Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Can't you just get a UK pre-paid SIM to put in your iPhone so it will work for phoning? While most US iPhones are carrier locked, they generally make an exception for international travel.
No, mine is the CDMA version, which is totally incompatible. It is paid up, and I could ask for them to unlock it, but it wouldn't take that kind of SIM card anyway, so there's no point. It has to be a Sprint based phone for that to work; it's an AT&T based phone instead.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
All iPhone's are "world phones" so even Sprint & Verizon phones have GSM radios, they just aren't usually made use of. They can be unlocked for international use so you can get a pre-paid SIM from a company like O2, at least that's how is was explained to me by a friend who used his Sprint iPhone 5 on a trip to the UK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But I don't HAVE a Sprint iPhone 5. I have an AT&T iPhone 5. It's different, internally. I can't switch over to Sprint, even if I wanted to. I'd have to buy a whole different phone.

OHHHHH -- but looking it up, I thought mine was the CDMA type, which couldn't be used in the UK. I guess the older Sprint phones were that kind. Looks like mine is a GSM type and *could* be used in the UK. It does have a SIM slot. Thank you for making me double and triple check my facts, cuz I had them wrong!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

Looks like it's time to ask AT&T to unlock my phone, and I'll get myself a SIM once I arrive over there.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sorry, when I read you had a CDMA version I was thinking you had Sprint.

Sprint & Verizon = CDMA (but their iPhones also have GSM capabilities that are usually locked)
AT&T and T-Mobile = GSM

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

See, I had it backwards all along. Glad you pushed me on it!!! THANK YOU!!

Mwah!! big sloppy wet kiss.
Advert
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #21
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
See, I had it backwards all along. Glad you pushed me on it!!! THANK YOU!!

Mwah!! big sloppy wet kiss.
Deb,

Please find below the linky for the AT&T unlock! The US carriers have new regs in place as of Feb 2015 and you can request a FULL unlock as it is paid up and if you wanted when you came back you could try the MVNO's as well as T-Mobile to save you some funds!

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #22
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Missy Deb!

One list of MVNO's
http://bestmvno.com/mvno-list-featur...d-most-unique/
Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
zebradude
Addict

Deb,

Another list!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators
Old 04-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #24
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
Deb,

Please find below the linky for the AT&T unlock! The US carriers have new regs in place as of Feb 2015 and you can request a FULL unlock as it is paid up and if you wanted when you came back you could try the MVNO's as well as T-Mobile to save you some funds!

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Just did that 45 minutes ago! I have to actually perform the unlock at home, later on, but I requested it just a bit ago. I wonder if the phone actually TELLS you that it is unlocked, somewhere?
Old 04-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #25
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
Thanks for both lists .... I was wondering!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #26
zebradude
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Just did that 45 minutes ago! I have to actually perform the unlock at home, later on, but I requested it just a bit ago. I wonder if the phone actually TELLS you that it is unlocked, somewhere?
Yes if you have a iPhone and I believe that is so. I am attaching the Apple support document that covers the process!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Old 04-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #27
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I won't have the new SIM for a while, and it won't work until I reach the UK anyway. I'll find out tonight (or, soon anyway) whether the iPhone 5 itself has a flag to say "yes, I'm unlocked" even before I change out the SIM card.

The list of network operators (your second list) is great. I think I *will* try one of those, in a day or two, after I unlock. Consumer Cellular sounds ideal, since most of my usage is wifi. I could save a *bundle* !