Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Get Kindle 2 for $159 delivered from Amazon

Amazon (Audible's corporate parent) is offering $100 off Audible ready devices from Amazon for new members.

I think most people know what Audible is, but in case you don't, it is an online audio book club. You can join for as low as $14.95/month which gets you one credit per month. Most books are one credit.

I had cancelled my audible membership over a year ago and have been thinking of rejoining. This gave me a reason to rejoin.

Here is the link:

$100 off Audible ready devices on Amazon

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Exiton
Exiton began at the beginning.

Device: None
Requires 12-month subscription at $14.95 per month.
Exiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiton View Post
Requires 12-month subscription at $14.95 per month.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. But you don't have to pay for it up front. You just pay each month. If you like audio books, it is a really good deal.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Sounds like a decent deal, if you like audiobooks.

Myself, I just couldn't get into them, despite giving them a try once every couple of years.

The voice of the narrator too often became a barrier between me and the content, rather than disappearing into the background as they should.
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
angelbleu,
You just didn't listen to the right book with a decent narration. I will agree that there are a few narrators that are pretty bad. Most of the good audiobooks are really performances and I still prefer a good audiobook over the written word any day.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
is amazon offering any discount on the kindle today? i checked earlier and saw none, nada, zilch. suprising...
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
is amazon offering any discount on the kindle today? i checked earlier and saw none, nada, zilch. suprising...
Yeah, it's weird. Other than the link posted here on this thread I can't find anything about it from either Amazon's or Audible's websites. It's like they haven't started advertising this yet. I wonder if they are saving it for "Cyber Monday".

sahmad88, how did you find out about it? It sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Another thing I noticed is that they don't have the DX listed under the Kindle section. They have it under the MP3 section for some reason. And the page doesn't show me as signed in either. Weird . . .

Nevertheless, $389 is pretty good for the DX too.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 11-27-2009 at 12:52 PM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
sahmad88
Zealot

This deal is the only one I know of I was hoping the refurbished oneswoud at least drop down to $189 again, but I guess not.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
sahmad88
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post

sahmad88, how did you find out about it? It sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
I was poking around looking for black Friday sales in the electronic section on Amazon and there was an advertisement for it on the top of one of the pages. I tried to findit again to post the link here on Mobileread and I couldn't. I had to go back in my history to find it but it is legitimate. I ordered mine yesterday.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
I was poking around looking for black Friday sales in the electronic section on Amazon and there was an advertisement for it on the top of one of the pages. I tried to findit again to post the link here on Mobileread and I couldn't. I had to go back in my history to find it but it is legitimate. I ordered mine yesterday.
Thanks sahmad88 for finding it. This is what's so cool about MR. The inside scoop on everything.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Is there a way to sign up for a membership, pay for a month, and then cancel, so you get the $100 off and only pay for a month? Because you're not paying for everything upfront, correct?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Is there a way to sign up for a membership, pay for a month, and then cancel, so you get the $100 off and only pay for a month? Because you're not paying for everything upfront, correct?
No, that won't work. It's in their restrictions list http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...5#Restrictions
Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
sahmad88
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
My guess is if you cancel early, they charge you for the rest of the membership. You can give the audiobooks as gifts, though. If you know someone who would like audiobooks and has a device that can play the audible format (all Apple iPods have the capability), you can give the book to someone else. That way you still get the Kindle at a discount and have gift(s) for other people.

I am not sure if you can give the credits as gifts, but I know if you use your credits to purchase a book, you can choose to give the book as a gift. Then you can either print a certificate or have it mailed to the recipient. They get a code to enter on the website and download the book. I have done it many times and it is pretty easy. So if you don't want the books for yourself, that is an option.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
sahmad88
Zealot

Whoops, it looks like the ability to use credits for purchases for friends is unavailable now. It is not clear if they are going to bring it back. Here is a quote from their help section:

Quote:
At this time, the Buy for Friend option is not available. We are making improvements to this feature to provide a better experience for our customers.
It sounds like it will come back, but who knows when.