Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #1
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Kobo Mini how/where to transfer free epubs via USB?

How do I copy my own epubs from the computer into Mini?

Mini is my 4th ereader but I am stuck on getting epubs into the device.

What I've done:
Created a Kobo account (no payment information yet)
Connected to my wifi, Kobo Mini updated itself and restarted now running Software Version 3.4.1

Read: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Talk:Kobo_eReader

Connected via USB and copied 3 different epubs into
  • \.kobo
  • \.kobo\kepub (seems there are some encrypted epubs here)
  • \.kobo\Kobo (most logical)

I still do not see any books in Library.

Library Settings are:
Only show downloaded items OFF
Show Thumbnails ON
Book Management:
Downloaded Kobo Books 0
Downloaded previews 0
Imported Items 0

All I get is option to buy books from Kobo store when I add
Pressing Sync seems to do nothing besides forever spinning progress.

What is the missing step?

PS I am hoping I do not have to install a Kobo specific software to my computer to transfer files via USB
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Don't put the books in the .kobo directory or any other directory that the device creates. Instead, put them in the root directory, or create your own directory below root.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Don't put the books in the .kobo directory or any other directory that the device creates. Instead, put them in the root directory, or create your own directory below root.
This.

Alternatively, if you're planning on having a library of more than a handful of two of books, I suggest you start managing your epub library with Calibre, and using that to put your books on your reader.

This way you can manage the metadata (title, author, description, cover, tags etc) in Calibre, convert formats if you acquire books in other formats, manage collections, and have your library backed up in an organised way.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Thank you guys!

Putting epubs into root of Kobo Mini worked splendidly.

Also making my own directories and putting epubs there worked just fine. This is where my experience with Kindle directory structure was a distraction.

I agree Calibre would work best for managing a larger collection.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Just to clarify this, don't put it into any directory whose name starts with a period (.). These directories (typically admin stuff) are treated as invisible by the device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 AM   #6
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
I am new to Kobo too. I used to copy the books to the root directory. But in this way, it will become unorganized when you put more books into the device. So, I start learning using Calibre last night, and it is easy to pick up and the books are now very organized.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
I am new to Kobo too. I used to copy the books to the root directory. But in this way, it will become unorganized when you put more books into the device. So, I start learning using Calibre last night, and it is easy to pick up and the books are now very organized.
I guess it never actually got mentioned in this thread yet, but you can create your own directories under the root to organize the files (they don't show up when you're reading on the device, but will show when you look in the directories). The only real stipulation is to NOT put a period at the start of the name.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I guess it never actually got mentioned in this thread yet, but you can create your own directories under the root to organize the files (they don't show up when you're reading on the device, but will show when you look in the directories). The only real stipulation is to NOT put a period at the start of the name.
Oh... What I meant organized is, you can put the books in different categories and it makes you easier to pick a book to read. If you have only 10 or less books in the reader, you shouldn't have problems. But if you have 20 30 or more books in the reader, then I think using Calibre can help.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote