Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
jerry758
jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.jerry758 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Market Timing and Christmas

Hello: I've got a second novel in a series going through final edits and am currently having some friends read and critique it. Now I'm wondering about whether I should try to time the release. Do people buy Kindle E-books for friends as Christmas gifts? Is there a Christmas market I should try to catch on Amazon? If yes, when is the ideal date to publish the book?

Thank you for any suggestions you have.
jerry758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
You would be better off asking in the writer group, but I don't think things like that matter with ebooks because of their infinite shelftime. A lot of people will (probably) get Kindles for Xmas, so they will start looking for something to read on Xmas day.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
A lot of people will (probably) get Kindles for Xmas, so they will start looking for something to read on Xmas day.
That's my opinion also, loosely based on experience.

But don't rush a poorly-edited work off to publication just to catch the Christmas season wave. IMHO that would do you more damage in the long run.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you plan to release only for the Kindle or do you plan to release in ePub for the rest of the world?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My opinion is that you need twenty or more legitimate reviews, a bargain price for the first book and a reasonable price for the follow on. So I would see what you could do towards getting the first book free until you get a solid base of reviews. Then promote it here as free in exchange for reviews. You can always raise the price after you get your first set of reviews.

I guess I'm saying you have to spend time marketing or it won't sell.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert