Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Register at the B&N website, then use that to register the device. No CC required. don't do it VIA the device itself.

If you don't register, the wifi stays on.

I bought a Nook and I think it's great e-reader for the price. Now I have rooted it and I think it's a ridiculously great e-ink tablet for the price. The battery life isn't great but I blamed that on rooting. I might invest in a cheap replacement battery. I can take notes, export / import files via drop-box and even read and edit spreadsheets on it. And it works in sunlight. Did I mention I read on it too? Great device. I love it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by stio View Post
As for it being a tinfoil attitude, maybe some of us just like to think that when we buy something it belongs to us and we don't have to allow the original vendor to "keep tabs on us" while we use it. For a slightly more practical justification, I refer you to the celebrated recent case where Amazon remotely wiped a woman's Kindle, without justification or explanation:

http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/...by-amazon-drm/

Sometimes a wee bit of tinfoil head-covering is a good thing!
Oh the horror! Why don't you just turn wifi off? You got yourself all this trouble for a month; a simple google search would have pointed out that you do not need to provide payment details to register, and that not doing so would severely affect your battery life. The fact that you have to go through hoops to skip registration should have given you some hint that you were running the device in an unsupported mode.

And if I recall correctly, her account was re-instated. But that's besides the point.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a B&N account as a result of the Fictionwise transfer. I never added any payment details, and don't plan to as I have no intention of buying books from B&N, that's what I have a Kindle for. My Nook registered fine without any prompts to add payment details.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
stio
stio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Well, I registered the Nook last night, using a spam-catcher email address and charged it up to 97% before I hit the sack. This morning the charge had only dropped to 96%, so it's looking good so far. Fingers crossed it won't have dropped any further since then [I'm at work at the mo', so can't check again til I get home].

Thanks to john306 for the original suggestion that not registering with B&N is responsible for the massive battery drain
stio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Do a little research before you come in all guns blazing and criticizing a very good device and an excellent deal.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Even with wifi off, the Bn* applications are probably waking up fairly periodically to see if the wifi is on so they can bug you about registration. Since the NST is basically an Android tablet, they probably have services running to do this "for your convenience" :P. Registration doesn't require payment details so that is a small price (IMHO) to get away from the hassle but if not, you can root it and then use "adb logcat" to see which service is running in this manner and delete it.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
but if not, you can root it and then use "adb logcat" to see which service is running in this manner and delete it.
No clue how to even begun doing that.

I tried reading about rooting on that (is it XDA?) website/forum and realized I was in over my head in a major way.

Someone needs to write a "rooting your Android device for dummies" book. In plain simple language. I can follow instructions when I can understand what all the words mean.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Speaking as someone who has moved from a Kobo Touch (touchscreen stopped working after 18 months ) to a NOOK Simple Touch, I am well satisfied so far for my £29 outlay.

The "setup" was a whole lot easier than Kobo, especially as I bought 3 Kobo replacements that failed during setup !

Provided my NOOK carries on working ok I will be very pleased.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, battery, charge, life, nook