Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #76
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
1) once rooted if I do not use the root but I continue to read normally, will the battery performance drop down a lot?
2)which the fastest way to download a page from internet directly in the library? there is maybe kinda script, or efficient procedure?
1) No... I'm sure. I haven't detected more battery consumption that if you use the device as before rooting...
2) Perhaps another guy could answer better than me this question...
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #77
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Hi
1 super cool thanks shark i think i should find a kind a way to update in a wiki the google translation of the two russian pages, root & backup highlighting the passage not clear and everybody can update a term, in a coupke of weeks we will have the root guide without any efforce.
2 reply also to meltdown, is not so easy evernote... Does not work to me from the inbuilt browser i can send only links of the page i am seeing.. And if i send from another browser for instance by android or the desktop pc the fonts in the inbound evernote on t2 are too little.
The useful function is that i can read on the go pages in inyernet and save them to read with the dictionary and highlight functions of sony that did a great job with the stock reader application inbulited,. Evernote does not work well too many bugs imo and still worse the app i use in android do not allow to clip big pages

Last edited by trocchietto; 10-29-2012 at 06:23 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #78
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi
1 super cool thanks shark i think i should find a kind a way to update in a wiki the google translation of the two russian pages, root & backup highlighting the passage not clear and everybody can update a term, in a coupke of weeks we will have the root guide without any efforce.
2 reply also to meltdown, is not so easy evernote... Does not work to me from the inbuilt browser i can send only links of the page i am seeing.. And if i send from another browser for instance by android or the desktop pc the fonts in the inbound evernote on t2 are too little.
The useful function is that i can read on the go pages in inyernet and save them to read with the dictionary and highlight functions of sony that did a great job with the stock reader application inbulited,. Evernote does not work well too many bugs imo and still worse the app i use in android do not allow to clip big pages
number 2) regarding the download from the inbuilted browser for finality of saving, highlighting, looking up words with the dictionary, I found in the mobile read wiki for apps that work for T1:
Maxthon Android Web Browser - out of 7 browsers verified as installable and functional (Boat 2.7, Boat Mini 3.1, Dolphin Mini various builds, Maxthon 2.5, Miren 1.2, Opera Mini 6.5, xScope 6.44) only this one, Maxthon, got the custom download location feature actually working, which is some sort of indication of how well the others are written (Dolphin and Opera excluding, because they simply hard-code the download location). This feature is crucial when using additional SD card or using Dropsync and having downloaded files automatically uploaded to your PC. To use Maxthon in the monochrome mode (which is the only way to surf the net on current e-ink displays) you should download the "Black" Theme from the "Theme" menu, which switches to high-contrast menus (from the default low-contrast ones which would look OK only in the default 16-"color" mode while under the fast monochrome mode they can't be seen at all,
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #79
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
HERMOSO
2)which the fastest way to download a page from internet directly in the library? there is maybe kinda script, or efficient procedure?
I bought Sony PRS-2 exatly for that!
1-You should be registered to Evernote
2-install this plugin on Firefox http://evernote.com/intl/it/clearly/ (it works just with Firefox) and set it with your Evernote username and password
3-Set Sony PRS-2 with your Evernote username and password
3-Choose same webpages you want to read on your ereader and select Evernote Clearly icon on Firefox.
4-Syncronize Evernote on your Sony PRS-2
5-You'll find web pages before choosen ready for being read (epub format) in the evernote bookshelf of your ereader: it's amasing!

Last edited by cicabum; 11-02-2012 at 08:08 AM.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #80
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
I bought Sony PRS-2 exatly for that!
1-Subscribe to Evernote
2-install this plugin for Firefox http://evernote.com/intl/it/clearly/ (it works just with Firefox) and set it with your Evernote username and password
3-Set Sony PRS-2 with your Evernote username and password
3-Choose same webpage you want to read on your ereader and select Evernote Clearly icon on Firefox.
4-Syncronize Evernote on your Sony PRS-2
5-You'll find web pages before choosen ready for being read (epub format) in the evernote bookshelf of your ereader: it's amasing!
thank you cicabum, do you mean with a rooted device?(firefox is on the sony reader or on a desktop,mobile)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #81
trocchietto
Addict

Dear Everybody,
I translated the russian instruction,
but really it is not clear to me how to hack,
for instance when I have to do the jailbreak? it says if it is in the "priestine" condition do the jail break. what does it means, that is in the case I did not try any trick yet?
and then all the file that are enclosed I have just to put on the SD card the remaining 4 files :
The automatic resizing / data partition (did I have to partition as I do with linux systems?)
download setup ADB (the recovery is if something goes wrong i suppose)
download app2sd
then there is this
AMR minimal root(why has been updated after it is maybe essential or not? it is maybe for US EU installations as indicated so I MUST install it?)

as it is super easy, could maybe somebody write the 3-4 steps for dummies without supposing any previous user knowledge? I think we need that as in internet there is any doc in English, I reckon should be a five minute task
thank you

Last edited by trocchietto; 11-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #82
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
It is for desktop. You don't need to root for that. It just makes use of the evernote extension for firefox. Click the button on your computer the extension adds, and it puts a copy of tgat page in evernote to download onto your T2
Quote:
Dear Everybody,
I translated the russian instruction,
but really it is not clear to me how to hack,
for instance when I have to do the jailbreak? it says if it is in the "priestine" condition do the jail break. what does it means, that is in the case I did not try any trick yet?
and then all the file that are enclosed I have just to put on the SD card the remaining 4 files :
The automatic resizing / data partition (did I have to partition as I do with linux systems?)
download setup ADB (the recovery is if something goes wrong i suppose)
download app2sd
then there is this
AMR minimal root(why has been updated after it is maybe essential or not? it is maybe for US EU installations as indicated so I MUST install it?)

as it is super easy, could maybe somebody write the 3-4 steps for dummies without supposing any previous user knowledge? I think we need that as in internet there is any doc in English, I reckon should be a five minute task
thank you
In this case pristine means as it came from the factory.

As far as the rest, let me take a look and see what else i can clarify

Last edited by Hellmark; 11-02-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #83
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
thank you cicabum, do you mean with a rooted device?(firefox is on the sony reader or on a desktop,mobile)
Firefox is on a desktop and it's not necessary to root the device.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #84
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
It is for desktop. You don't need to root for that. It just makes use of the evernote extension for firefox. Click the button on your computer the extension adds, and it puts a copy of tgat page in evernote to download onto your T2

In this case pristine means as it came from the factory.

As far as the rest, let me take a look and see what else i can clarify
(well, what is cool is to save also from the browser inbuilted, to translate highlight etc) without using a desktop)
thank you for the help I am really cautious before to try to modify the device.
is kind of short job with a huge potential benefit for all the mass users.
maybe we can work an a wiki all togheter
Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #85
alesjur
alesjur began at the beginning.

Device: nook, T1, T2
A few days ago, I've got one. Yesterday I've tried to root with Boroda's "general sheme of action". I have European version, firmware is now latest version. But nothing hapens after installing Jailbreak. So, when I've tried to root with Zeam Luncher, copying was OK, but later(after started MSC utility) I've got a message "Device is not connected to PC"

Any ideas how to deal with this?!
alesjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #86
alesjur
alesjur began at the beginning.

Device: nook, T1, T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesjur View Post
But nothing hapens after installing Jailbreak. So, when I've tried to root with Zeam Luncher, copying was OK, but later(after started MSC utility) I've got a message "Device is not connected to PC"
Obviously it was only my Vista 64..On the other computer with Win7 32 goes perfectly.
alesjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #87
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
trocchietto,

OK, here is my guide - sort of
=== 1st draft ===

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Not rooted, not re-partitioned, not modified PRS-T2
(if it was rooted, re-partitioned, modified - restore it back - how to restore: you should have asked this question before you touched it)

2. The official firmware for EU and US models must be 1.0.03.09110 or earlier. Not sure about RU models.
This guide does not yet cover the newest at this time (2012-11-22) 1.0.04.11081 firmware (EU,US) or 1.0.01.11080 (RU)

So do those steps:

1. If your firmware is earlier than 1.0.03.09110 - update to 1.0.03.09110
Sony explains how to do it.

2. Make the complete backup:
- put rupor-rescue.7z contents (OS Firmware folder) on a micro SD card insert the card, go to recovery mode:
- either by making reset/on while keeping HOME+MENU buttons pressed down (untill the progress indicator of "Opening book..." reaches the end,
- or by command on PC ebook_msc name "PRS-T2" um recovery (for that T2 must be connected to PC via USB).
- connect to PC if not yet connected. A 1.82 GB disk with multiple partitions should be detected.
- make sure that the number of that disk in Windows Disk Manager is less than 10. If it is more than 10 - disconnect some other drives and connect T2 again.
- launch RoadKill select "Store Image" tab, select that physical disk with size 1.82 MB, write some target file name, press Start.
In 2 minutes the backup should be made. Or in 36 minutes - for me, the time varies
- exit the recovery mode by reset or reboot.

There are warnings out there that windows wants to format that disk - do not allow to do so. Of course, do not allow to format that disk!!!
Windows did not make such a proposition to me, though.
If you want to get inside T2 you need to install the driver which is also included in that rescue package, but it is outside this guide. Not needed.

3. perform jailbreak.
For this:
- download rupor-jailbreak.7z, un-7zip it
- put an empty sd card into T2.
- Connect T2 to PC.
- when the sd card is detected as a drive, run flash_reader.bat
- reset T2 when it says on its screen "Done. Reboot me" or something like that.
- connect T2 to PC (if disconnected), enable data transfer mode again.
- save script.log from the root of the sd card drive, take a look at it if everything went ok.

4. Re-Partition. THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP WITH SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES. THIS STEP CAN ALSO BE PERFORMED LATER
- but if you perform it after AMR and after you already have some apps installed and moved to sd card - uninstall them before you do this step
This procedure increases data partition to over 400 MB and reduces internal sdcard from 1.35 GB to 1.0 GB
If you choose to do it, a partial recovery will no longer be possible (at least, for now, it can be implemented), in case you need to recover, you will have to use the backup file you made in step 2.
But you will never have problems with apps being too large to fit when installing.

For this:
- download rupor-resize.7z, un-7zip it. Again have T2 connected to PC and the external sd card drive mapped to a letter.
- you may delete the stuff from the previous step if any is remaining, perhaps renamed - I think it is renamed.
- run flash_reader.bat
- reset T2 when it says "Done. Reboot me ..."
- reconnect to PC if disconnected, reenablde data transfer.
- instead of previous 1.35 GB drive labeled READER you will now see a 1.0 GB drive without any label. Give it "READER" label. It is needed for further steps.
- save the script.log and also take a look at it, but if you see that 1.0 GB disk instead of 1.35 GB, you did fine.

5. Dictionaries. THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP WITH POSSIBLY SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES. THE ORDER OF THIS STEP IS NOT IMPORTANT. IT CAN BE DONE LATER, AFTER AMR.
It performs re-partitioning too. The dictionary partition is increased and the factory reset partition is reduced. Also all Sony dictionaries are copied together from EU and RU models.
US model only has a small subset of EU dictionaries.
So, if you have EU model, you get additionally two dictionaries: RU-EN and EN-RU.
All those dictionaries are available to Sony Dictionary and to Sony Reader which can invoke Dictionary.
THERE ARE ISSUES WITH THIS PROCEDURE AFFECTING EU MODEL.
Untill you install AMR, switching of dictionaries may not work, T2 will hang and will require reset.

For this:
- download rupor-dicts.7z, un-7zip it.
- again, do the same as in the previous two steps, i.e., run flash_reader.bat eventually.
- then reset T2 when it says Done.
This step is a bit longer, because the size of the dictionaries is larger.

6. ADB (Android Debug Bridge) - VERY OPTIONAL. YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED IT. It possibly modifies bootloader and recovery partion.
But with ADB you could open a terminal session when T2 is booted and working normally, not in recovery mode.

UPDATE: ADB step is unnecessary if you install Apps2SD because Apps2SD includes also ADB (not tested by me)

If you want to install it:
- download rupor-enable-adb.7z, un-7zip it. Connect T2 to PC in data transfer mode. This time we will need that new 1.0 GB READER disk.
- run flash_reader.bat. After it finishes, T2 reboots and wants to connect to PC again (no reset is needed). So allow it to connect o PC and save the log, this time from the root of the internal sdcard
- you may delete remains of the procedure, if any, maybe just empty folders.

7. Apps2SD - THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP. It is even less needed if you did or are about to do re-partitioning.
It allows to move some installed apps from data section to internal sdcard making even more room for other apps to be installed.
You may do re-partitioning or Apps2SD or both. Or neither.

To do it:
- download rupor-enable-asec.7z, un-7zip it. Connect T2 to PC if not connected. Again, you will need the 1.0 GB READER disk.
- run flash_reader.bat. After it finishes, T2 reboots and tries to connect to PC again, no reset needed.
- get the log again. Collect all the logs in case you will need to show them to rupor Again, you may clean after yourself.

8. AMR. FINALLY! THIS we want! (but not the 2012-11-21 version if you have an EU model). I tried it twice, and both times T2 would not boot.
Needed to use the full backup to rescue the device twice in one day. With EU device, better use the previous AMR version, or, possibly the next one, if the issue is fixed.

Anyway, do this again:
- download rupor-minimal.7z, unpack it. Connect T2 to the PC if not yet connected, etc.
- run flash_reader.bat, the device should reboot and be ready (hopefully). Almost certainly with non-eu models.
- get the log.

You can install new versions of AMR as they appear simply the same way, but you cannot go back to an earlier version of AMR.

Anyway, I wrote this from memory (I did those steps 4 times already with T2 devices alone) so I may be off on some points.
Besides, I sort of ran out of steam while typing this ....

Is there something important left?
How to restore using the previously made full backup?
It is possible. I did it twice today. It involves putting the same files on sd card as when you made backup in step 2, doing reset, pressing ON while holding down HOME and MENU untill the progress indicator reaches the right end.
Then (or before) you connect to PC and it should see that 1.82 GB physical multi-partition disk.
You use RoadKill again, this time in "Write Image" mode and with the previously stored backup file chosen.
This is a dangerous step - if your PC misbehaves, you may have a dead T2.
Better connect PC to UPS, disconnect all the external drives, reboot, do not run any applications, close antivirus if possible (so it does not suddenly start updating or does not get interested in that drive, causing a time out, etc.)
Anyway, be afraid.
It takes about 9-10 minutes
However, when I was making backups, instead of usual 2 minutes, sometimes it took 36 minutes, and with dd command from Cygwin instead of RoadKill - more than 2 hours. So PC clearly does misbehave. It would be very dangerous when recovering.

Don't forget to have T2 fully charged for all those operations and for recovery especially.

Last edited by parkher; 11-24-2012 at 03:46 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #88
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Quote:
AMR. FINALLY! THIS we want! (but not the 2012-11-21 version if you have an EU model). I tried it twice, and both times T2 would not boot.
Needed to use the full backup to rescue the device twice in one day. With EU device, better use the previous AMR version, or, possibly the next one, if the issue is fixed.
Since I do not know what the issue is - I cannot fix it So unless you would be able to provide some information about what happened it is unlikely to be fixed...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #89
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
rupor,
Interesting if anybody else with EU model will confirm it.
I don't really want to try that AMR for the third time. But even if I do, what information can I provide when it does not even boot?
I can provide any information you want with the previous working AMR.
The 1.82 GB image or whatever.

When T2 failed to boot after installing 2012-11-21 AMR for the first time, I assumed there were conflicts with already installed apps.
But the second time it was a fresh install with no additional apps whatsoever.

Perhaps I could experiment with the order of steps, or skipping some optional steps.
For example - would it work without the dictionary step?
But I really do not look forward to restore from backup again - for those anxious 10 minutes ...

Rupor, perhaps you could implement a safer way to restore from backup - a way that does not depend on an external computer being stable for 10 minutes?
An update procedure from the card with the full backup also present on the card.
If it is possible, it would be much safer for everybody.

Optionally - a partial restore, only system and data partitions for the case when data/sdcard re-partitioning was done. That way even if the restore process goes wrong - it can be repeated again and again.

Last edited by parkher; 11-23-2012 at 04:20 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #90
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
parkher

For starters you could provide script.log of your last attempt - quite possibly this would be enough... And I do not think this is related to EU model at all - I had similar problem with my US device.

It is quite hard for me to do anything reliable if you cannot rely on your own computer to be stable for 10 minutes, sorry. I do not even want to try

Partial restore exists for a very long time in a form of porkupan's restore sets. If you did not do re-partition they work wonderfully.

Last edited by rupor; 11-23-2012 at 07:16 PM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote