Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
africalass
Connoisseur
africalass began at the beginning.

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Device: Windows Laptop; Kindle Keyboard; Hudl2 (Android), iPhone
Regular crashing

Hi!

as a long-term user of Calibre, last year I started having regular crashes. I checked the forums at the time, and as several people had reported similar things, though no solution had been found, I thought I'd leave it and not add more threads on the same thing.

I've had a look through today and can't see any updates on this, but just wanted to check if ever there had been anything worked out? It mainly seems to crash when I'm editing the metadata - and particularly if I tab through the columns a bit too quickly. It will happen several times a day though (I have to regularly edit data as I don't just use it for books but for the many teaching pdfs I download). Nothing else on the computer has any particular issues. The laptop has decent specs - i5, 8GB, large hard drive etc. I may not have the very latest version as I can't afford to download it every week, but am normally only 2-3 weeks behind.

Thanks for any help.
africalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Have you checked and eliminated the common causes listed in the FAQ ( http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id52 ) ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
africalass
Connoisseur

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Hi, thanks so much for a quick response.

Yes, I checked this previously, although I've just looked again in case it's changed. The only possibility here was Roboform, but I had previously blacklisted so I don't think it should do it.

The only one I can't recall is the one about 64 bit - how do I know which version of Calibre I'm using (64/32?)

Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
africalass
Connoisseur

Mind you, I will also have to check whether Roboform maintains its old lists whenever a new version is installed. I can't recall how I did it in the first place, so will go off to read up on this again.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
africalass
Connoisseur

have now checked both of these factors. Calibre is in my x86 folder so I'm guessing is the 32 bit version. Also Calibre.exe is blacklisted by Roboform. None of the other points were relevant to me.

thanks again.
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great that you checked.
that you did not have success.

We will have to wait for the 'Master' to weigh in.

Laptop: Calibre and the Library are on the Laptop HD?
Have you ran the diskcheck to see if you have drive errors?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have some program on your computer that is interfering with calibre, calibre does not crash on its own. You will have to find what program that is by doing a one-by-one elimination as described in the FAQ entry, there is no easier way to find it. Start with the category of programs that modify your system like security software, assistive software and so on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
africalass
Connoisseur

Thanks for this. I'll work my way through the programmes in the next few weeks and see what I can find. It's not a major problem, just as I recalled reading of other unexplained crashes thought a straightforward solution could have been found meantime. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
Thanks for this. I'll work my way through the programmes in the next few weeks and see what I can find. It's not a major problem, just as I recalled reading of other unexplained crashes thought a straightforward solution could have been found meantime. Thanks.
The ones THAT have been identified are on the list.
PLEASE, if and when you do find the cause. POST what you found in this thread. The list can grow with help
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
@africalass

You might want to download the Autoruns program from Microsoft, it makes it easy to disable/enable start up programs (checkbox's on left), it can save a lot of time for this sort of exercise. Autoruns does not require any installation.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
kanenas0
kanenas0 began at the beginning.

It crashes randomly for me too while it's just minimized in the taskbar.

calibre x64 version in Win7 SP1. Nothing in the related FAQ applies in my system.

The crash is on a Python executable (wpd.pyd) inside the plugins2 folder.
The last crash was an exception 0xc0000005 and happened on hex offset 0x3abd.

I just saw that it loads its own Python 2.7 routines.
Do they work on their own or do they try to use some of the system's Python functions? My active system Python is 2.6 and that could cause a conflict.
I hope it's not the case 'cause 2.6 is needed for many of my applications.
kanenas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not care about system python. There are plenty of things in that faq that apply to your situation, read it again, carefully this time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
kanenas0
kanenas0 began at the beginning.

Thanks. Good to know it doesn't use the system's Python.

As for what other things apply to my case, I'm stumped.
I don't use any of the programs mentioned under 'random crashes' and I don't have a real-time antivirus running. No firewall blocking to calibre either

calibre runs great while I use it so it can't be an x64 vs x86, or some restrictions problem.
It tries to do something while it's in an idle phase and that's where it fails.

I use default options and only have my ebooks stored locally on the hard disk.

I just upgraded to 0.9.24 (from 0.9.23). I'll restart it in debug mode and see what it does. I'll post later if I discover anything.
kanenas0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, crashing