Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Editing code view in Sigil

The editing of an html file in the code view mode is hampered by Sigil trying to be clever. If I try to change all instances of an html tag ("<blockquote>", for example, Sigil will do a Find/Replace on the opening tag no problem. But when I try to edit the remaining closing tag ("</blockquote"> for example, I can't do it. Sigil refuses to do anything because now the opening & closing tags don't match any more.

The only way I can complete the "Find & Replace" is to copy the entire file and move it to Notepad, and then copy the file back to Sigil. This seems much too clumsy for a smart application like Sigil. Is there anyway to do large edits without confounding Sigil like this?
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
What version are you running? This works ok for me, but of course I'm using the new beta at the moment.

But you can also do this using Regex, for example change all blockquote (with or without classes) to a simple paragraph then this should work:

Code:
Find: (?sU)<blockquote(.*)>(.*)</blockquote>
Replace: <p>\1</p>
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Switch Tidy off, that might do it for you.

However, it is better to use RegEx and do the replace in pairs. Unexpected things can and will happen if you let Tidy fix the HTML for you again.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, of course, Tidy. I turn that off immediately these days - make sure you do the same in the beta - although switching to Edit->Clean Source->Pretty Print (and restarting) is my preferred setting now.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
To replace all of a certain tag:
find: <(/)?blockquote>
replace: <\1newtag>

But yeah, disabling tidy is generally a good plan if you wish to hold on to some sanity (at least in the current release)
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Meme
I have a program (Agent Newsreader) that allows the user the option to Save and always use the same layout at startup, regardless of the last

used configuration. It would be kool to also save toggle settings like Tidy, Search showing, Validation results showing

1) (factory) default. (also a command line switch to call this to recover from error/HW configuration changes)
2) Last used (saves state when closing)
3) Saved (snapshot) of windows and button states
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
To replace all of a certain tag:
find: <(/)?blockquote>
replace: <\1newtag>
This is much simpler but only works if the original doesn't have classes or other attributes. You could drop the closing > and that might work. But as with every replace you have to make sure it applies to what you're doing
Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
find :<(/)?blockquote([^>]*?)>
replace: <\1newtag\2>
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
What version are you running?
Version 0.5.3 - it doesn't say if it's a Beta, or what stage of development. I'm not sure if I can exclude Tidy from Sigil. All I know is that I hate working on anything with Tidy hanging over my shoulder. It's OK if I can call it when I need it, but I don't like it popping up unannounced. The same goes for similar "smart" editors like TinyMCE Edit. They're all a total pain in the you-know-what.
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote