Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
Exclamation Arabic and zooming PDF's

Hello,

I've been on the hunt for an e-reader that reads PDF's (even tried to figure out how to root my nook). Which brings me to my next point: my growing graveyard of e-readers:

I have a nook simple touch and a sony PRS-t1, and all I want is to be able to read epubs that are in Arabic and also zoom PDF's (the sony at least does that, the nook doesn't). If I have to, I can keep 2 e-readers, the sony and another one, but here's the million dollar question:

does the pocketbook read Arabic epubs (which I heard it did), and if so, how easy is it to make a non-techie like myself make it work, and how good is the support offered by pocketbook while I try to figure that aspect of it out?

Thank you!
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
For any PDF, Arabic or any other language, I'd recommend a large screen e-Reader, either PB902/912 or Onyx Boox M92 - both of them do a great job of reflowing PDFs.
Though i believe that M92 is a little better device in general, but specifically for Arabic, I'd recommend PocketBook, as it is more suited for multilingual support and the actually do have Arabic menu.
If you have a PDF or two in Arabic, you can send it to me at info@ereadersmarket.com, I'll put it on PocketBook and will send you the screenshot of how it is handling it.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Wow, that's cool! If I'm doing epub, do I still need a large screen?

Here's some links for a couple of Arabic epubs:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63071236/Matn_alAkhdari.epub
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63071236/alB...Ibn_Rushd.epub

do I have to do anything special to the pocketbook to make it work, or am I good to go out the box? Is there a particular edition of pocketbook you recommend? Would I be ok with the 612 I believe it is?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Hedaya
Connoisseur

p.s. do you sell them, b/c I tried going on their website, the 877 number doesn't work? If so, do they come Arabic epub ready? (I'm really concerned about my low tech skills......)
Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Ok, so I have this pocketbook, and it reads Arabic texts that are not "voweled" properly, but if it has vowels, it disconnects the letters. Anyone know of any solution for that?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
try and have a look at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=arabic
it could also be a problem with the font you are using.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Maybe, I tried several fonts though, and I don't understand how to fix my CSS issues. The file reads fine in Calibre by the way. It's on my reader that I have an issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Maybe you know how to do this: I don't understand enough of this CSS business. I know the font I want to use is called "traditional Arabic" and the file is named trado.ttf for the regular and tradbdo.ttf for the bold-faced font.

Thanx.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

can you upload the file in question, so that I can try it out on my machines? Alos, which programme are you usin for reading?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Hedaya
Connoisseur

I would greatly appreciate it. I've tried everything I can think of. I already have an account. :-)

This is an example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63071236/alTuruq.epub

It reads fine in Calibre. But using the FB reader in my Pocketbook, it should like this:

ذَهَبَ الوَلَدُ

But it looks like this:

ذ َ ه َ ب َ ا ل و َ ل َ د
Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
paola
Wizard

I'll have a go at it tonight, and let you know how it goes!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Awesome, thank you! :-)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedaya View Post
Maybe you know how to do this: I don't understand enough of this CSS business. I know the font I want to use is called "traditional Arabic" and the file is named trado.ttf for the regular and tradbdo.ttf for the bold-faced font.

Thanx.

I'm not sure if you need to know anything of css at all.
What are you doing? Have you copied the fonts into the fonts folder of your Pocketbook? And did you choose, after opening the book with FBreader, this font as the general font?
I've opened your book on my Pocketbook and I think I didn't have any problems (I'm not 100 percent sure as I don't have any knowledge of the Arabic language). It looked well, without any issues. I've tried some fonts like Dejavu-Sans and Linux Libertine, they worked fine.
A collection with links to Arabic fonts you can find (for instance) here:
http://www.smi.uib.no/ksv/ArabicFonts.html
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Yes, I have. The thing is, it *does* work, with non-voweled texts (and incidentally smaller ones). If they are voweled, it doesn't read it right, and I've tried every font I can think of (I even tried to peak at what font may have been embedded in the epubs, which looked to me like just plain old Times Roman, so I tried that too.

As for file size, if it's over 8 MB, even if it is not voweled (and therefore should work), my other problem is the reader freezes up.

(incidentally, if you hear thumping, that would in fact be my head against a wall! =) )
Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Hedaya
Connoisseur

(p.s. when you checked it, how many pages in did you go? Most books only start voweling in the proper text. i.e. like on this one http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63071236/alTuruq.epub the voweling starts ~ 3-4 pages in. Then you see it:

ا ُ ر ِ ي د ُ ا َن

That's not how it should look. The phrase would be: أُريدُ أَن

What model do you have?