Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Dterm
Dterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: T1
Check the time while reading (clock feature)

I have the 650 and there is a nice feature while reading that you just press the right-most button on the bottom (Options), and the current time comes up at the bottom of the screen. Press the button again, and you're back to reading.
Handy to quickly check the time while you're reading!

Does anyone know of a nice trick like this on the T1?
Dterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Unfortunately, no. I miss the time feature too. You have to press the menu (options) button on the T1 home screen to see the time (rather than within your book). It is inconvenient to exit your book and more disruptive to reading.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dterm View Post
I have the 650 and there is a nice feature while reading that you just press the right-most button on the bottom (Options), and the current time comes up at the bottom of the screen. Press the button again, and you're back to reading.
Handy to quickly check the time while you're reading!

Does anyone know of a nice trick like this on the T1?
I don't find I need to push the button again as the time display disappears within seconds.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
With PRS+ installed, the time is always shown in the bottom status bar while reading (which I love there, I can't imagine being without the time). I'm guessing of course, but I would think that sooner or later kartu will have PRS+ for the T1 and that will solve having to press any buttons to see the time.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
While this is kind of off-topic, I actually dislike having the time staring at me (I use PRS+). I prefer to disable it. Last thing I need for my ebook reader is to constantly remind me I should be either working or sleeping instead of trying to find out whether Jon Snow will, eventually, end up on the Iron Throne...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
And I'm the opposite. I usually read while waiting to go pick up something or for a train, etc., where I have xx amount of time before I need to get going. So it's really handy to keep an eye on the time when I know I have to leave at 12:25 without having to pull my watch out or hit any other buttons. Keeps the reading flow going for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Either way, I was mostly kidding - it's nice to have the option. I wouldn't use it, but I can see why others would like it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I do like the minimalistic approach in the software on the T1.

Real books don't have the time on every page, I can always check my watch if I need to check the time.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
anthoreader
anthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-T1 or Kindle Touch
The question remains, is there a short way of checking the time without going to the menu then the notifications bar? The T1 is running android so perhaps they haven't implemented.
anthoreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #10
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I don't find I need to push the button again as the time display disappears within seconds.
Doesn't on mine.

Pressing the Options button not only brings up the time at the bottom of the screen but the remainder of the screen is obscured by the options menu, which appears to stay there until you either touch the X in the top right corner or press the Options button again.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoreader View Post
The question remains, is there a short way of checking the time without going to the menu then the notifications bar? The T1 is running android so perhaps they haven't implemented.
The answer is no.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoreader View Post
You could just look at your watch .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could just look at your watch.
Watch, what watch?

I haven't wore a watch since I lost mine playing beach volleyball after I left it on the side of the court around 1992.

I love the little clock on my 950 courtesy of PRS+.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-21-2011 at 03:51 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Dterm
Dterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: T1
I guess I just became accustomed to checking the time like that on the 650. Two places I can think of off-hand where it's useful are at the beach and reading on the toilet (don't tell me you don't do it!)
Probably a simple enough feature for Sony to add in a firmware update, however I doubt they think of it as a 'feature' per say on the 650...just something us users have discovered that the software designer stuck in that particular spot on a whim. I don't believe it's in the manual anywhere for the 650.

I like the comment about 'books' not having the time on every page. That being said, most every other device we carry around, from cell/smart phones to ipads, all display the time plainly enough - reducing the need to wear a wrist watch or carry a pocket watch-on-chain anylonger!

At any rate, we've all set up the date/time on the T1; it would be nice to be able to check it more easily if so desired!
Dterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I read a lot at night or in the morning when I'm still in my pajamas and not wearing a watch. I have become accustomed to the convenience of the x50 models. Sony does think of the time as a feature on the T1 because they wrote how to check it into the T1 manual.

Tags
clock, date, features, prs-t1, time