

After the runaway success of the Kindle 3 version of this post, I'm starting the KDXG one.
I had a DXG - I'm in academia and it seemed the right solution for reading PDFs. I got rid of it for everyday use because of its multiple limitations (for MY use, in any case) and I got a K3 for reading literature - webpages stored via Instapaper and others (not for academic journals and papers, the screen is too small).
So how would I change it? Note: please say whatever you feel like, but I just want to point out that I am starting these series of threads as a realistic feedback for Amazon, with the aim of having features incorporated evolutionary in the next version of the device. I mean comments of the type "improve keyboard" rather than "get a color, translucent touchscreen with auto reading and interpretation of texts"

HARDWARE
-The keyboard is horrible. Truly horrible, a pain to use. The K3's is so much better... It would be a huge mistake to stick to these chiclet oval keys in the next version.
-A WiFi version would make a lot of sense to me.
-Make it lighter. It's so heavy I couldn't use it to read in bed without propping it, I got backache.
-I definitely need a touchscreen for annotations - but the result in the Sony's is horrible. I wouldn't want it here, unless you come out with a better version.

SOFTWARE
-Needless to say, UPDATE THE SOFTWARE to the level of the K3 regarding PDFs. For X's sake, you are positioning this product as a premium version aimed at the academic and related markets, and you can't even change the PDF contrast, which makes anything in color almost unreadable...
-Updating the browser wouldn't hurt either.
-A PC side Collection manager.
-Hyphenation??
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ePub support but not half-assed like PDF.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
wifi

Full PDF support
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
better picture support. I need page numbers! Why am I not able to go back to the beginning of the comic file when I want to?!? I'd say it would need RAR support, instead of just zip, but I stick everything in mangle anyway. RAR support would be good if the picture viewer ran better (quick resize, reduction of glitches, etc).

Better PDF support.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Imo DX is a luxury model. They should do away with the keyboard completely and implement a touchscreen and have only 4-5 buttons on the device.

The weight isn't bad from my experience, but you can always just put a pillow on your lap, or prop it up on the armrest of your chair... or put it on a desk.

I find it easier in landscape mode, but the white space in most novels is horrible and pdfs look like trash that way. Wish they would add 2-column mode when reading landscape to reduce wasted white space.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
A firmware update to add PDF annotations and dictionary lookup would be nice, but the most important missing feature is PDF table of contents support. It's so frustrating to have this nice big screen for PDF reading, but have to perform complex tricks to navigate.

I'd like the alt, shift and sym keys to change slightly: double-click to lock (like caps lock) and single-click for single key combinations.

For future hardware, I'd prefer a split keyboard (like Kindle 1). The DX is pretty wide and it's hard to reach the middle keys while holding it. And is there any reason not to include page turn buttons on both sides? Sure, I can flip the DXG upside down, but that's an extra step. Also, I really don't care for the accelerometer) it picks up non-existent rotations and fails to pick up real ones) it should be improved or eliminated.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Wi-Fi and a price tag below $250.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my DXG. I am hoping that we get an upgrade so that the firmware matches the firmware for the K3.

I am fine with the Keyboard and the buttons. I would be hard pressed to see a situation where I would buy any Kindle with a touchscreen. I don't like touchscreens.

Adding WiFi would be nice. Adding EPub would be nice. Making the PDF better would be nice. Mainly because I am tired of hearing people asking for those features. I have not used them or missed them so they are not important to me.

If there was a way to make it lighter that would be good but I don't have a problem holding it or reading with it.

My only real complaint is that it is hard to find covers for the DXG. I would love something like the KlearKase for my DX so I could use it at the beach and not have to use my K1.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholoner View Post
better picture support. I need page numbers! Why am I not able to go back to the beginning of the comic file when I want to?!? I'd say it would need RAR support, instead of just zip, but I stick everything in mangle anyway. RAR support would be good if the picture viewer ran better (quick resize, reduction of glitches, etc).

Better PDF support.
If you had proper ePub support, you would have page numbers instead of locations. ePub is a win/win situation.

And if you NEED page numbers, why did you buy a K3 when it doesn't have page numbers?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
wifi , is work for me
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Imo DX is a luxury model. They should do away with the keyboard completely and implement a touchscreen and have only 4-5 buttons on the device.
Touchscreen on Kindle... After reading some of Sony Reader Touch's reviews, all I see is a number of immediate drawbacks (reflective, prone to smearing surface, decreased typing speed, some response issues, concerns about screen damage, etc) with no real advantages or productivity benefits to speak of.

Naturally, I'm all for significantly improved PDF rendering (custom zoom, font options, etc), Kindle 3-like visual redesign, updated collection system (e.g., subdirectories), enhanced Unicode and custom font support, and obviously, built-in Wi-Fi adapters. If they do most of this, I'll have no problem buying the new DX at the current price.
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
KecajN
Enthusiast
KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBoox Inkpad 3, Inkpad X
HARDWARE:
- SDHC slot is a must.
- WiFi instead of 3G is a good idea (I do not use 3G at all, I could use WiFi from time to time).
- I do not need and I will not like touch screen. I do not see any advantages of it unless it will be possible to accept handwriting for annotations.
- I would move "<" back page flip button to the left of edge the device leaving empty space between ">" forward flip and "Home" (I tend to press Home instead of <).
- Keyboard is OK for me but I do not use it very often.
- Weight is OK for me.
- Battery life is acceptable but I would appreciate any improvement as well.
- Accelerometer is useless and can be removed.

SOFTWARE:
- Improved PDF support is the vital feature (after all it is large screen device usually bought for PDF reading). Links, TOC and index support, custom cropping and zoom, dictionary are the most important.
- Support for folders instead of useless Collections.
- Adobe DRM, epub support.
- Automanaged "Last read" folder/collection (with user defined number of entries).
- Non-English character support for ebook names (content of my Polish ebooks is displayed correctly but book title/name is scrambled when national characters are used).
- Multiple font support (at least sans serif as option).
KecajN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I use the accelerometer regularly and could careless about the SD slot.

And this is why there will never be one perfect device for everyone
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #14
smrtihlav
smrtihlav began at the beginning.

Device: Kidnle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KecajN View Post
HARDWARE:
- Non-English character support for ebook names (content of my Polish ebooks is displayed correctly but book title/name is scrambled when national characters are used).
-
Hi KecajN !
I am experiencing similar problem, that my new Kindle DX cannot display non-english (slovak) characters within book titles and author names in Home (list of collection). Book content is absolutely OK!.
-
Haven't You found any solution for this nuisance???
smrtihlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The best way to change the KDXG is to make it the same as the K3 except with the larger screen.