Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
BeBook2000
BeBook2000 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
New: BeBook Pure

The new BeBook Pure

The BeBook Pure is the newest addition to the BeBook Ereader family and is the thinnest E Ink Ereader available on the market today. The rubberized body is extremely thin (8 mm), lightweight (188 gr), feels smooth and offers a good grip for hours of reading pleasure. The BeBook Pure features a 4 GB internal memory which is enough to store all your digital books, a crystal clear E ink epaper display for excellent readability, a 600Mhz CPU, Micro SD slot, Micro USB port and a long-lasting battery for up to 3 week of stand-by time.

BeBook Pure Ereader

Just like previous models the BeBook Pure gives you the choice of
where you want to purchase your books and is, with its 99,95 Euro price tag, one of the most affordable E Ink ereaders available in Europe.

Note: At time of introduction the BeBook Pure will only be available in the Netherlands and Belgium. We will roll out the BeBook Pure to other European
 countries in the next few weeks.
BeBook2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
More details please, your website does not show the full specs.
- you used to rebrand the Hanlin readers. This is not a Hanlin. What is it then?
- wifi?
- touchscreen?
- user changeable battery? which type of battery? (the Hanlin V3 was using a standard Nokia battery)
- screen exact specs (resolution, shades of grey, etc)
- exact dimensions
- openinkpot compatible?
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
No Pearl, no touchscreen, no wifi, no audio, no dictionary support. This is a very basic reader for people who just want to read and are willing to pay as much as 99 euro for a simple reader.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4688...t-ever-ereader

says £69 nice basic no frill reader

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 08-13-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Mine arrived yesterday and so far it is a great little reader. No frills, which IMO is a good thing, but does exactly what it says on the tin. At that price it is going to compete.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
They need to provide more details if they want comments from the early adopters.

File structure? (Folders, database, ect.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'd like to know how well it supports non-ebook filetypes. My PEZ, which was in the same "Hanlin" category as previous BeBooks, was useless for .html, .doc, .fb2, and .txt, although it claimed to support them.

It *showed* them. I can't say it supported them: it would split words at the end of lines or pages, sometimes adding hyphens rather at random ("ye-ars" was one split); it'd drop punctuation to the next line instead of keeping with the word it followed, and indents and other spacing-formatting got downright odd.

I'm also seconding the request for info about file structure--folders or something else? Does it support tagging or other groups? Does it require or prefer specific software for ebook loading? But I consider those secondary issues to the filetype support. I can work with a number of storage/sorting options; I need the texts to display correctly. If it can't display .rtf or .html without mangling the words, it shouldn't claim to support them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Same for "supporting" languages while installed fonts lack glyphs for these.
having just the handful of menus translated isn't functional support.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Freeshadow.
Sorry, I can't help with language support. I can just about read some languages (and I mean just about) and would not know if the glyphs are correct or not. In the settings it supports the following, German, Spanish, Polish, Swedish, English, French, Dutch and Danish. The names are in the native language, eg Espanol and they do have Glyphs that look right, to me.

@Elfwreck
Thanks for causing me to 'waste' a couple of hours. No seriously, it was something I needed to do at some point.
The file system is the same as you are used to, folders ect. There is also a Library view which lists the whole collection without folders, big is not the word if you have collections like ours, however for small collections it is fine and has the added bonus of having a thumbnail view for prettiness.
There is also a favorites list, whether that helps or not with the tagging I don't know.

Now to file formats. This is the list of formats that appear on the box. Ignore any other claims, this is definitive at the moment.
Epub and PDF with or without Adobe DRM. FB2, TXT, HTML, RTF and Mobi without DRM.
I have tried dozens of each type and a few of non listed types and apart from some issues with RFT and an FB2 that FBreader couldn't open, had no problems whatsoever. All appeared to be formatted OK, no split words ect. I was quite surprised, especially considering where some of these came from.
Now about the RTF files that failed. They tended to be older files, none appeared correctly in OoO or Wordpad but when I re-saved them as new RTF files and Text files, all were ok.
I am sure there will be some files that are not correct but I couldn't find any that didn't have an obvious formatting fault.
Interestingly, of the files it does not claim to support, PDB in the following flavours did work fine, PalmDoc, Ztext and one unknown but I am guessing PalmDoc.
These files are not supported and did not work,prc, Zip, LRF, Lit and surprisingly Doc.
All the files tested were pulled of my back up, one had been altered in anyway. All were as originally downloaded from various sources.

I did learn a few other things such as how to get out of a seemingly fatal lock up and that what appears to be a broken screen controller is not.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Stormchild
Evangelist

Sorry , meant to add that it is not a Hanlin or Onyx clone and so far is the best book reader they have marketed yet.

Now if I may I will get on with what I had planned to do and get on with Hugh Howey's latest book.

Last edited by Stormchild; 08-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Now to file formats.
Epub and PDF with or without Adobe DRM. FB2, TXT, HTML, RTF and Mobi without DRM.
I have tried dozens of each type and a few of non listed types and apart from some issues with RFT and an FB2 that FBreader couldn't open, had no problems whatsoever. All appeared to be formatted OK, no split words ect. I was quite surprised, especially considering where some of these came from.
Now about the RTF files that failed. They tended to be older files, none appeared correctly in OoO or Wordpad but when I re-saved them as new RTF files and Text files, all were ok.
Great! Looks like this may be what I'm looking for to replace my PRS-505. (You wouldn't think the traits "e-ink," "no touchscreen," and "supports an editable file format" would be difficult to find; it wasn't a couple of years ago. But they've now mostly decided to only support PDF and ePub, maybe not even .txt.)

Thanks for checking the different formats; that's one of the details that none of the official reports ever bother with, and a lot of very cheap ereaders are awful about.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just curious, anyone know when this will be available in the United States?

I like readers without touch screens since I occasionally read in the bath.. and my guess is that touch screens would not go well with zip lock bags.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Stormchild
Evangelist

I have just asked the question Bill. Hopefully have an answer tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
How about fonts? Can they be changed? Are different fonts selectable from menu? What font(s) does it use?
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
gaurav1
gaurav1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch Wi-fi, 6" E Ink
Can any body suggest me the best ebook reader device.
gaurav1 is offline   Reply With Quote