Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
RJK
RJK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Samsung Galaxy - any eyestrain or eye fatigue reading ebooks?

Just curious what people think of the Samsung Galaxy tab in terms of reading an ebook? I want to know how people find the super AMOLED screen, and if they experience more or less eye strain compared to using e-ink?

I have done some searching, but not found a great deal. Only complaints I've seen from people is that they feel the brightness needs turning down at night.

Thanks in advance!
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i had the tab for a while and i still have my nook color. i've never had any eyestrain from either. nor have i had any eyestrain from my touch pro, tp2, ipod touch, droid or evo 4g.

i always keep the brightness low and in the dark i use black bg with red text.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The galaxy tab does not have a super AMOLED screen, at this time it's only their galaxy phones that have that technology.
As for how good the super AMOLED screen is, it's awesome the true black is amazingly dark. Night reading, with a black background gives off very little light. The colors are richer since there I'd no bleeding over if light.

While the nook color had a bigger screen than my phone, I trend to like the samsung screen much more.

Last edited by =X=; 03-09-2011 at 05:02 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
As =X= said, not Super Amoled, but mine is very good. I had been reading nearly exclusively on my HTC EVO 4G (4.3" screen), but sice I got my SGT, I havent opened an ereader on the phone. The clarity is nearly equal, but the larger screen is a God send. And the SGT is a perfect size, as large as possible and still fits in my front trousers pocket.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
RJK
RJK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Woops, clearly I was wrong about the specs being super AMOLED, thanks for the correction and for the feedback!
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I don't have the Tab, but I have the Super AMOLED phone. It may not be the fairest comparison, but I'll also suggest turning the background to black and the text to grey (or some color like that). It has gotten rid of any eyestrain I'd previously experienced. I also use Screen Filter, an app that allows me to set the brightness to below the manufacturer's minimum setting.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I have a Samsung Galaxy S as well. Its SuperAmoled screen, plus the color enhancements brought by the Project Voodoo and implemented in custom kernels/ROMs, make reading in that screen a real pleasure. I use Screen Filter to reduce the eye strain like SlowRain does. I have a big format tablet as well (Advent Vega), but its screen is quite bad, so I don't read much on it by night.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
After reading this thread I added Screen Filter and changed my font color to gray and it helps a lot. I was having considerable eye fatigue reading on the Tab but these two changes have made a big difference.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
I have only read one book on my SGT so far and it was a pleasant experience. I used the Nook app reading a book from my Nook Library and set the brightness lower on the Tab and the black text background color was a tan color instead of bright white. There are options to change the background color settings in the Nook App.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Ereading on Galaxy Tab

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab a month ago (if fact, I sold my Archos 5IT because of it).

I use Aldiko 2 and the Kindle App mostly. Also a PDF reader and Zinio. Is reading as good as my DX or Sony 350/650? No - they are easier on the eyes than the Tab.

Is the Tab giving me eyestrain? No, its fine and I use it a lot of the time. It tends to be handy and it has other apps that mean that I have it handy. I can happily read it for hours. It is no worse than the Tablet PC's and its ergonomics are very good (swipe, touch etc.)

Very pleased with it,

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I have no problems reading books for hours on the Galaxy Tab; I do keep my brightness level set pretty low. I very much like my e-ink devices as well -- but their main advantage for me is longer battery life, not front vs. backlighting.

Last edited by bwaldron; 04-22-2011 at 10:47 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I haven't yet put a book on my Tab, but after reading this thread, I may try it (with the modifications suggested).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
glindaharrison
eBook Evangelist
glindaharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles 1,3 & 4 wSO, Literati, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Nook Classic
I agree that the reading on the Samsung Galaxy Tab is suprisingly good. I use the Kindle for Android app. I have vision problems and my Literati causes eyestrain when not in night mode if I read for even 10-15 minutes. So far, the Galaxy Tab has not cause me any problems and I read on it for about 45 minutes at a time....
glindaharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Having re-read this thread, I'll say I've come to use my SGT exclusevly when I read. So far I've read a half dozen or more books, some rather thick, and sometimes for hours at a time. All with no more eyestrain that I would have had with dead trees.

However, this thread has convinced me to try using black background with grey or some other color text, not for the eyestrain aspect, but for saving battery life. It takes a lot more power to light up the whole screen, than it does just the text.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
It'a a bit old thread, but never mind, here's my experience. Having Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a month, I can say that my Kindle 3 is the king. Don't get me wrong, tab is a wonderful device and I'm using it all day, but when it comes to reading my eyes are very thankful for Kindle and I've got a better feeling that I'm actually reading a book. Just my two cents.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote