Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Firmware 2.1.2 RC3 for Pro models released!

Have a look here:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...4l5otBw#790131

Here are the download links:
PocketBook Pro 912
PocketBook Pro 903
PocketBook Pro 902
PocketBook Pro 612
PocketBook Pro 603
PocketBook Pro 602

EDIT: bear in mind this all looks experimental, and if I understand correctly from googletranslate, they are going to realease a new version every friday at 6pmn (their time) presumably until they get the stable, final one.

Last edited by paola; 11-19-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: added the links
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
...presumably until they get the stable, final one.
Regarding the time they take to implement fixeas I'm afraid we all die of old age before a stable and bugfree version is released

New way to deal with unhappy customers: Put them off to the grave
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Regarding the time they take to implement fixeas I'm afraid we all die of old age before a stable and bugfree version is released

New way to deal with unhappy customers: Put them off to the grave
yes, you are probably right! However, there are some improvement, for the little I've seen so far (I've not have had time to play around with it sufficiently long). One very neat new feature that I like a lot: if you are reading a document and point to the page number on the status bar, a menu pops up with a numerical keypad ro insert the number of the page you want - now stop here without confirming the selection, and you will get a preview of the page! Very very handy if you are "browsing" and do not remember exactly where something was in the book, since once you preview the page, you can use the arrows in the said keypad to move to the enxt/previous page.

You can get the same function by calling the "goto page" submenu. In addition, the last four opened pages will show as thumbnails in the "gotopage" submenu. And you can quickly shift between these four last open pages while reading by a press and hold on the "book" button: this brings up the four last open pages (as thumbnails) and you can switch between them very quickly. This is great if you are working on a text and want to quickly switch between what you are reading now and e.g. definitions which you read in previous pages and need to refer back to. Very very neat.

Freehand annotation in pdf files works much quicker on my device than with the previosu RC2, but it may be that I had a problem with that before, as I know for some this function was quick. In pdfviewer the status bar is now showing, though for scrolling within the same page you still have to use a longish press of the joystick.

The browser is nice (as it was before), and from one of the menus (ope file) it looks like you can access all the files that are in the "ianccessible part" of the device - this is probably of no use (surely, it says nothing to me), but I say this in case one of you geeks can use this info for any geeky stuff

The configuration menu has now an entry for "library", where you can set whether the library is updated automatically or not, and the same for the optimization of the database - on this I am a little bit lost, I think that there were issues raised in the Ukranian forum about batery consumption with continuous updating of the library, so I think that with these functions the user can choose whether to do so manually instead than automatically.

Now the negatives so far: the rendering of some submenus is hardly readable, and same if you create a new bookmark in the bookmark bar of the browser, until you somehow press something that refreshes the screen, and then you are ok - this happens even if you have refresh at every page.

When using the dictionary, the ghosting is quite serious, with some lines becoming unreadable. And dictionaries do another funny thing: if I invoke any of the websters' dictionaries, the keyboard witches to the one for non touch models (the one divided in three sections). Go to the oxford dictionary, and all looks fine, go back to a webster's (or an Italian one I have) and you get a different layout for hte keyboard, which is also unresponsive to the stylus: bizarre!

Last edited by paola; 11-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
bizarre!
I think this one of the most accurate description of PB firmware "improvements"

Regarding the browser: totally useless if you have a non-touch device, I can't even enter a web page because the cursor doesn't allow to control the top line

Last edited by troll05; 11-19-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I think this one of the most accurate description of PB firmware "improvements"
while of course a reasonable user manual is of course too much of a luxury

Quote:
Regarding the browser: totally useless if you have a non-touch device, I can't even enter a web page because the cursor doesn't allow to control the top line
This I finally managed to do (I am talking of the application called "Webbrowser"): when you first launch it (at least on my machine) at the top you can only see the forward, back and reload symbols. Now if you press the "books" button, a bar appears at the top with various dropdown menus: from the "File" menu select the "open tab", and the cursor should go on the address bar.

Of course there must be a better way, but obviously it would be far too easy with a manual, right?

p.s.
does not Forkosigan give you tips in the German forum?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
p.s.
does not Forkosigan give you tips in the German forum?
From time to time, if complaints reach a certain limit.
But I think he too is pissed with his employees, because thay fu... up everything time and again
Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
I downloaded the software for PB903 but got the message that the image was corrupted when I did the upgrade. Has someone already installed successfully RC3 of 2.1.2? If not where can we find the correct image.

Thanks a lot in advance

Marc Mertens
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Mertens View Post
I downloaded the software for PB903 but got the message that the image was corrupted when I did the upgrade. Has someone already installed successfully RC3 of 2.1.2? If not where can we find the correct image.

Thanks a lot in advance

Marc Mertens
Hi Marc,
yes I have and did not have any problems - I downloaded the file and unzipped it on the micro sd card, and updated from there (but in the past I put the files in the main memory, and it can update from there too). Perhaps something went wrong when downloading or unzipping?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Here is some kind of a changelog for the latest versions (RC3), the files seem to be the same:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1078
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I did the upgrade and rolled back to RC2.

Now Cool Reader 3 do not respond to the keymap ini file. I can not find the CR3 main menu.

I assignned the down long press key to the CR3 main menu, and now or exits the CR3

any toughts
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Quote:
Hi Marc,
yes I have and did not have any problems - I downloaded the file and unzipped it on the micro sd card, and updated from there (but in the past I put the files in the main memory, and it can update from there too). Perhaps something went wrong when downloading or unzipping?
Hi,

thanks for your reply I downloaded the update again an now the installation worked without any problem. So far everything seems to work fine, annotating pdf files works great although deleting the annotation seems to be on the slow side. For the moment I'm quite happy with the upgrade.

Marc Mertens
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #12
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
I did the upgrade and rolled back to RC2.

Now Cool Reader 3 do not respond to the keymap ini file. I can not find the CR3 main menu.

I assignned the down long press key to the CR3 main menu, and now or exits the CR3

any toughts
Hi Skydive, a new Coolreader version is out, you could try it.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
any toughts
skydive, please make sure that no other action is assigned in global key settings they have higher priority over CR keymaps.ini settings.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
nicow
nicow began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 602
paola, Do you know if the next version of firmware support bluetooth keyboard "can type letters" not only a remote keyboard function?
thx
nicow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicow View Post
paola, Do you know if the next version of firmware support bluetooth keyboard "can type letters" not only a remote keyboard function?
thx
Hi nicow, I am afraid I do not know - but you could ask in a PM to Dolanski, who is a beta tester on the German forum - apparently beta testers are already on RC5, so there may have been substantial improvements, but I am afraid all I know is what I manage to decipher via google translate...