Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
[Custom Kernel] Next/Prev page using any buttons

I've been playing with some kernel hackery and I found simple way to change mapping of any key. This leads to so much desired next page using spacebar tweak.

This kernel includes :

- custom recovery initramfs from yifanlu (huge thanks!)
- my next page using spacebar tweak

Please notice that change in mapping is permanent and native ( in other words it doesnt need any further mods like launchpad etc. )

Enjoy

Kernel-Page

Last edited by seaniko7; 10-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Thanks! How does this affect normal usage of the spacebar? For example typing notes or searching? Also users should know that using a custom kernel will make the 3.3 update fail. (previous updates would just wipe the custom kernel back to stock).
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Input box won't appear because system recognizes spacebar as next page, but it will appear when you press right next page button.

Using this method you can make dvorak keyboard layout for kindle.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I mean, what if you want to type a note. Do you have to use the right turn key as space?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
seaniko7
wannabe developer

Yes.

I think that best way would be to assign spacebar function to least used key (in my case left prev page) like this :

Next page function - right next page button
Next page function - left next page button
Next page function - spacebar button
Space function - left prev page button

As a result we have 3 next page buttons, and space under left prev page.
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
rananna
rananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle
How is this installed?
I tried doing an update on 3.1 but it failed.
rananna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
rananna
rananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchforkrananna can load mercury with a pitchfork

Also, this fails whether or not the kindle3 is jailbroken.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
seaniko7
wannabe developer

rananna, add :
Quote:
update_kindle_3.1_custom_kernel
in your /linkjail/etc/whitelist file.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
rananna

Great! that fixed it - needed to add _k3w after the name to get it to take.
Thanks for the help!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
rananna

Works really good -but a suggestion.
Why not have the space bar be swapped with the back button, leaving the forward button available for use when it is convenient(ie: portrait mode for right handed people)
Having the forward button tied to the spacebar is somewhat limiting.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
rananna

I support this suggestion also!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #12
Juliano Giaretta
Juliano Giaretta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

Very good initiative, seaniko7.

I'm just a beginner in Kindle's universe, and for that i will appreciate some other informations about your tweak.

1) This modification interferes in future updates?
2) How can i revert it (Kindle 3) to the original state?
3) How can i edit this tweak to change the function of other buttons. My intention is to put a forward function (left forward) in the place of the button "Y" (i'm from Brazil, that's why the Y button is of rare use). Just that. I don't want to change the spacebar function because i use it a lot (notes and calendar).
4) Jailbreak the device is not needed, right? (i did not jailbreaked it)

Thanks for the attention.
Juliano
Juliano Giaretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #13
seaniko7
wannabe developer

rananna, I'll prepare such package soon.

Juliano Giaretta:
1) You'll need to uninstall mod first, to perform update in future ( for example to 3.4 )
2) I'll prepare uninstaller in next release
3) It's rather difficult to tweak this mod, unless you know how to compile Kindle 3 kernel, so I'll do it for you.
4) Jailbreak is obligatory to perform this mod.

Cheers
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
Juliano Giaretta
Juliano Giaretta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks
Juliano Giaretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
zenden
zenden began at the beginning.

Device: kind
hi..how to remove this mod?
zenden is offline   Reply With Quote