Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Need help setting up Kobo Touch for my boss

My boss would like and has asked me to help her set it up. She wants me to load some books and 'get everything ready' so she can use it at once. I am worried, however, because the Kobo seems to REQUIRE a software re-install before use. I don't wan to install a bunch of stuff and then have the Kobo erase it when she installs the desktop software. So here is what I am thinking MIGHT work---can anyone clarify for me whether this is the best plan?

1) Run the software update on the Kobo off my computer. When prompted, set up an account for her as a new user (hopefully it will let me do this without putting in a credit card)

2) Side-load whatever content I want to side-load

3) When she gets the Kobo, have her download the software so she can use the Kobo store but since the device has already been set up, it hopefully will not erase the Kobo...

The alternative would be to let her run the setup at home and give her the side-loaded books on a memory card, but I worry she will have trouble getting them off the memory card (I'll want the memory card back) and onto the reader since she is not computer-savvy. My preference would be that as long as the Kobo has already had the firmware upgraded, I can side-load onto it and future use of the desktop software on her own machine will not erase it, but I would love it if someone could confirm this for me.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Ask her if she wants to buy the card or if you should buy it and have her/the company reimburse you. I paid $14 for a 4 Gig card today at Future Shop. It came with that thing-a-ma-bob that let you put the micro-sd card into a regular sized one, if you want. Nice feature to have if the card will be used, from time to time, in both the older Kobo and the new one or if your computer does not have a micro-sd slot.

Or, you can tell her that you will set it up for her after she has done the desktop part.

Or, you can set it up for her on her work computer, letting her set-up her Kobo account, etc. and then do the sideloaded drm free books. Remember that she will have to have her Kobo account and her ADE account to proceed with books that have DRM or are purchased from Kobo. She can then install the desktop and ADE on her own personal computer and go on from there.

Or, she can invite you to her home and you can do it all there.

Last edited by taming; 06-12-2011 at 04:18 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Hi ficbot,

Ok here are a few steps and ways to load books onto the kobo which I've found worked great.

KT requires the Desktop application 2.0 from www.kobosetup.com so i'd have a version setup on a computer that you're planning to use for loading books onto the Kobo. This setup is required also for wifi usage as it installs software that was missing in the factory settings.

Purchasing books through Kobobooks.com can be done wirelessly or directly on the desktop 2.0 application and sync'ed automatically via the usb cable once everything has been setup.

If you are trying to sideload epubs off of websites I would recommend downloading calibre and transfering it via the usb and the KT via a drag and drop.

ADE is required for pdf style locked content like library books which requires you to sign up for an account to authorize the books but it's also a drag and drop once you've set it up.

If you have downloaded content you can also try and archive it into a winrar file and then convert it into an epub using the calibre software and then drag and drop add it to the KT ereader in windows explorer.

Finally like taming said all epubs can also be sideloaded via a mini SD card that fits into the side of the device which can use upto a 32 gig card.

Hope these help you sort it out as I've been finding it exceddingly fun to load and read books on this new version

Michael
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Michael, I know how to do all of this. My question is, if I sideload the books for her on my computer before I run the setup on her computer so she can buy the books herself on her own Kobo account, will running the setup erase the Kobo and hence the sideloaded books?

I did some experimenting and I think it will not, but I wanted to be sure. At any rate, she is bringing in her home laptop and wants me to download the setup app for her too, so I should be able to tinker if need be.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
In that case I'd save the sideloaded books onto a sd card first even though it shouldn't erase the books I went ahead first to load the update on the kobo before loading books, as without the 2.0 desktop application purchasing books off the kobo store is impossible on the device.
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
My boss would like and has asked me to help her set it up. She wants me to load some books and 'get everything ready' so she can use it at once. I am worried, however, because the Kobo seems to REQUIRE a software re-install before use. I don't wan to install a bunch of stuff and then have the Kobo erase it when she installs the desktop software. So here is what I am thinking MIGHT work---can anyone clarify for me whether this is the best plan?

1) Run the software update on the Kobo off my computer. When prompted, set up an account for her as a new user (hopefully it will let me do this without putting in a credit card)

2) Side-load whatever content I want to side-load

3) When she gets the Kobo, have her download the software so she can use the Kobo store but since the device has already been set up, it hopefully will not erase the Kobo...

The alternative would be to let her run the setup at home and give her the side-loaded books on a memory card, but I worry she will have trouble getting them off the memory card (I'll want the memory card back) and onto the reader since she is not computer-savvy. My preference would be that as long as the Kobo has already had the firmware upgraded, I can side-load onto it and future use of the desktop software on her own machine will not erase it, but I would love it if someone could confirm this for me.
just follow the instructions and download the kobo desktop from the site it recoomeneds. www.kobosetup.com
you should be fin.

btw dont forget to show her the soduko game on the Kobo Touch

Last edited by jackastor; 06-14-2011 at 04:09 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote