Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
You could always backup your Calibre library on a flash drive, external drive, or even dropbox.
I do have multiple copies. But what happens when the appocalypse hits and all of those copies are lost? Besides the fact that I won't have electric to be able to read them anyway.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You'll be too busy running from the zombies that'll be trying to eat your brains to have much time left to read....
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
You'll be too busy running from the zombies that'll be trying to eat your brains to have much time left to read....
Seriously. If the apocalypse happens, reading ebooks will be at the bottom of my list.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I downloaded my purchases again after my credit card was stolen because at some point in the future I won't still have the data that I provided to make the purchase. I can't keep track of different credit cards used to make purchases. I do disinfect when I get my books, but if at some point in the future something happens to my Calibre library and I have to disinfect again it's easier to have all my books with the same credit card.
As far as I know, the book is encrypted when you download, not when you purchase. If you change your credit card info on your account and redownload, the books will still work.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
As far as I know, the book is encrypted when you download, not when you purchase. If you change your credit card info on your account and redownload, the books will still work.
That's how it has worked for me as well, when I first started using B&N, I don't think they have changed that. It was another incentive to disinfect them right away and manage them myself.

I have alternative energy resources sufficient to power my toys, even if I have to do without AC.

Luck;
Ken

I seem to remember that the authorities are all prepared to deal with the zombies.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-13-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Seriously. If the apocalypse happens, reading ebooks will be at the bottom of my list.
Depends on what's in your collection.
Mine includes a bunch of survivalist and sustainable gardening stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-S.../dp/B0056GXGWM

fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
While Nook for PC is going away, Nook for Web is still available.
Except a lot of books don't work in Nook for Web at this time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Precisely. When my credit card has expired, and I've gone to download a book again, I just enter the new credit card number and complete the download. Yes, the credit card number is in the DRM, but it is still access to the store account that really counts.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #24
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
You're right, and I re-downloaded to get the new card info.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #25
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd be very surprised if they got rid of the 'Download' button anytime soon. Still plenty of Nook devices out there for people to download and transfer to.
Except the shiny new UK Nook store doesn't have an option to download a book you have bought, only way I can get a copy onto my PC is to download the book to the android app, copy the book from the app folder to a folder that is visible to the PC when I plug in the phone, copy from the phone to the PC.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #26
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Except the shiny new UK Nook store doesn't have an option to download a book you have bought, only way I can get a copy onto my PC is to download the book to the android app, copy the book from the app folder to a folder that is visible to the PC when I plug in the phone, copy from the phone to the PC.
I've got it one step quicker than that. After downloading in the Android app, navigate to the Nook content folder in a file manager and send the book to Dropbox or Google Drive. At least the download to the PC part's automatic!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Except the shiny new UK Nook store doesn't have an option to download a book you have bought
Did it ever (just out of curiosity)?

I can go the android route myself rather easily (should my download button disappear), but I imagine I'd just opt to buy from a store that didn't make it as awkward to get a physical copy of the file on my PC.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did it ever (just out of curiosity)?
No. We've also never had the option to read books online or use Nook for PC, as far as I'm aware.

Also, magazine subscriptions link to the page for buying the magazine, not to the issues that you've purchased. And my Fictionwise library never did turn up.

The uk.nook experience is distinctly half-hearted and unfinished.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm in the UK and my Fictionwise books turned up, all 178 of them.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
And my Fictionwise library never did turn up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm in the UK and my Fictionwise books turned up, all 178 of them.
It was hit or miss for folks in both the UK and US. The whole FW shut down/transfer was definitely not a stellar moment for B&N, unfortunately they seem to have a lot of those kind of moments.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote