Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
Hi paola, telnet is not needed anymore, fortunately
Currently the screen size of 1024x758 is hardcoded in the file that manages touch events. So as another user reported, on the Touch there's a huge offset between where you touch and what you get. I think it will be the same on the mini. However, just follow the instructions on post #6 and report
that telnet is not needed is a huge relief, as that looks a tad beyond my limits!
I will try tonight and report back, thank you for porting this!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi paola, telnet is not needed anymore, fortunately
Currently the screen size of 1024x758 is hardcoded in the file that manages touch events. So as another user reported, on the Touch there's a huge offset between where you touch and what you get. I think it will be the same on the mini. However, just follow the instructions on post #6 and report
ok, I couldn't resits and checked it - but as you suspected, the offset is huge, making it sadly unworkable.
If you could change the screen size, I'd be forever grateful! And I am very patient
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #18
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
that telnet is not needed is a huge relief, as that looks a tad beyond my limits!
I will try tonight and report back, thank you for porting this!
I'll modify the references to telnet since those could be misleading and drive away possible users.
Regarding the issue with the touch screen I'll try to fix it in the coming days...
I'd be interested to know if the power slider works to reboot also in touch and mini.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #19
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I'd be interested to know if the power slider works to reboot also in touch and mini.
The power slider-reboot does not work on Touch, actually the only way to exit the app is to force a shut down by keeping the slider at least 10 seconds.
The home button works as it closes the actual pdf and the screen goes back to the file selector.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
The power slider-reboot does not work on Touch, actually the only way to exit the app is to force a shut down by keeping the slider at least 10 seconds.
The home button works as it closes the actual pdf and the screen goes back to the file selector.
same here - in fact, to begin with holding the slider does not work, the thing is totally unresponsive. After a few minutes though I can exit by holding the slider for 10 secs (actually, maybe less than that).

Also, I could not change page when browsing which file to open, but that could be again a screen size related issue (by the way, what is the normal way to turn, tap on a side or slide with the finger?)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Actual limitations:
There's no way to control the frontlight while using kpv;
There's no way to get out of kpv besides a reboot.
Hi Giorgio, I could not understand from your video whether it is possible to make highlights and/or take notes with this port: is it possible?

It would be great if it did, as for my purposes the current pdf(in)capabilities are totally inadequate.

Of course, with a mini I'm still missing the correct screen resolution... [hopeful-and-eternally-thankful-hint-hint mode on]
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #22
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi paola, later I'll upload a version tailored for touch and mini. I'd have liked to avoid this but since I still haven't found a solution to those differences, for the time being I have to live with them and release two different version.
However don't keep your expectations too high: there's no highlight/annotation support for pdfs (yet?), but the application features are advancing rapidly so who knows for the future.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #23
tapioco2000
tapioco2000 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
thank you very much for your work.
it's me or it's not possible to change layout to landscape mode?
it would be nice cause it's impossible to use pdf and cbr in glo.
tapioco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapioco2000 View Post
thank you very much for your work.
it's me or it's not possible to change layout to landscape mode?
it would be nice cause it's impossible to use pdf and cbr in glo.
Yes, currently changing to landscape does nothing. I still didn't have the time to look into it. It's sad that no one else seems to be interested in working on this.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #25
tapioco2000
tapioco2000 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Yes, currently changing to landscape does nothing. I still didn't have the time to look into it. It's sad that no one else seems to be interested in working on this.
yes, it's very sad.
that's a great project, kindle pdf engine is better than kobo.
tapioco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
SSJGoku
SSJGoku began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank you for this but I am having difficulty. I am stuck on the second step...Thanks for any help!

install the plugin interface if you didn't do so already;
- in place of one of the custom commands put:
KPV=Plugin::executeSystemCmd("/mnt/onboard/.kobo/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh /mnt/onboard")

Update:

Ok, I got it now.

So I had to install the "Plugin" which is located in the Kobo Developer Corner.

Cheers for this.

Last edited by SSJGoku; 02-07-2013 at 02:34 PM.
SSJGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
Have you thought about building a Qt based backend? This is exactly what the Kobo plugin interface was made for, custom viewers for additional document types. This would give full integration with the rest of nickel. I haven't looked at the kindlepdfviewer source yet, but the build you uploaded looks really promising as a better pdf viewer.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
paola
Wizard

Hi Giorgio,
first of all thanks a lot for your efforts!

Quote:
It's sad that no one else seems to be interested in working on this.
Well I guess different people have different needs, and pdf on small devices may not be relevant for many, but in my case I can confirm that with a good pdfviewer even a 5" device makes reading pdf files a real possibility. So I do very much hope you'll continue with this endeavour, though all I can contribute is doing all the user testing you may wish for - but I am afraid i am a zero as a hacker!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
Have you thought about building a Qt based backend? This is exactly what the Kobo plugin interface was made for, custom viewers for additional document types. This would give full integration with the rest of nickel. I haven't looked at the kindlepdfviewer source yet, but the build you uploaded looks really promising as a better pdf viewer.
Yes, in fact I thought about it, but I wouldn't know where to start. It surely would be ideal, and also what is being done on the paperwhite.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
luksurious
luksurious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for the port Giorgio!

I just recently bought a Glo and I am very interested in this alternative viewer. (Especially landscape mode looks promising because I have a lot of powerpoint slides in PDF format for my studies.)

I am currently trying to setup development for the port (forked it on github) but I didn't get it to compile with cygwin. Trying with a Virtualbox now.

I haven't done C in a very long time, and no experience with Lua. But I'll see what I can do to improve the port.

Regards
luksurious is offline   Reply With Quote