Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
ACSM format

I just purchased an Adobe Digital Edition book from fictionwise. I expected it to be in EPUB format. It was in ACSM format which I have never heard of. I downloaded Adobe's Digital Edition software and even it didn't recognize the file type. I use Calibre to manage my books for my SONY 505 and I don't know what to do with this book I just purchased. I am new at this. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I don't have any experience with this but, I did google it and found the below information...

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6cefd

"Topic

.acsm file format converter??

Cotannah - 01:35pm Oct 21, 2008 Pacific

I paid for an ebook in the .acsm ( Adobe Digital Edition) format and did read it very well and it wont load into my sony reader as I only have the 500 not the new one. Is there any way to change the file format to either .pdf or .txt??? Because I would really like to read this book.

Thanks for any replies.

JimLester - 2:44pm Oct 21, 08 PST (#1 of 22)

The .acsm file isn't the book - it a purchase ticket that allows you to download the book.
In Digital Editions you can find the path to the book in the Item Info dialog. You can bring up the Item Info dialog from the Reading Menu (in Reading View) or pressing Ctrl+I (Cmd+I on the Mac).

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Cotannah - 10:22pm Oct 21, 08 PST (#2 of 22)

Thanks for that. I still have an issue, I have found teh downloaded file but when I open it with adobe reader 8 it just pops up a web page telling me to download digital edition. So I cant read it in adobe reader

JimLester - 10:39am Oct 23, 08 PST (#3 of 22)

This is expected. Content Server 4 protected ebooks can not be opened in either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and can only be opened in Digital Editions."

Hope this helps... Maybe someone with more experience with jump in.....
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
I just purchased an Adobe Digital Edition book from fictionwise. I expected it to be in EPUB format. It was in ACSM format which I have never heard of. I downloaded Adobe's Digital Edition software and even it didn't recognize the file type. I use Calibre to manage my books for my SONY 505 and I don't know what to do with this book I just purchased. I am new at this. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Just right click "open with", choose ADE - if not there find it wherever it's installed - make sure it's authorized and open. You will get your ebook in your Documents/Digital Editions folder in whatever format - epub/pdf - is

Or you could open ADE and use open file to open the acsm and same will happen
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Thank-you all. I know have the book I paid for and can see it in Calibre. Thanks again.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
lexila
lexila began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs down Can't add acsm file to kindle 2

I am aso having the same problem with diesel books. I purchased a ebook and its in a acsm format and I dont know how to add it to the Kindle. I submitted 3 inquries to this website which has no telephone number and I hav not gotten any reply so I have had my ebook purchase forever and have yet to e able to read it because there seems no way possible to add the file to the Kindle.

Diesel book sucks and their customer service is non-existant. I urge anyone NOT to ever makea purchase from that site.
lexila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexila View Post
I purchased a ebook and its in a acsm format and I dont know how to add it to the Kindle.
As explained earlier in the thread, an .acsm file is a "ticket" to get an Adobe .epub. Install Adobe Digital Editions on your PC or Mac and use it to open the .acsm file. Adobe Digital Editions will download the .epub and open it for reading.

The Kindle does not read ePubs directly, but Calibre can convert a DRM-free ePub to MOBI for your Kindle. However, most Adobe ePubs have DRM (encryption).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
avidreader53
avidreader53 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Unhappy converting acsm to read on my kindle- help please

I have access through my library for e-books, but they download as an acsm file. How can I convert it to e-pub seems calibre is unable to recognise .acsm. Help please
avidreader53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidreader53 View Post
I have access through my library for e-books, but they download as an acsm file. How can I convert it to e-pub seems calibre is unable to recognise .acsm. Help please
Download Adobe Digital Editions, and register an AdobeID. Then click on the .ascm file and ADE will use it to download the DRM-protected ePub. To get it on a Kindle you need to strip the DRM and format shift to MOBI using Calibre. The DRM-stripping is done by a 3rd party plug-in to Calibre, look for the tools_v2.2a bundle. Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good place to study DRM issues, don't forget to look at the early posts which are still relevant.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
halibrewer
halibrewer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As explained earlier in the thread, an .acsm file is a "ticket" to get an Adobe .epub. Install Adobe Digital Editions on your PC or Mac and use it to open the .acsm file. Adobe Digital Editions will download the .epub and open it for reading.

The Kindle does not read ePubs directly, but Calibre can convert a DRM-free ePub to MOBI for your Kindle. However, most Adobe ePubs have DRM (encryption).
--- thanks, but how do you do that? I have calibre, but to add books, you need to find the file, I did that but it says cannot convert - no suitable format was found - so now what? I have the adobe digital editions software too, but do not wish to read the books on my computer - I want to read them on kindle.
I do not know how to get them into my kindle. from either digital editions or calibre. is it possible?
halibrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibrewer View Post
I do not know how to get them into my kindle. from either digital editions or calibre. is it possible?
The DRM-stripping is done by a 3rd party plug-in to Calibre, look for the tools_2.4 bundle. If you add the plug-in, Calibre can import the ePub and make it DRM-free and you can then convert it to MOBI for your Kindle. Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good place to study DRM issues.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
squidly
squidly began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
The DRM-stripping is done by a 3rd party plug-in to Calibre, look for the tools_2.4 bundle. If you add the plug-in, Calibre can import the ePub and make it DRM-free and you can then convert it to MOBI for your Kindle. Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good place to study DRM issues.
I saw your post here and downloaded the plug-in you mentioned, but it does make any changes to my epub files when I import them into Calibre - I still get the DRM error message? I have been googling looking for help with it, but have not been able to find anything.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidly View Post
I still get the DRM error message?
First, make sure you can read the ebook with Desktop Adobe Digital Editions. Second, make sure you have loaded the correct plug-in, there is one for Adobe and one for B&N epub DRM. Then try importing again.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
blackops
blackops began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
First, make sure you can read the ebook with Desktop Adobe Digital Editions. Second, make sure you have loaded the correct plug-in, there is one for Adobe and one for B&N epub DRM. Then try importing again.
How are you able to make sure the plugin for Adobe Digital Editions is installed properly?

I am able to read the the file through Adobe Digital Editions.

I have loaded both the Adobe and B&N version to be safe but it still does not work properly when I import a new book and try to convert it over to mobi file. I get the file has DRM on it.

I do not know if it installed properly or configured properly and I cannot find the *.der file that it is suppose to create.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
blackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
squidly
squidly began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I discovered I had not loaded the correct plug-in - I didn't go far enough into the directory of Calibre plug-ins for the right zip file. It is working like a charm now. Thank you for your reply.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
blackops
blackops began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidly View Post
I discovered I had not loaded the correct plug-in - I didn't go far enough into the directory of Calibre plug-ins for the right zip file. It is working like a charm now. Thank you for your reply.
Squidly, what did you have to do? I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.

However when I look under Calibre and the preferences and plugins I can see the 3 inept plug-ins listed there. However I do not think it is installing correctly.

So did you install the wrong plug-in thus why it was not doing what you wanted it to do or did you install the correct plug-in but it just had not installed properly?

Do I need to move certain files to certain directories manually or what.

Any help would be appreciated.
blackops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, acsm, calibre, epub, sony